+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR expired- Option to renew or reapply new PR application

sara007

Jan 4, 2013
I want to know options for maintaining PR status if I could not fulfill 2 years of stay in Canada during 5 years period.

I stayed and worked in Toronto on Work Permit from Aug 2011 till Nov 2014. Based on that I applied for PR in CEC category and got COPR in Dec 2013.

After Landing and getting PR stamped on my passport in April,2014 - i could only stay 6 months post PR stamping in Canada till Nov,2014 and returned back to India due to family emergency - Father's Cancer treatment.
And I could not return to Canada till date. My PR status expired on 20th June 2019.

Now I want to move back to Canada to work and settle so wanted to know if i can renew my PR status or should I be applying new FSW application again.

Does my PR status automatically got revoked on July 20th, 2019, I did not receive any communication from CIC?
Is there a way I can renew my existing PR status?

I understand i do not meet post PR 2 years work exp criteria in Canada, hence wanted to check if there are any options available?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
The PR status does not get immediately revoked.

You can apply for a PR Travel Document, and in that application you can try to make the case as to why your father's cancer treatment meant you could not return to Canada for six years. Honestly, unless there was no one else in the world who would care for him, your case may be challenging to make.

If your application for a PR Travel Document is approved, you can return to Canada.

If it is refused, the process to revoke your PR will begin - a process you can appeal and make further the case why your father's cancer treatments prevented you from returning to Canada for six years. If you do not appeal or your appeal is refused, you will lose your PR status and can re-apply, provided you have enough CRS points.

If you do not wish to go through this process of applying for a PRTD and potentially being refused, you can renounce your PR status now and re-apply for PR.

Reactions: sara007

sara007

Jan 4, 2013

You can apply for a PR Travel Document, and in that application you can try to make the case as to why your father's cancer treatment meant you could not return to Canada for six years. Honestly, unless there was no one else in the world who would care for him, your case may be challenging to make.

If your application for a PR Travel Document is approved, you can return to Canada.

If it is refused, the process to revoke your PR will begin - a process you can appeal and make further the case why your father's cancer treatments prevented you from returning to Canada for six years. If you do not appeal or your appeal is refused, you will lose your PR status and can re-apply, provided you have enough CRS points.

If you do not wish to go through this process of applying for a PRTD and potentially being refused, you can renounce your PR status now and re-apply for PR.

Do I have to apply for PR travel document in my home country currently,is, India?

If PR travel document is approved, how long can I stay and work in Canada? What will be the further process?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Do I have to apply for PR travel document in my home country currently,is, India?

If PR travel document is approved, how long can I stay and work in Canada? What will be the further process?
You cannot apply for a PRTD in Canada. Otherwise, if you apply from another country, you may harm your argument that you were unable to return to Canada - for example, if you're in the UAE working, that doesn't support an argument that you had to stay in India for your father's care.

If your PRTD is approved, you are a PR and can return to Canada to settle. You have to meet the residency obligations in the future.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Has your father passed away? If so did you return to Canada as soon as ppssible? You will alsp have to show that there were no other family members in India who could care foe your family. If you have been working in the UAE it would indicate that you could work in Canada.

sara007

Jan 4, 2013
You cannot apply for a PRTD in Canada. Otherwise, if you apply from another country, you may harm your argument that you were unable to return to Canada - for example, if you're in the UAE working, that doesn't support an argument that you had to stay in India for your father's care.

If your PRTD is approved, you are a PR and can return to Canada to settle. You have to meet the residency obligations in the future.
Ok, that was v helpful.

It's sounding most likely my PR travel document will be refused and then process to revoke my PR will start.

Instead I should renounce my PR and reapply since I believe I believe I have enough CRS points(474). Will that be a good option? Or they might say you didn't tried for PRTD or tried to renew your PR later? Will that hamper my chances of I reapply?

sara007

Jan 4, 2013
Ye
Has your father passed away? If so did you return to Canada as soon as ppssible? You will alsp have to show that there were no other family members in India who could care foe your family. If you have been working in the UAE it would indicate that you could work in Canada.
Yes, unfortunately he passed away 4 years ago but there other obligations that I was supposed to complete in India for which I can't travel outside ( I didn't goto UAE or any other country). I am in my hometown only since past 6 years and working for same company here with which I was working in Canada but their India division.
I never knew I cud travel to Canada with even 3 months to PR expiry date and continue to stay till I meet my RO. I thought I will hv to leave the country after my PR expiry date since I will have no status.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Ye

Yes, unfortunately he passed away 4 years ago but there other obligations that I was supposed to complete in India for which I can't travel outside ( I didn't goto UAE or any other country). I am in my hometown only since past 6 years and working for same company here with which I was working in Canada but their India division.
I never knew I cud travel to Canada with even 3 months to PR expiry date and continue to stay till I meet my RO. I thought I will hv to leave the country after my PR expiry date since I will have no status.
Again, PR doesn't expire. That's the PR card expiry (just like passport expiry. You do not lost a citizenship because your passport expired).

For the rest, I think you got it. You could travel to Canada before your PR CARD expired. But you could still subject to be reported upon your entry because you did not meet your RO.

sara007

Jan 4, 2013
Again, PR doesn't expire. That's the PR card expiry (just like passport expiry. You do not lost a citizenship because your passport expired).

For the rest, I think you got it. You could travel to Canada before your PR CARD expired. But you could still subject to be reported upon your entry because you did not meet your RO.
So I could be subject to be reported (which I can appeal) but they definitely can't stop me entering Canada, right?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
No, you have a right to enter Canada, but this is only if you can somehow get yourself to the United States (a country accelerating towards a cliff) and across the border to Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ye

The fact that you didn’t move for 4 years after the death will work against you.

Reactions: k.h.p.