+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Hi all,

I am trying to decide if it would be worth it to apply for a PR card renewal.

My PR card expires in July 2023. I am planning to travel outside Canada in April 2023 and get back before the PR card expiry date.

Is it worth spending the money and going through the stress of waiting to renew the PR card?
If circumstances change and I have to apply for PRTD, how hard is the process for that?

Thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

I am trying to decide if it would be worth it to apply for a PR card renewal.

My PR card expires in July 2023. I am planning to travel outside Canada in April 2023 and get back before the PR card expiry date.

Is it worth spending the money and going through the stress of waiting to renew the PR card?
If circumstances change and I have to apply for PRTD, how hard is the process for that?

Thanks in advance.
Not hard to get a PRTD if you meet your RO but it could take a few months. You also have the option to fly to the US and travel by private car to the land border. You don’t need a valid PR card to cross a land border. You can apply to renew a PR card up to 9 months before the card expires. How much time have you spent in Canada in the last 4.5 years?

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
I have been in Canada for 2.5+ years now continuously.

But for me to fly to US, I would need a US visitor visa, right? I am an Indian citizen and don't have a valid US visitor visa

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Not hard to get a PRTD if you meet your RO but it could take a few months. You also have the option to fly to the US and travel by private car to the land border. You don’t need a valid PR card to cross a land border. You can apply to renew a PR card up to 9 months before the card expires. How much time have you spent in Canada in the last 4.5 years?

But for me to fly to US, I would need a US visitor visa, right? I am an Indian citizen and don't have a valid US visitor visa.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

But for me to fly to US, I would need a US visitor visa, right? I am an Indian citizen and don't have a valid US visitor visa
Yes you’s need a visa. You could apply to renew your PR card now if you wanted to. otherwise your options are to return before your PR card expires or risk getting stuck abroad for awhile waiting for a PRTD.

RazaM

Star Member
Jun 19, 2022

But for me to fly to US, I would need a US visitor visa, right? I am an Indian citizen and don't have a valid US visitor visa.
@krishere1982
My honest suggestion to you, not every day, every minute worth when it comes to renewing PR Card - taking into account all those bad experiences of delays that a lot of people are experiencing. This is 5th month; my PRC is not renewed, pending at printing facility for a stupid reason i.e., they have some issues with printing, just imagine someone keep saying from monthsss that they can't print something because their printer is not working.

IRCC allows renewing PRC if it's expiring in less than 9 months.
"If your permanent resident card (PR card) is expired or will expire in less than 9 months, you can apply for a new card."
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=057&top=10

If your presence obligation is fulfilled, I suggest you apply now, and don't make a mistake of applying online, send them Paper application and don't miss anything.

Good Luck.

Reactions: krishere1982

SecularFirst

Nov 21, 2015
@krishere1982
My honest suggestion to you, not every day, every minute worth when it comes to renewing PR Card - taking into account all those bad experiences of delays that a lot of people are experiencing. This is 5th month; my PRC is not renewed, pending at printing facility for a stupid reason i.e., they have some issues with printing, just imagine someone keep saying from monthsss that they can't print something because their printer is not working.

"If your permanent resident card (PR card) is expired or will expire in less than 9 months, you can apply for a new card."

If your presence obligation is fulfilled, I suggest you apply now, and don't make a mistake of applying online, send them Paper application and don't miss anything.

Good Luck.
I am in similar situation. Is there anything more that can be done or we just have to keep on waiting without any timeframe now? This is so damn frustrating. I get it if ircc has RO concerns or some security issue taking time and longer processing but what the point to keep someone waiting due to a damn printing issue. This is so third world stuff.

RazaM

Star Member
Jun 19, 2022
I am in similar situation. Is there anything more that can be done or we just have to keep on waiting without any timeframe now? This is so damn frustrating. I get it if ircc has RO concerns or some security issue taking time and longer processing but what the point to keep someone waiting due to a damn printing issue. This is so third world stuff.
What can anyone do, when a Processing Officer can't do anything other than following up with Printing Facility and he also has to wait for several weeks to get a response. I don't want to compare or sounds Thankless, but third worlds are better when it comes to processing of ID or Passport kind of thing.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
@krishere1982

Good Luck.
I am sorry to hear about such a long wait. That too for a ridiculous reason of the printer not working! Yeah I am planning to do paper application.

Thank you.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
@canuck78 , @RazaM , @SecularFirst - I am confused regarding PR card expiry date. A friend said the expiry date is 5 years from the date of issuance. He landed after me and his PR card is expiring about 6 months earlier than the expiry of my PR card. It seems like the validity of my PR card is longer than his. Is this possible? Or the expiry date is incorrectly printed on my PR card?

RazaM

Star Member
Jun 19, 2022
@canuck78 , @RazaM , @SecularFirst - I am confused regarding PR card expiry date. A friend said the expiry date is 5 years from the date of issuance. He landed after me and his PR card is expiring about 6 months earlier than the expiry of my PR card. It seems like the validity of my PR card is longer than his. Is this possible? Or the expiry date is incorrectly printed on my PR card?
No, it can't be incorrect. Yes, usually PR cards are for 5 years and in some cases for 1 year. But there is no way we can find out why his PRC expiry is 6 months earlier than you. Every case is different. Nothing to worry about, what's written on the Card is good.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
No, it can't be incorrect. Yes, usually PR cards are for 5 years and in some cases for 1 year. But there is no way we can find out why his PRC expiry is 6 months earlier than you. Every case is different. Nothing to worry about, what's written on the Card is good.
Ok. Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There may have been an issue with getting his PR card like incorrect picture size that lead to a delay in printing the PR card. PR card is only a travel document. Meeting RO is independent from any date on your PR card. You must meet the 730 days from the day you land in Canada as a PR. Don’t focus on the expiry date of your PR card.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
There may have been an issue with getting his PR card like incorrect picture size that lead to a delay in printing the PR card. PR card is only a travel document. Meeting RO is independent from any date on your PR card. You must meet the 730 days from the day you land in Canada as a PR. Don’t focus on the expiry date of your PR card.
Yeah I am meeting the RO. Thank you.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
I am filling out imm5444e - application to renew PR card. I am not able to understand what this means in the 8 - Consent and Declaration section :

'I understand the foregoing statements, having asked for and obtained an explanation on every point that was not clear to me'

We are supposed to check mark it. Can someone please help me understand what this means? I don't want to check this without understanding it.