+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal

jiff

Mar 21, 2009
Hi There

My PR obligation of 2 years I will not able to fulfil. But my PR is still valid till next year. What happen if enter with tourist visa and stay in Canada for another 2 years and renew my Card as PR card is valid? Any advice.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can not get a tourist visa if you are a PR and if your PR card is still valid, you don't need one anyway.

When you enter Canada as a PR who doesn't meet the residency requirements, it is possible that the immigration officers suspect that you don't meet them. Maybe they see something on their computer or they don't like your answers when they ask you. If they think you don't meet the residency requirements, they have the right to report you and if they do, you would have to appeal for your PR. However, if they don't report you, you can stay for a full 2 years which will bring your PR status back into good standing. Just let your PR card expire and continue your stay. Apply to renew only when you have 2 full years.

CanadianMaple

Apr 15, 2013
Leon said:
She can get it from Canada here: ...

As for other countries, I suppose you must contact their border services and ask if they have such a thing. If they reply that they will not issue that information, you can send their reply to immigration instead of the certificate.

If she fails to provide the info, they will eventually consider her renewal application abandoned. That does not mean that she loses her PR but without a PR card, it might be hard for her to travel.
Pretty useful information above, thanks for that.

I also received RFI for my 8 Yr. old kid for his Permanent Resident Card Renewal, they have demanded the following:

• Complete pages (including blank pages) of your passport/passports held in the last 5 years. Ensure all pages are clearly legible.
• Personal immigration entry/exit record or movement certificate issued by the countries where you have travelled.

The first one is easily manageable. In last 5 years my kid visited USA, and India only. I assume I still need to fetch record from CBSA using the link that you posted above, could you please confirm?

For USA I also found relevant web page, as I cannot post link I have pasted the page title below to get anyone to that web page:
Record of my travel in and out of the United States, FOIA

However, I could not find any link on how to get the entry/exit record from India, could you please provide with tips or useful link?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So they don't specifically ask for CBSA but you could get it anyway. It doesn't cost anything. On some applications forms now, there is a box to check where you state that you give immigration the right to call for CBSA records themselves. If you have had that on the PR renewal application form and checkmarked it, then you would not need to get those records.

However from the US, you can not post the link so here it is for others: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/976/~/record-of-my-travel-in-and-out-of-the-united-states

I have no link for India but at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_border_guard_agencies you can see a list of border guard agencies in many countries. If you look at India, it is likely that one of these agencies is keeping records of exits and entries. I suggest you look up their websites for links to this info or simply write to them and ask them for help. It is also possible that India doesn't keep such records or doesn't provide them to the public. If they tell you that, then you will have to forward that info to CIC.