+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal - Urgent Application Processing time??

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My husband applied for ugent processing on March 2nd and got his PR in the mail yesterday March 22nd
And he also applied for the PRTD while in Canada? Did he have reasons other than travel for urgent business or pleasure, meaning he chose the `Other' option in the application?

krish2015

Jul 6, 2015
Yes I’m in Canada and applied for the prtd. I got the request to send my passport to nearest vac yesterday. If the request is urgent ircc will advise you to submit your app at least 2 weeks before you travel.
how long did it take for you to get the passport request from date of submission?

Eve_2023

Mar 16, 2023
Still baffled that the `reason' for the urgent request was accepted (apparently).

Not judging, just surprised. :)
Well I applied for the pr card and it did not come in time. I had no other choice. I paid over 5k for my vacation. I was going even if I never came back to Canada! Lol

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well I applied for the pr card and it did not come in time. I had no other choice. I paid over 5k for my vacation. I was going even if I never came back to Canada! Lol
Oh, I misread one of your earlier posts where you mentioned needing to get back to Canada `for work'. Since your going on VACATION...and then need to get back for work, makes your story even better! LOL!

FWIW, you could have come back by flying to the U.S. and driving across a land PoE in a private vehicle (great way to end a vacation); no requirement to have a valid PR Card for that!

Please let us know when you have successfully received and utilized your PRTD. Many people here would be most interested in knowing that things may have changed.

Eve_2023

Mar 16, 2023
Oh, I misread one of your earlier posts where you mentioned needing to get back to Canada `for work'. Since your going on VACATION...and then need to get back for work, makes your story even better! LOL!

FWIW, you could have come back by flying to the U.S. and driving across a land PoE in a private vehicle (great way to end a vacation); no requirement to have a valid PR Card for that!

Please let us know when you have successfully received and utilized your PRTD. Many people here would be most interested in knowing that things may have changed.
I dont have a US visa to fly into the states. I will keep you all posted.

krish2015

Jul 6, 2015
The status of the PRTD says "Incomplete applciation" but doesnt say why or what is missing... The "View" button is also grayed out... any idea guys?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The status of the PRTD says "Incomplete applciation" but doesnt say why or what is missing... The "View" button is also grayed out... any idea guys?
It' shard to say, but I suspect it's one of the following:

1. Yet another glitch in the online system (many members here reporting similar issues with PR Card renewal, for example). The issue seems to resolve itself eventually, so keep checking.

2. Could be because IRCC has not revised the requirement for a PRTD to only be available if applying outside of Canada:
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10

You can only apply for a PRTD from outside Canada.

The instructions for IMM5444 (paper application) show this:

Please choose the option that describes your current situation in order to be directed to the relevant application form to complete.

Choose the option that describes your current situation:

It's not clear whether or not IRCC really has changed things, now allowing a PRTD request from within Canada, or if call centre agents have just been saying that it is now possible. Hopefully, anyone that is successful will post back to share their good news. It would be great if it IS now possible!