+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card time line

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
PMM said:
Hi

Go to another Service Canada office, if you check the forum you will see tons of new immigrants getting their SINs with their COPR.
Not if you land Inland I am afraid.......Service canada will not issue a SIN number with just the COPR paper, they require the visa bit that is stapled inside your passport when land at a POE.

I have been to Service Canada, having spoken to numerous people about this but the fact is....if you land Inland, until that PR card arrives no one will give you anything even a driving license with just the COPR paper.

This Government issued piece of paper that people are willing to lie about....commit fraud for...almost kill for... etc is absolutely worthless in the eyes of all other Government agencies.

Like I said before.....immigration sucks sometimes :p

darelro

Mar 16, 2010
Just to give an update. Landed 21st April Edmonton, the PR card was mailed June 4th.
It looks like it takes 6.5 weeks to be made and maybe 1 week more for delivery. Total time right now 7.5 weeks.

Maly

May 2, 2010
You don;t need PR card to get the SIN Card. Just present the COPR papers and you will get SIN card with in a week.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
Maly said:
You don;t need PR card to get the SIN Card. Just present the COPR papers and you will get SIN card with in a week.
Nope.....I went to Service Canada with my COPR papers, maybe it is different in BC to other provinces, but they would not issue me a SIN number with just the COPR paper. They required the entry visa also, that is given when you land at a POE.

When you land 'Inland', as I did, you do not get an entry visa in your passport and thus no SIN number.

Sunlight

May 26, 2010
angelbrat said:
Not if you land Inland I am afraid.......Service canada will not issue a SIN number with just the COPR paper, they require the visa bit that is stapled inside your passport when land at a POE.

I have been to Service Canada, having spoken to numerous people about this but the fact is....if you land Inland, until that PR card arrives no one will give you anything even a driving license with just the COPR paper.
You don't need the PR card to apply for a SIN number, but you do need confirmation of landing. When you receive your COPR and your passport is returned to you (together), there should be the counterfoil visa inside the passport with the date of issue and expiry date. When you land, your COPR paper is signed and dated, and -- at least in my hubby's case -- the visa was marked to show he had entered. You don't receive the visa when you land, it should already be in your passport when it is returned to you from the processing office (in our case, the file was transferred to L.A.). You need that visa in order to land.

My husband landed at the local office in Saskatoon, and immediately afterward we went down the street to the Service Canada office and he applied for his SIN number, showing his COPR as proof of permanent residency. They gave him a printout with his number on it, and his card arrived in the mail about a week later. This was in April 2010.

With regard to the PR card timeline... We were told 4-6 weeks, and unfortunately my husband's card did not arrive within that time period, and we had flights booked to the U.S. Because we were driving his truck back up and the PR card is not necessary for land crossings in a personal vehicle, we took our chances and left without it. (We had no problems at all.) The card arrived while were away, about 7.5 weeks after he landed.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
Sunlight said:
You don't need the PR card to apply for a SIN number, but you do need confirmation of landing. When you receive your COPR and your passport is returned to you (together), there should be the counterfoil visa inside the passport with the date of issue and expiry date. When you land, your COPR paper is signed and dated, and -- at least in my hubby's case -- the visa was marked to show he had entered. You don't receive the visa when you land, it should already be in your passport when it is returned to you from the processing office (in our case, the file was transferred to L.A.). You need that visa in order to land.

My husband landed at the local office in Saskatoon, and immediately afterward we went down the street to the Service Canada office and he applied for his SIN number, showing his COPR as proof of permanent residency. They gave him a printout with his number on it, and his card arrived in the mail about a week later. This was in April 2010.

With regard to the PR card timeline... We were told 4-6 weeks, and unfortunately my husband's card did not arrive within that time period, and we had flights booked to the U.S. Because we were driving his truck back up and the PR card is not necessary for land crossings in a personal vehicle, we took our chances and left without it. (We had no problems at all.) The card arrived while were away, about 7.5 weeks after he landed.

That's the difference with applying Inland, at no time is my passport requested, hence no counterfoil visa inside the passport. I assume your husbands sponsorship was an Outland application, even if he was already in Canada.

For those that apply Inland, there is never a passport request stage and this is where Service Canada and CIC havn't quite got their acts together...LOL...

No counterfoil visa......no SIN number issued until PR card arrives. Why, I have no idea but them is the rules.

ngunja

Sep 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-01-2010
AOR Received.
18-02-2010
File Transfer...
23-03-2010
Passport Req..
15-04-2010
VISA ISSUED...
20-04-2010
LANDED..........
16-05-2010
You dont need a PR card for SIN number...i got my number the day after landing...all i showed was COPR and my passport

NG

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
ngunja said:
You dont need a PR card for SIN number...i got my number the day after landing...all i showed was COPR and my passport

NG
That is because you landed Outland, like I have said previously, when you land Inland, you do not have a visa attached to the passport. Therefore you only have the COPR paper, which is not enough for Service Canada to issue a SIN.

If you read Service Canada's own web site, they state that you MUST have a PR card before applying for a SIN if you land Inland.

I hope that has clarified things now.

Zagalo

Star Member
Dec 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing , China
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2011
File Transfer...
10-01-2012
Med's Done....
3-10-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
06-03-2012
LANDED..........
13-04-2012
Some days ago ,CIC updated the Pr card waiting time from 30 to 43 days i really hope they follow this time line if not why don 't they write the real waiting time? the officer at the port of entry told me i will get the card in a month and a half by now nothing came ,i am on my 43rd day today in Canada , i have been waiting so much for that document to go back and prepare my return here , i have one more week left Gosh what a painful waiting!
Good luck to all

hiamu

Star Member
Jul 12, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
16-09-2009
File Transfer...
22-09-2009
Med's Request
1FEB2010
Med's Done....
6FEB2010
Passport Req..
1FEB2010
VISA ISSUED...
23FEB2010
LANDED..........
11JUN2010
Hi All,

I'm awaiting for my PR card. I might have to travel outside Canada for an interview. A couple of questions

A. Is it possible to travel outside Canada without PR card? (I've tried reaching the PR customer care center and waited for hours)
B. If yes, could some one use COPR document/landing paper & still travel outside Canada?

Members who have faced a similar situation....kindly, please help :(

hiamu

Star Member
Jul 12, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
16-09-2009
File Transfer...
22-09-2009
Med's Request
1FEB2010
Med's Done....
6FEB2010
Passport Req..
1FEB2010
VISA ISSUED...
23FEB2010
LANDED..........
11JUN2010
Hi All

For those who are in a similar situation. Please see the response below
HAVE TO TRAVEL OUTSIDE OF CANADA, PR CARD NOT YET RECEIVED

If you must leave the country before getting your PR card, you have to apply for a Travel document (permanent resident abroad) at a Canadian visa office located outside Canada before returning to the country. The application is available on our Web site. You can fill out the application on-line and print it or fill it out by hand. The travel document is only valid for one entry.

Please note that a PR card or travel document is required for all permanent residents returning to Canada on a commercial vehicle (plane, train, boat or bus).

The Internet links below will provide you with more detailed information: ON CIC WEBSITE

Description: Application for a Travel Document (permanent resident abroad)
Address: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

hiamu

Star Member
Jul 12, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
16-09-2009
File Transfer...
22-09-2009
Med's Request
1FEB2010
Med's Done....
6FEB2010
Passport Req..
1FEB2010
VISA ISSUED...
23FEB2010
LANDED..........
11JUN2010
Zagalo said:
Some days ago ,CIC updated the Pr card waiting time from 30 to 43 days i really hope they follow this time line if not why don 't they write the real waiting time? the officer at the port of entry told me i will get the card in a month and a half by now nothing came ,i am on my 43rd day today in Canada , i have been waiting so much for that document to go back and prepare my return here , i have one more week left Gosh what a painful waiting!
Good luck to all
Hi Zagalo Hope you receive your PR card at the earliest. I called the customer care center on August 9th Monday (luckily I made it, have been trying since long time) It would take four to six weeks after you give your Canadian address to Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Hope this info was useful to you.