+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR expired 3 months ago, haven't met obligations

drreem

Dec 10, 2011
Hi

I haven't been able to sleep for days thinking about this and I just stumbled on the site and pray some1 here can help me out

I landed with my family (parents and 4 younger siblings) in Sept 2006 when I was 20. I was a 4th year medical student in my home country, and after contacting universities in Canada, was told I would have to start over as my credits were non-transferable, and was advised to just finish in my home country and then come here. Since landing my family has lived here and I would come spend holidays with them, totalling about 5 months. I finally graduated April 2011 and moved here in May where I started taking exams, got 2 part time jobs and applied for a residency. The problem is that my PR card expired in September 2011, and up to today, I've only spent 1 year total in Canada. My family applied for citizenship in January and they included my file, and were given wrong advice to fib my dates so they came to 2 years. When I found out I sent a letter withdrawing my citizenship application in October but they nevertheless sent me an interview date along with the rest of my family for DEc 15. I sent another letter asking to withdraw the application, and I have copies of both letters and their tracking reports (I sent them by registered mail). When I spoke to a lawyer, he said I can just show up on the 15th and show them my letters and ask they withdraw my application.

Now my questions are: Will they allow me to withdraw my application on the day or will they insist on interviewing me? Also, am I legally in trouble for not having completed my residency requirements? Will having studied abroad be a good excuse, knowing all my family is here and I moved back as soon as I had graduated?

Please advise me, I am desperate

Thank you

bi123

Dec 19, 2010
Seems like you can get into serious trouble. Read the article on CIC website. Canadian government is cracking down on 6500 people involved in citizenship fraud and permanent residency fraud. The best you can do is to off course withdraw your application. You should have never applied for citizenship considering the risk of being caught.

I can only wish you luck. Ask anyone experiencing the same. According to CIC many people have chosen to withdraw their applicaiton....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have already asked to withdraw your citizenship application so I do not think you need to show up for this interview. However, I am not a lawyer. If you already have a lawyer and do not trust his advise, consult another one.

It was a very bad idea to "fib" your dates. This is considered misrepresentation and is taken very seriously by immigration. You can just hope that as you withdrew your application that you get away with it without any repercussions.

As for your PR, since you are in Canada now, let your card expire and do not attempt to renew it until you meet the requirements for the 5 years before you apply to renew and then you will be fine.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
You have already asked to withdraw your citizenship application so I do not think you need to show up for this interview. However, I am not a lawyer. If you already have a lawyer and do not trust his advise, consult another one.

It was a very bad idea to "fib" your dates. This is considered misrepresentation and is taken very seriously by immigration. You can just hope that as you withdrew your application that you get away with it without any repercussions.

As for your PR, since you are in Canada now, let your card expire and do not attempt to renew it until you meet the requirements for the 5 years before you apply to renew and then you will be fine.
He better show up at the interview, as they will now know that he lied on his citizenship application and has not met his residency requirements. If he appears at the interview, he may have a chance of preserving his PR status, if he doesn't I would expect that there is a good chance that he will be reported.

drreem

Dec 10, 2011
First of all thanks a lot for your replies

I contacted 2 different lawyers and they advised me to withdraw my application which I did in October and then resent another letter 2 days ago after I received the notice for the test. Which is better: me showing up on the day and explaining that I already asked to withdraw my application or just not show up since I already requested they withdraw it?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So you got a notice to appear but which was it, interview or test? If it was for an interview, they may know that you lied about the dates. If it was for the test, then they don't know.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You already withdrew your application and the notice to appear for the test was probably sent before they got your withdrawal. I don't think you should go.

samhasan

Dec 17, 2011
hiii i have a question to ask if somebuddy got answer plzz help asap i got married in 2003 and my spouse applied for my canadian immigration i moved to toronto in june 2005 . i stayed in canada for 9 months and in tht time my marrige didnt survived it failed coz of some personal reasons i left canada n came 2 my home country(pakistan)in may 2006 after tht i filed for divorce and got it in 2008 got married again in dec 2008 my pr card expiered in oct 2010 now i want to get my pr card renewed wht r the possibilities i was a house wife whn i was in canada didnt worked but in my country i m a professional fashion designer with higher education and 10 yrs of work experience my question is
1- shd i apply for travel document and if i enter in canada on travel document ll they consider my story and give me pr card again and let me go back 2 my country coz i ve a 1 yr old baby as well
2- will they ask me 2 b thr and ask me 4 interview or my 6 yrs of absence whr bouts?
3 - wht shd i do and how
4- can i apply for humanitarian grounds coz pakistan is not safe anymore for me and my family how shd i sponser my baby?
plz reply asap

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
samhasan said:
hiii i have a question to ask if somebuddy got answer plzz help asap i got married in 2003 and my spouse applied for my canadian immigration i moved to toronto in june 2005 . i stayed in canada for 9 months and in tht time my marrige didnt survived it failed coz of some personal reasons i left canada n came 2 my home country(pakistan)in may 2006 after tht i filed for divorce and got it in 2008 got married again in dec 2008 my pr card expiered in oct 2010 now i want to get my pr card renewed wht r the possibilities i was a house wife whn i was in canada didnt worked but in my country i m a professional fashion designer with higher education and 10 yrs of work experience my question is
1- shd i apply for travel document and if i enter in canada on travel document ll they consider my story and give me pr card again and let me go back 2 my country coz i ve a 1 yr old baby as well
2- will they ask me 2 b thr and ask me 4 interview or my 6 yrs of absence whr bouts?
3 - wht shd i do and how
4- can i apply for humanitarian grounds coz pakistan is not safe anymore for me and my family how shd i sponser my baby?
plz reply asap
1. Your chances of getting a travel document are very low.
2. They will probably just refuse
3. You can try but you are not likely to succeed.
4. They will probably tell you that if you wanted to keep your PR, you should have come back to Canada in may 2009 at the latest. You could have sponsored your husband and baby then but now you have stayed outside too long, it is too late.

However, you can always try applying for a travel document based on H&C reasons or whatever. It is not like you have anything to lose by trying. The worst case scenario, they will say no and then you are in the same situation as if you had not asked at all.

If you did get a travel document, you could apply for a TRV for your husband and baby which will probably be denied because of risk of overstay which means you have to go to Canada alone and sponsor them for PR which will in best case take months and worst case a couple of years. It would not be easy.

samhasan

Dec 17, 2011
thanks alot leon for answering all my questions in detail so tht means i lost tht chance anyways if i want 2 go for immigration on my own do u think i can apply for immigration myself once i lost tht already is thr any chance?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
samhasan said:
thanks alot leon for answering all my questions in detail so tht means i lost tht chance anyways if i want 2 go for immigration on my own do u think i can apply for immigration myself once i lost tht already is thr any chance?
You have to see if you still qualify. First apply for the travel document to get an official answer to the question if your PR is gone or not. If they refuse it, they will officially revoke your PR status and then you are free to apply again.