+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR eligibility and closed work permit

anjansara

Jan 1, 2020
Hello,

I'm currently working in a Canadian based company in India. I've just started the procedures to apply for Express Entry (with spouse) where I've initiated the WES evaluation process, getting reference letters from previous employers and started the preparation for IELTS.

I would like to know if I'm getting an intra-company transfer to an office in Canada (may be closed work permit) from the current employer:
  • Can I still continue with my Express Entry procedures for getting PR or is it a different process?
  • Whether transfer letter or work permit (showing my employment details for so and so year) will be considered as a valid job offer ?
  • Whether I'm eligible for receiving any additional points in my CRS score with this transfer?
  1. If yes, is it necessary to have prior work experience in Canada to get these additional points ?
  2. If not, what should I receive from the current employer to get additional points ?
Appreciate if you can assist me with above queries and please provide your suggestions as well. Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I'm currently working in a Canadian based company in India. I've just started the procedures to apply for Express Entry (with spouse) where I've initiated the WES evaluation process, getting reference letters from previous employers and started the preparation for IELTS.

I would like to know if I'm getting an intra-company transfer to an office in Canada (may be closed work permit) from the current employer:
  • Can I still continue with my Express Entry procedures for getting PR or is it a different process?
  • Whether transfer letter or work permit (showing my employment details for so and so year) will be considered as a valid job offer ?
  • Whether I'm eligible for receiving any additional points in my CRS score with this transfer?
  1. If yes, is it necessary to have prior work experience in Canada to get these additional points ?
  2. If not, what should I receive from the current employer to get additional points ?
Appreciate if you can assist me with above queries and please provide your suggestions as well. Thanks
- Yes, you can continue with the Express Entry process.
- No, this will not be classified as a job offer. You have to move to Canada and work in Canada for a year before the ICT transfer can be classified as a job offer.
- No, no extra points.

Again, to get the additional points, you need to move to Canada and work here for a full year first. If you want the points faster, your employer has to obtain an approved LMIA.

anjansara

Jan 1, 2020
- No, this will not be classified as a job offer. You have to move to Canada and work in Canada for a year before the ICT transfer can be classified as a job offer.
- No, no extra points.

Again, to get the additional points, you need to move to Canada and work here for a full year first. If you want the points faster, your employer has to obtain an approved LMIA.
- No, no extra points.

Thanks for the swift response.

I'm an IT professional and my NOC is 2283. Can you please help me with the best option to proceed now?
  • Continue with the Express Entry process OR
  • Move to Canada based on the closed work permit from the current employer and then apply for PR after first year.
Let's suppose I shall be moving to Canada based on the work permit this year (2020). In this case,
  1. Can I still apply for ICT after the completion of first year ? Does this require LMIA approval ?
  2. Whether current company can sponsor my PR or I have to go through my current Express Entry process after first year?
  3. What are the chances of getting PR if I'm applying it in the second half of 2021 (after completing first work year in Canada)?
Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the swift response.

I'm an IT professional and my NOC is 2283. Can you please help me with the best option to proceed now?
  • Continue with the Express Entry process OR
  • Move to Canada based on the closed work permit from the current employer and then apply for PR after first year.
Let's suppose I shall be moving to Canada based on the work permit this year (2020). In this case,
  1. Can I still apply for ICT after the completion of first year ? Does this require LMIA approval ?
  2. Whether current company can sponsor my PR or I have to go through my current Express Entry process after first year?
  3. What are the chances of getting PR if I'm applying it in the second half of 2021 (after completing first work year in Canada)?
Thanks in advance.
It's really up to you how you want to proceed. You can continue with Express Entry and also move to Canada under an ICT at the same time. Note that ICTs aren't always that easy to get approved. You must either hold a senior executive role to be approved or your company must demonstrate that you have very specialized knowledge.

1. I don't understand this question. I'm not sure what you mean by 'apply for ICT after the completion of the first year'. The ICT requires that you be working for your company outside of Canada.
2. A company cannot sponsor PR. You have to apply on your own. You can get additional points or be nominated for having a job offer - but you are the one who has to apply.
3. Impossible to say. It all depends on how many points you have and what the point cut off is at that time. Right now you need around 470 points to be selected. How many points do you have?

anjansara

Jan 1, 2020
It's really up to you how you want to proceed. You can continue with Express Entry and also move to Canada under an ICT at the same time. Note that ICTs aren't always that easy to get approved. You must either hold a senior executive role to be approved or your company must demonstrate that you have very specialized knowledge.

1. I don't understand this question. I'm not sure what you mean by 'apply for ICT after the completion of the first year'. The ICT requires that you be working for your company outside of Canada.
2. A company cannot sponsor PR. You have to apply on your own. You can get additional points or be nominated for having a job offer - but you are the one who has to apply.
3. Impossible to say. It all depends on how many points you have and what the point cut off is at that time. Right now you need around 470 points to be selected. How many points do you have?
Hello,

As I mentioned earlier, I just started the process for Express Entry and yet to write IELTS. On a rough calculation, my CRS score is coming around 455 with 8777 for IELTS, which is obviously not enough.

- Whether companies can provide work permit to employees at lower levels (e.g. Team Lead/Manager with 10 year experience) to work in Canada? If yes, this work experience adds any point in CRS?​

As far as I know, this express entry program will be continued only till 2021. Hence, I would like to explore the different possibilities of increasing my score before that.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

As I mentioned earlier, I just started the process for Express Entry and yet to write IELTS. On a rough calculation, my CRS score is coming around 455 with 8777 for IELTS, which is obviously not enough.

- Whether companies can provide work permit to employees at lower levels (e.g. Team Lead/Manager with 10 year experience) to work in Canada? If yes, this work experience adds any point in CRS?​

As far as I know, this express entry program will be continued only till 2021. Hence, I would like to explore the different possibilities of increasing my score before that.
An ICT almost certainly won't be approved for a team lead / manager - it needs to be an executive role such as division head. Your company could try to prove that you have specialized knowledge and that's why they need you here on the ICT - however they will need to prove this in the application.

If they cannot prove that you have specialized knowledge, then they would need to obtain an approved LMIA in order for you to qualify for a work permit.

anjansara

Jan 1, 2020
Thanks for your answers.

One last question, what are the other available options to increase my CRS score? Anything my current Canada based employer can help with to boost my score?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your answers.

One last question, what are the other available options to increase my CRS score? Anything my current Canada based employer can help with to boost my score?
Only thing your employer can do to help you is get an approved LMIA and that was already covered.

Always opportunities for you to increase your score yourself. For starters, you have room for improvement on your IELTS score. This is one of the easiest ways to get more points. You could get more education to get more points. Learn French. Etc. Almost everything is up to you - not your employer.

anjansara

Jan 1, 2020
Only thing your employer can do to help you is get an approved LMIA and that was already covered.

Always opportunities for you to increase your score yourself. For starters, you have room for improvement on your IELTS score. This is one of the easiest ways to get more points. You could get more education to get more points. Learn French. Etc. Almost everything is up to you - not your employer.
Thank you so much for answering these queries.