+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card wait time + CoPR expiring in 2 months

KhaledAR1994

Feb 5, 2021
My CoPR is expiring in 2 months and I still have no PR card. I am still in Canada. Will I need to get a new CoPR once my current one expires if I don't get my PR card yet?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My CoPR is expiring in 2 months and I still have no PR card. I am still in Canada. Will I need to get a new CoPR once my current one expires if I don't get my PR card yet?
Your COPR doesn't 'expire' - the original validity period (probalby one year) was the period within which it could be used to land/become a PR. After that, it's just a record of the fact that you became a PR on date etc. You cannot 'get a new one' or renew it once you've landed. Since PR status does not expire (can only be revoked/renounced) the presumption within Canada is generally that 'became a PR - remain a PR.'

Granted I know that doesn't help you for the things where the PR card is required.

Haven't followed why you still do not have PR card, but forget about the COPR issue - you're still a PR, still legal, still able to work in Canada, everything. (PR card itself expiring doesn't mean end of status either).

But the only thing worth pursuing here is the PR card and why you don't have it.