+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR expected in May 2020, wife is pregnant, baby due in June, please help

saahil19

Dec 20, 2019
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone may be able to offer advice.
Our PR is expected in May 2020. My wife is pregnant and is due in June. We are unsure if we should have the baby in Canada (before PR arrives) or in our current country of residence which is South Africa.

If we have the baby in South Africa, what is the process in regards to documentation for the baby once born, for Canada. As obviously we had not put an application through for the baby. Does anyone have an estimated time on how long the process is for an application for a new born baby. Also should we inform Canada Immigration that my wife is pregnant?

Another question, after receiving PR, usually how long or how much time does Canada Immigration give you to enter Canada? If anyone has had to give birth in Canada, do you by any chance know what costs are involved or an estimated costs for birth/delivery etc, as we would not have any medical cover as yet.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
If you are not currently living in Canada and do not have access to provincial health care, IMO, you should give birth in South Africa and then add the baby to your application. If you already have your COPR, you will need to send that back and a new one with your baby accompanying will be given to you. I believe it takes another couple of months to complete that.

This is my suggestion because you are not automatically eligible for coverage under the province (except Alberta?) for health care and will need to pay for all delivery costs. If anything becomes complicated, the amount you will need to pay can be exponential.

But IF your destination is Alberta anyway and you plan to live there you should be fine.

I think your problem will be the airline though. At 8 months pregnant, not sure your wife will be allowed to fly. Lastly, congratulations!

Reactions: khaira1221