+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal

killborn

Star Member
Jan 6, 2015
I would appreciate some advice on an upcoming PR Card renewal. I have been putting off applying for my citizenship mostly due to time I would need to pull together my travel history over the last 5 years, but now I am getting close to my PR card expiring and I need to be mobile for work. My card expires early July and I hit 5 years of PR (landing date 21 May 2018).
I was completing the IMM5444 when I got to Time Spent Outside Canada (5.5) on the PDF and now I am stumped. It says I must provide all of my absences for the past 5 years or since becoming a PR. I have a long list... but that said, I am confident I have met the physical presence conditions. My trips are all short work trips and some family vacation, no lengthy terms out of Canada, but I have cross the border a lot in 5 years.
I was going to request my travel history from CBSA, but then saw this notice on their page:
If you are renewing or applying for a Permanent Resident Card you do not need to request your Traveller History Report from the CBSA. Checking "Yes" on page 3, Question 23 (section E) of the application form allows IRCC to collect the report on your behalf.

I did tick the consent on IMM5444 to collect the info.

Question is, do I still have to submit the travel information and complete section 5.5 or will they pull that data themselves? Confused..

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would appreciate some advice on an upcoming PR Card renewal. I have been putting off applying for my citizenship mostly due to time I would need to pull together my travel history over the last 5 years, but now I am getting close to my PR card expiring and I need to be mobile for work. My card expires early July and I hit 5 years of PR (landing date 21 May 2018).
I was completing the IMM5444 when I got to Time Spent Outside Canada (5.5) on the PDF and now I am stumped. It says I must provide all of my absences for the past 5 years or since becoming a PR. I have a long list... but that said, I am confident I have met the physical presence conditions. My trips are all short work trips and some family vacation, no lengthy terms out of Canada, but I have cross the border a lot in 5 years.
I was going to request my travel history from CBSA, but then saw this notice on their page:
If you are renewing or applying for a Permanent Resident Card you do not need to request your Traveller History Report from the CBSA. Checking "Yes" on page 3, Question 23 (section E) of the application form allows IRCC to collect the report on your behalf.

I did tick the consent on IMM5444 to collect the info.

Question is, do I still have to submit the travel information and complete section 5.5 or will they pull that data themselves? Confused..
The problem is that because you need to populate the Travel History section with each and every trip from/to Canada, you probably need the CBSA `THR' before you fill that section of the application, right? If you had accurate records, you would not need it upfront. This is because, like many PRs, you have not kept detailed/accurate records of every trip (including a short trip across a land border to get gas, for example).

Many learn this the hard way when it's time for their first PR Card renewal!

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

killborn

Star Member
Jan 6, 2015
The problem is that because you need to populate the Travel History section with each and every trip from/to Canada, you probably need the CBSA `THR' before you fill that section of the application, right? If you had accurate records, you would not need it upfront. This is because, like many PRs, you have not kept detailed/accurate records of every trip (including a short trip across a land border to get gas, for example).

Many learn this the hard way when it's time for their first PR Card renewal!
Than you. I have now resolved this.
I do have a couple follow up questions:

1. Do my photocopies (PR Card and Passport both English) need to be notarized?
2. Many of my trips are business trips. On the new form I have top option of selecting A/B/C/Other. It is unclear if A covers business travel or refers to long term assignments abroad. Is it better to just select other vs complicating things by selecting A and needing to provide support documentation? I have about 75 business trips listed..