+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal

KiwiNcan

Sep 21, 2012
Hello, I have let my PR card expire thinking I didn't need to renew as not leaving Canada. However now I have applied for a job that would take me outside of Canada. As it takes abut 3 months I am wondering if it is possible to get back into Canada if my PR card has not got back to me in time. Also do I send my old expired PR card with my renewal application?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since your PR card is already expired, you should send it in with your application. Make a copy of it first though and make a copy of your application. If you must travel, if you are visa exempt, you can return on your passport without mentioning to the airline that you are a PR and when you arrive at Canada immigration, you show them the copy of the expired card and your application and explain to them that you are waiting for your card. If you are not visa exempt, you would need a PR travel document to return and in some countries that takes weeks to get so you would be stuck, that is unless you can get a US visa, fly to the US and enter Canada on the land border.

KiwiNcan

Sep 21, 2012
Thanks, I am a New Zealander so don't need a visa. What about if I were to travel by car to the states and return this way? the same thing?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you drive, it is even less problematic. Immigration may complain about you not having renewed your PR card but since you are visa exempt, have a copy of your expired card and a copy of the application you sent to renew it, they should let you in again.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
This is covered in ENF 4 "Port of Entry Examinations"

11.1. Rights of permanent residents

A27(1) provides that a permanent resident has the right to enter and remain in Canada subject to
the provisions of the Act.

A19(2) requires an officer to allow a permanent resident to enter Canada if satisfied following an
examination on their entry that they have that status.

Permanent residents who are under enforcement proceedings keep their permanent resident
status and retain the right to enter Canada until a final determination of their loss of status has
been made.

11.2. Verifying permanent resident status

The permanent resident card is the only valid proof of permanent resident status in Canada.

The following documents are satisfactory indicators of permanent residence:

• the original Record of Landing:
• a certified true copy of a Record of Landing document issued by CIC National Headquarters;
• a letter issued by CIC National Headquarters verifying permanent residence;
• a passport duly stamped showing the date on which permanent residence was granted, if the
person was granted permanent resident status before 1973; and
• a Confirmation of Permanent Residence document [IMM 5292B].

11.3. Establishing permanent resident status without documents

BSOs at ports of entry have the discretion to authorize the entry of permanent residents, even in
the absence of documentation. If documentary evidence is not available, the BSO at Immigration
Secondary must establish the person’s permanent resident status through questioning and
checking the person’s status in FOSS. The status of persons who became permanent residents
before 1973 has to be verified by contacting the Query Response Centre at National
Headquarters at: QRC@cic.gc.ca.

Once a BSO is satisfied that a person is a permanent resident, the examination should be
concluded and the person should be allowed to enter Canada without delay.
As Leon explained, as long as you have documentation to support your contention you are a PR, you will be fine. Once the BSO knows you are a PR, you have a right as a matter of law to enter Canada (Canadian Citizens have the right of entry as a Charter provided right.)

Good luck!