+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR - expire in 5 months

sweetie.sweet

Nov 4, 2009
Dear All,

Please clarify me on this again.

I lived in Canada for 3 years and 10 months as PR, worked 3 years and 9 months, paid all the tax as well. But I dont have any property there. Applied citizenship and got RQ on Nov 2013 on after test, passed the test. Because I moved to US as PR to stay with my husband who is US citizen. My Canadian PR will be expired on end of Dec 2014.

Do I need to renew my Canaidan PR? But I am US green card holder as well. If I moved to other country as the PR, my green card in US will be at risk.

If I dont renew my Canadian PR, will they close my citizenship file?

I can still go to Canada as the visitor by using my passport and US greencard. If I dont renew my PR and would like to go back to Canada as PR again in case, something happen in my life here in US. Can I still do it?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What is your question?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sweetie.sweet said:
Dear All,

I lived in Canada for 3 years and 10 months as PR, worked 3 years and 9 months, paid all the tax as well. But I dont have any property there. Applied citizenship and got RQ on Nov 2013 on after test, passed the test. Because I moved to US as PR to stay with my husband who is US citizen. My Canadian PR will be expired on end of Dec 2014.

Do I need to renew my Canaidan PR? But I am US green card holder as well. If I moved to other country as the PR, my green card in US will be at risk.

I can still go to Canada as the visitor by using my passport and US greencard. If I dont renew my PR and would like to go back to Canada as PR again in case, something happen in my life here in US. Can I still do it?
You don't need to renew your PR card at this time. However, you have to make sure that you spend at least 2 years in Canada out of any 5 in order to keep your PR. That means you are allowed up to 3 years outside.

Immigration Canada generally doesn't know when you don't meet the residency obligation any more because they don't do exit checks and they aren't checking all PR's whereabouts at all times but you could lose your PR for example if you enter Canada and they realize that you are a PR that doesn't meet the RO. They could report you and as a result, your PR could be revoked. If your PR was under investigation like that, you would not be able to get citizenship.

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sweetie.sweet said:
Dear All,

What you are asking, is you were RQed and it is still until review. Meanwhile your PR Card will expire in 5 months. So you want to know how you can keep the Canadian PR Card while your Citizenship application is still pending.

If you meet the reuirement of PR Card renewal (2 years living in Canada within last 5 years), then you can renew it again. As for your Citizenship Application, that may be another case - as the Agent surely will notice the long absense after your application.

On another note, since you are worried that if you leave US for long, then you may loose your US Greencard. If you have US Greencard, eventually you will get US Citizenship. Why you are worried about Canadian PR / Citizenship then?

sweetie.sweet

Nov 4, 2009
Thank you so much for all your clarification. I made myself confused for the Canadian PR and US greencard. Thanks again for everything.