+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal without completing 2 years in last 5 years

Mashkeen

Star Member
Apr 1, 2015
Hello,

I am in a real big situation.. My Husband and mother in law got their PR in 2015 and expired in 2020. They were not able to complete 2 years in this time but in year 2020, there were able to get an entry through PRTD. It's been over an year now and I was planning to get their PR cards renew. But it says to complete 2 years in last 5 years. So for this purposes will the last 5 years be counted from the date we apply? And if the time they lived in initial years of their PR does not fit in that 5 years will that not be counted? And do they have to live for more months to cover 2 years in last 5 years? It is super confusing for us right now as they have completed 730 days in Canada but if we count from today till last 5 years then it's lesser days.
My husband's passport has also expired and they do not renew without PR card here. We would nee to visit India for a few weeks in this year if things get better wrt to COVID. But I am really stressing out about what should I do?

Please can anyone guide?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I am in a real big situation.. My Husband and mother in law got their PR in 2015 and expired in 2020. They were not able to complete 2 years in this time but in year 2020, there were able to get an entry through PRTD. It's been over an year now and I was planning to get their PR cards renew. But it says to complete 2 years in last 5 years. So for this purposes will the last 5 years be counted from the date we apply? And if the time they lived in initial years of their PR does not fit in that 5 years will that not be counted? And do they have to live for more months to cover 2 years in last 5 years? It is super confusing for us right now as they have completed 730 days in Canada but if we count from today till last 5 years then it's lesser days.
My husband's passport has also expired and they do not renew without PR card here. We would nee to visit India for a few weeks in this year if things get better wrt to COVID. But I am really stressing out about what should I do?

Please can anyone guide?

Thanks
Yes, the five years are counted backwards from the day you apply. So you must have 2 years of residency in Canada within the last five years from the day you apply. Correct, this means the time they lived in Canada initiallly will not count since it falls outside of the 5 year period. They absolutely should not submit the PR renewal applications until they have enough residency days to meet the 2 out of the last 5 year obligation.

Mashkeen

Star Member
Apr 1, 2015
Yes, the five years are counted backwards from the day you apply. So you must have 2 years of residency in Canada within the last five years from the day you apply. Correct, this means the time they lived in Canada initiallly will not count since it falls outside of the 5 year period. They absolutely should not submit the PR renewal applications until they have enough residency days to meet the 2 out of the last 5 year obligation.
Is there a time limit to renew the PR cards after their expiry?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Neuro

Jul 17, 2021
Hello,

Please can anyone guide?

Thanks
But when their prtd was approved in 2020 and they entered canada, why didnt they apply for pr cards? they could get them for next 5 years.

Neuro

Jul 17, 2021
Hello,

Please can anyone guide?

Thanks
https://chat.whatsapp.com/CKEZXrSQTHR3ysJBHExOqU

Mashkeen

Star Member
Apr 1, 2015
But when their prtd was approved in 2020 and they entered canada, why didnt they apply for pr cards? they could get them for next 5 years.
Because when we apply for PR card renewal then it asks for number of days you are out of canada. And also I called IRCC about the same and a representative said that they don’t need to apply for PR card if they are not traveling outside of Canada

Eusufzai

Oct 30, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
Doc's Request.
12-12-2013
Nomination.....
24-07-2015
AOR Received.
02-12-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
13-01-2016
Med's Request
13-01-2016
Med's Done....
06-02-2016
Interview........
Waived
I have a question for you. When your husband and mother-in-law entered in Canada, without fulfilling 2 years residency requirement, were not they reported? Which city in Canada they first landed in? I mean which was their port of entry? Anyway, if they dont need PR to renew then you wait and one year later you can apply.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did it say RC-1 on the PRTD? Even if you can get a PR card they aren’t compliant with their RO so should not leave Canada until they have 2 out of the past 5 years in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey guys,
I am extremely worried about something. I forgot to mention my sibling in my application and it got approved. I did not know this was considered misrepresentation. Now that I know I want to contact ircc to declare everything before they found out but i don’t know if it will have a negative effect on me. Also my sibling is planning to come to canada very soon. Please help what should I do
This thread has nothing to do with your question. Don't post your question repeatedly or you'll be reported to the moderators. Post it once and wait for an answer.