+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card validity length when returning to Canada

poornapragna

Jan 2, 2023
Hi,

My PR card expires April 2024.
I return to Canada(from India) in January 2024.
Will I have any issues because card expires soon?

I'm only worried because in India they check validity for 6 months later with passports.

I will some for a renewal in January 2024.

Is there any requirement for PR card to be valid for at least 6 more months on the date of travel?

Thank you.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

My PR card expires April 2024.
I return to Canada(from India) in January 2024.
Will I have any issues because card expires soon?

I'm only worried because in India they check validity for 6 months later with passports.

I will some for a renewal in January 2024.

Is there any requirement for PR card to be valid for at least 6 more months on the date of travel?

Thank you.
From April of 2019 to today, how many days have you spent in Canada? Are you stating that your return to Canada next January will be after a long absence?

Your current [valid] PR Card will allow you to return to Canada via a commercial carrier as long as it is valid. Once you arrive and then encounter CBSA (at the airport for example), they may ask you questions about your meeting of the Residency Obligation to maintain your PR status, if they suspect that you will not be able to meet the R.O. (730 days or more in each rolling 5 year period). If you have not spent any real time in Canada since your current card was issued (assuming it is valid for 5 years), you may experience problems with CBSA upon your return, but in any event you will be allowed to enter Canada.

poornapragna

Jan 2, 2023
From April of 2019 to today, how many days have you spent in Canada? Are you stating that your return to Canada next January will be after a long absence?

Your current [valid] PR Card will allow you to return to Canada via a commercial carrier as long as it is valid. Once you arrive and then encounter CBSA (at the airport for example), they may ask you questions about your meeting of the Residency Obligation to maintain your PR status, if they suspect that you will not be able to meet the R.O. (730 days or more in each rolling 5 year period). If you have not spent any real time in Canada since your current card was issued (assuming it is valid for 5 years), you may experience problems with CBSA upon your return, but in any event you will be allowed to enter Canada.
I've spent most of the last 4 years in Canada. I only traveled to India recently. I may have spent a maximum of 200 days outside Canada since 2019 April.

I am not worried about Residency Obligation. Just about entering Canada. I am only worried because in Indian airports I've seen them ask for 6 months validity of identity cards :( Technically they don't even need to check PR card validity in India because it's checked in Canada on arrival but they still do and insist on many this.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I've spent most of the last 4 years in Canada. I only traveled to India recently. I may have spent a maximum of 200 days outside Canada since 2019 April.

I am not worried about Residency Obligation. Just about entering Canada. I am only worried because in Indian airports I've seen them ask for 6 months validity of identity cards :( Technically they don't even need to check PR card validity in India because it's checked in Canada on arrival but they still do and insist on many this.
There's no such requirement in Canada. Your airline may or may not know this, however.