+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Expired soon

yaghojo

Sep 13, 2013
Hello there,
I got my PR in june 2012, all the time till now working outside of Canad , just Visit Canada 2 times for a short time (3 weeks ),, My PR will expire next June 2018,, my question is : If I return before June they will permit me without any remarks or questions.. and I should stay for 2 years without any exceptions to leave for emergency for example ,,

thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello there,
I got my PR in june 2012, all the time till now working outside of Canad , just Visit Canada 2 times for a short time (3 weeks ),, My PR will expire next June 2018,, my question is : If I return before June they will permit me without any remarks or questions.. and I should stay for 2 years without any exceptions to leave for emergency for example ,,

thanks
There are so many posts here on the same subject but assuming you have a PR card that expires June 2018 you can still travel to Canada and will as a PR be entitled to enter the country.

Given you have failed the residency obligation it is likely you will be reported and the process to revoke your PR status will start subject to appeal which given limited time you spent in country unlikely to succeed.

If on the other hand you are lucky to not get reported at the border you will need to stay for 2 years minimum without leaving at all, not renew your PR card for 2 years and basically have no interaction with IRCC. If you leave at all without a PR card you would need a PRTD to return which would highlight the RO failure starting the revoke process.

To clarify PR cards expire PR status never expires and can only be renounced or revoked.

yaghojo

Sep 13, 2013
Thank you for your valuable replied,,, but if I stay for 2 years this period will be consider or calculate , mean + 1 year stay more can submit for Canadian Nationality .
thank you in advance

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thank you for your valuable replied,,, but if I stay for 2 years this period will be consider or calculate , mean + 1 year stay more can submit for Canadian Nationality .
thank you in advance
If you stay in Canada for 3 years without leaving then you could apply for citizenship if that is what you are asking. For citizenship you must have spent 3 years in the 5 years preceeding a citizenship application physically in Canada.

Reactions: Buletruck

yaghojo

Sep 13, 2013
If you stay in Canada for 3 years without leaving then you could apply for citizenship if that is what you are asking. For citizenship you must have spent 3 years in the 5 years preceeding a citizenship application physically in Canada.
you mean 2 years stay after my PR expired plus 1 year the total 3 years will be enough for citizenship application ..
regards

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
you mean 2 years stay after my PR expired plus 1 year the total 3 years will be enough for citizenship application ..
regards
I think that’s what I said although nothing to do with PR cards expiring it is all about physical presence in Canada.

For citizenship applications you need to show 3 years physical presence in Canada in the 5 years prior to the time of a citizenship application so yes 2+1 equal 3.

Could be possible that with your PR residency history an application might get more scrutiny so maybe wise to exceed the minimum requirement by 6-12 months , no way to predict so upto you.

For sure though first challenge is to overcome the PR residency obligation challenge and enter Canada without being reported, then think about citizenship some time in the future.

yaghojo

Sep 13, 2013
I think that’s what I said although nothing to do with PR cards expiring it is all about physical presence in Canada.

For citizenship applications you need to show 3 years physical presence in Canada in the 5 years prior to the time of a citizenship application so yes 2+1 equal 3.

Could be possible that with your PR residency history an application might get more scrutiny so maybe wise to exceed the minimum requirement by 6-12 months , no way to predict so upto you.

For sure though first challenge is to overcome the PR residency obligation challenge and enter Canada without being reported, then think about citizenship some time in the future.

Thank you so much dear