+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR deadline questions

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Hi,

My COPR is dated 28 June 2017.

I touched down on 9th August, 2017 and COPR was all signed.

I got my PR card two months later. On the back it says "PR since 9th Aug 2017".

The card expires 30th September 2022.

What is the latest i can get to Canada in order to do my 2 out of 5 years? Is it the COPR date or the landing date? i.e. 28th June or 9th August?

I actually spent two months there waiting for my PR card, so i have theoretically done 2 months out of five years so far.

Other question I have is: i have had a new passport since getting PR. Do i need to notify anybody of this?

Many thanks
Berty

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Everything is based around initial landing date not card issue date so you need to spend 22 more months in Canada before 9th August 2022, if that was your initial landing date. . Not sure what reference to 28 June is when you say touched down 9 th August which is it ? If you actually landed 28 th June then 22 months by 28th June 2022.

COPR issue date or PR card issue date are irrelevant the actual landing date at POE is the important date

For the passport no need advise anyone, you can travel with your new passport and PR card

Last edited:
Reactions: Berty3000

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Thanks mate - very helpful and appreciated.

The June date is the one on my PRTD document. Or is it COPR? The piece of paper i had to take for my soft landing.

22 months? I thought it was supposed to be two years out of every five? Or were you including my two months already spent there?

Now i just have to hope i can take a flight there. I was planning to go in June. Do you think the Canadian government will allow extensions for people if they are unable to enter in time for the deadline?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Thanks mate - very helpful and appreciated.

The June date is the one on my PRTD document. Or is it COPR? The piece of paper i had to take for my soft landing.

22 months? I thought it was supposed to be two years out of every five? Or were you including my two months already spent there?

Now i just have to hope i can take a flight there. I was planning to go in June. Do you think the Canadian government will allow extensions for people if they are unable to enter in time for the deadline?
1. It is from the date you "landed" 09 August 2017. You have to return by 09 Oct 2020 and remain continuously in Canada to maintain your Residency Obligation.

Reactions: Berty3000

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Would it be enough to have the stamps in my passport to show i was there for two months, or rental car agreement emails?

What if i show up in September and the official at the airport says i missed my August deadline?