+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal

ELENAM

May 1, 2013
Hi there, I have sponsored my mother in 2008 and her PR card expired this April, 2013. In the past 5 years she has been out of Canada on and off, however she has the 730 days required. We have applied for renewal, but she received a letter from Immigration Canada asking for "personal immigration entry/exit record or movement certificate issued by the countries where you have travelled". Is it often that Immigration Canada asks for such a thing? And how would I be able to get this information?

What happens if she doesn't renew her PR card? Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She can get it from Canada here: http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/req-dem-priv-eng.html

As for other countries, I suppose you must contact their border services and ask if they have such a thing. If they reply that they will not issue that information, you can send their reply to immigration instead of the certificate.

If she fails to provide the info, they will eventually consider her renewal application abandoned. That does not mean that she loses her PR but without a PR card, it might be hard for her to travel.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ELENAM said:
Hi there, I have sponsored my mother in 2008 and her PR card expired this April, 2013. In the past 5 years she has been out of Canada on and off, however she has the 730 days required. We have applied for renewal, but she received a letter from Immigration Canada asking for "personal immigration entry/exit record or movement certificate issued by the countries where you have travelled". Is it often that Immigration Canada asks for such a thing? And how would I be able to get this information?

What happens if she doesn't renew her PR card? Thank you.
CIC appear not to believe her declared presence in Canada...how many 'In Canada' days did she declare and what countries has she been living in when not in Canada? Did she work or volunteer during her time in Canada? This would collaborate her declared days.

Gmalik

May 2, 2013
Hi,

Our PR card will be expiring in July'15. I entered Canada in 2010 with Family after getting my immigration. I got my PR card and then returned to my home country as I had job there.

I would like to know if I can enter Canada 3 months before my PR expires and stay there for continuos period of two years.

Will Canadian authorities renew our PR?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If they do not catch you on entry and report you for not meeting the residency requirements and you stay out of their way during the two years you need to qualify again, that is you do not apply to sponsor anybody and you do not try to renew your PR, you will after 2 years be in the situation that you are still a PR because your PR status was never revoked and you have 2 years in Canada in the past 5 which means you meet the residency requirements.

Immigration own rules state and in such a case, they must renew your PR card. They are not allowed to go further back in time than 5 years, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf on page 7 where it says:

Even if a person had resided away from Canada for many years, but returned to Canada and resided there for a minimum of 730 days during the last five years, that person would comply with the residency obligation and remain a permanent resident. An officer is not permitted to consider just any five-year period in the applicant’s past, but must always assess the most recent five-year period preceding the receipt of the application.

Gmalik

May 2, 2013
Re: PR card renewal-returning after 4 1/2 years

Hi there,

I would like to know if I can come to Canada six months before the PR expiry and stay in Canada for the next 2 two years and then apply for PR renewal.

Please note that my PR was issued in July 2010. I came to Canada for a month on leave to get me PR and then left Canada because I had to resume my Job back in my home country. Now, I have an offer to work in the Middle east and I wanted to know if I can work in the middle east for 1 1/2 years and then go to Canada when six months will remain for my PR expiry. I will stay in Canada for the next two years and then apply for PR renewal. That means, my PR would have already expired before I complete two years in Canada.

1) Can I live in Canada after my PR expires to complete 2 yr requirement?
2) Can I renew my PR in my case?

Your info on this will be appreciated.

Regards
GM

fuad1980

Star Member
May 3, 2013
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore/Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
21 June 2014
LANDED..........
18 July 2014

Dear GM,

Yes, you will be allowed to enter Canada before six months of your PR expiry - there is nothing illegal here as your are PR holder. But you need to wait and continuously stay for the next 2 years and then apply for the renewal of the PR Card. They might decline your application of PR renewal if you apply before completing 2 years residency requirement.

Regards,
Fuad

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He will be allowed to enter Canada before 6 months of PR card expiry. However, it is possible that immigration will question him about meeting the residency requirements. If they believe that he doesn't meet them, they have the right to report him for it. If they report him, he will have to appeal for his PR and working outside Canada because he got a really good job is not a reason they would accept so they could revoke his PR and ask him to leave.

Only if he gets into Canada without being reported will he be able to stay for 2 years in order to meet the residency requirements again.

Currently, it is not very common to get reported on entry and there is currently no law that says you must have a PR card when you are living in Canada or that you must renew it right away when it expires but this could also change in the next few years.

In order to be completely safe with your PR, make sure you return to Canada while you can still meet the 2 years in Canada requirement before your 5 years PR anniversary. That means the day you landed, not the expiry date on your PR card.

Gmalik

May 2, 2013

Hi Fuad,

Thank you for the information.

I have another question, suppose I enter Canada six months before PR expiry and stay there after the PR expiry to complete two years but inbetween I have a need to go out of Canada for a few days. How can I do that after my PR has expired?

Please help.

Regards
GM

fuad1980 said:
Dear GM,

Yes, you will be allowed to enter Canada before six months of your PR expiry - there is nothing illegal here as your are PR holder. But you need to wait and continuously stay for the next 2 years and then apply for the renewal of the PR Card. They might decline your application of PR renewal if you apply before completing 2 years residency requirement.

Regards,
Fuad

fuad1980

Star Member
May 3, 2013
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore/Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
21 June 2014
LANDED..........
18 July 2014

Dear GM,

If your PR card expired and you need to go out of Canada, then you won't be able to come back unless you have a valid entry permission.

Regards,
Fuad

Gmalik

May 2, 2013

Dear Fuad,

Is it easy/difficult to get entry permission? What is the procedure to get it?

Regards
GM

fuad1980 said:
Dear GM,

If your PR card expired and you need to go out of Canada, then you won't be able to come back unless you have a valid entry permission.

Regards,
Fuad

jiff

Mar 21, 2009
Hi There
I am in a similar situation. We as a family entered Canada in April 2009 and then left after one month because my children were in the university, school and my wife was following a course in the university out of Canada. But we could not return to fulfil 720 residency requirements anyway. Our PR card expires in April 2014. But one of my children still maintain her PR card and live as a PR to fulfil 720 and child is still in Canada. I am afraid how can I give a valid reason for not entering to fulfil 720 days now. I am planning to sort out this and willing to go there and live permanently now. Any advice on this please.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jiff said:
Hi There
I am in a similar situation. We as a family entered Canada in April 2009 and then left after one month because my children were in the university, school and my wife was following a course in the university out of Canada. But we could not return to fulfil 720 residency requirements anyway. Our PR card expires in April 2014. But one of my children still maintain her PR card and live as a PR to fulfil 720 and child is still in Canada. I am afraid how can I give a valid reason for not entering to fulfil 720 days now. I am planning to sort out this and willing to go there and live permanently now. Any advice on this please.
It is 730 days, not 720. If you enter Canada now and they do not report you for not meeting the residency requirements, either because they don't realize it or the immigration officer doesn't care much, you would be able to stay in Canada for 2 years straight and thereby put your PR status in good standing. You would let your PR card expire and only apply to renew it when you have gained more than 2 years in Canada. When you apply to renew, immigration only looks at the past 5 years so they see you have 2+ years in the past 5 and they must renew.

jiff

Mar 21, 2009
Hi Leon
Thank you for the reply. Is there any authority for immigration to stop me entering Canada at the airport because I do not fulfil 730 and ask me to return at the airport itself? Any valid reasons among my reasons (one child is still Canada, I came out of Canada due to schooling of other children and uni course of spouse etc ) for getting the enquiry from Immigration to revoke my PR Card and PR? The next point is immigration check the passport or they only see my PR Card at the airport or both?
Thank in advance
Jiff