+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR cards surrender??

quark.arc

Dec 1, 2012
Hi,

I am new to the forum and need advise on my future course of action. I landed in Canada in January 2008 with my family and got PR cards. We stayed for few weeks and then returned.

During this time I got admitted in PhD program in British Columbia. I arrived in Canada in August 2012 with my family to take a single semester. This didn't work out and I extended my joining date to May 2013; instead I took a graduate course in Toronto as special student. I will fly out of the country after completing the semester.

I am confused whether I surrender the PR cards and apply for student visa after flying out? Or can I get my PR converted in student visa before leaving the country? I recently came to know that immigration is open for PhD students. Can this help me in any case?

Thanks

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need to be physically present in Canada for 730 days in every 5 year rolling period i.e. on each day you ask yourself "Am I a PR?" count back 5 years and check if you have physically been in Canada for at least 730 days.

You have not met your PR Obligation but CIC are not aware as yet. Eventually they will when you:

1. Enter Canada and the border agent asks how long you've been out of Canada.

2. Apply for a PR Card renewal.

3. Apply for a Travel Document when your PR Card expires and you are not visa exempt to enter Canada.

At this time CIC will commence a process for your PR to be revoked. Until the Immigration Board decide on this you retain PR so you can't convert to a Student. I see no reason from your profile for the Board not to revoke PR.

You can voluntarily relinquish your PR status. After this you can apply for a student visa but will have to meet all the conditions for this category.

If your family remains in Canada then your spouse can sponsor you subject to maintaining requirements e.g. not owing child support etc. If not then you can apply for PR at a later date depending on which category and you meeting the requirements.

You need to decide of you want to live in Canada or not...PR status is not an extended visitor's visa.