+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal - Urgent Application Processing time??

krish2015

Jul 6, 2015
Hello to all... I had put in a regular PR card renewal application on the 1st of Feb 2023 and now an "Urgent" application on the 27th Feb (submitted proof of urgency and tickets). I need to leave for India around the end of March and returning end of April. Anybody with recent experience on the the "Urgent" PR Card renewal processing timelines? Will it be more than 20 days?

Also, is it allowed per process to apply for PRTD while in Canada? Say, I apply roughly 10 days prior to travel ... just to minimize the delay while I am in India.. bcos i cannot change the return date.. :(

Eve_2023

Mar 16, 2023
Hello to all... I had put in a regular PR card renewal application on the 1st of Feb 2023 and now an "Urgent" application on the 27th Feb (submitted proof of urgency and tickets). I need to leave for India around the end of March and returning end of April. Anybody with recent experience on the the "Urgent" PR Card renewal processing timelines? Will it be more than 20 days?

Also, is it allowed per process to apply for PRTD while in Canada? Say, I apply roughly 10 days prior to travel ... just to minimize the delay while I am in India.. bcos i cannot change the return date.. :(
I applied for urgent processing on feb 16. I need the card for March 27. i dont think i will get the card in time so I applied for PRTD yesterday.

Reactions: krish2015

rania.aiss

Star Member
Mar 1, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Paris
App. Filed.......
24-01-2017
Doc's Request.
01-03-2017
AOR Received.
11-02-2017
File Transfer...
20-02-2017
Med's Done....
21-02-2017 (Passed)

Hi, i m in the same boat as you. Roughly same time line as well. I called IRCC last Wednesday n was told alication was approved and they are producing the card.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yes i did. you can apply for the prtd while in canada.im only away for 8 days so i need it urgently processed.
Unless things have changed recently, you cannot apply for a PRTD from inside Canada, unless you are stating that you are NOT in Canada when using the online Portal, to `trick' the system...which is really risky, IMHO.

Eve_2023

Mar 16, 2023
Unless things have changed recently, you cannot apply for a PRTD from inside Canada, unless you are stating that you are NOT in Canada when using the online Portal, to `trick' the system...which is really risky, IMHO.
Yes I’m in Canada and applied for the prtd. I got the request to send my passport to nearest vac yesterday. If the request is urgent ircc will advise you to submit your app at least 2 weeks before you travel.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes I’m in Canada and applied for the prtd. I got the request to send my passport to nearest vac yesterday. If the request is urgent ircc will advise you to submit your app at least 2 weeks before you travel.
But, again...it was never possible to apply for a PRTD from inside Canada.

Did you confirm that you were applying from Canada in your application? Does IRCC know that you were NOT outside Canada when you applied?

Sorry to ask so many questions but...if it IS now possible to get a PRTD from within Canada...life will be much easier for those with an expired (or expiring) PR Card that are in Canada.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10
You can only apply for a PRTD from outside Canada.

Date modified: 2022-07-26

Last edited:
Reactions: takk333

Eve_2023

Mar 16, 2023
But, again...it was never possible to apply for a PRTD from inside Canada.

Did you confirm that you were applying from Canada in your application? Does IRCC know that you were NOT outside Canada when you applied?

Sorry to ask so many questions but...if it IS now possible to get a PRTD from within Canada...life will be much easier for those with an expired (or expiring) PR Card that are in Canada.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10
You can only apply for a PRTD from outside Canada.

Date modified: 2022-07-26
Yes, when you sign the declaration. you have to state whether you are in canada or not. You can not get the PRTD in Canada. You apply for it and they will send you an email requesting your passport. Once you get to your destination you have to submit your passport to the nearest visa application centre.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, when you sign the declaration. you have to state whether you are in canada or not. You can not get the PRTD in Canada. You apply for it and they will send you an email requesting your passport. Once you get to your destination you have to submit your passport to the nearest visa application centre.
So, did you have to declare that you were NOT in Canada when completing the application (from Canada)? Or are you saying that you can apply from Canada, but that the PRTD will not be issued until you are abroad...but then have to send your valid passport to a VAC and hope it doesn't get lost?! LOL!

I wonder if this is only for urgent processing requests? I can't imagine this working for casual, personal travel.

Thanks for sharing the information.

Reactions: takk333

Eve_2023

Mar 16, 2023
So, did you have to declare that you were NOT in Canada when completing the application (from Canada)? Or are you saying that you can apply from Canada, but that the PRTD will not be issued until you are abroad...but then have to send your valid passport to a VAC and hope it doesn't get lost?! LOL!

I wonder if this is only for urgent processing requests? I can't imagine this working for casual, personal travel.

Thanks for sharing the information.
I declared that I was in Canada. They need your passport to stamp it with the PRTD. so you have to go to a VAC to give them your passport so they can stamp it. I have never heard of a passport getting loss. I applied for urgent processing because i already bought my plane ticket and i have to be back to work on a certain date. I'm guessing you have never applied for a PRTD before and you're unsure of how the process works?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I declared that I was in Canada. They need your passport to stamp it with the PRTD. so you have to go to a VAC to give them your passport so they can stamp it. I have never heard of a passport getting loss. I applied for urgent processing because i already bought my plane ticket and i have to be back to work on a certain date. I'm guessing you have never applied for a PRTD before and you're unsure of how the process works?
You are correct that I have not ever applied for a PRTD, because I've never needed one.

I'm surprised that IRCC allowed for `urgent processing', just because you had already purchased your airline ticket and have to return to work on a certain date.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5529-applying-permanent-resident-travel-document.html

Urgent processing for your PRTD application

• You must show that you need your PRTD within the next three months for one of these reasons:
    • your own serious illness;
    • the serious illness or death of a family member;
    • lost/stolen Permanent Resident card while on temporary travel outside of Canada
    • you are in a crisis, emergency, or a vulnerable situation;
    • other
  • You must include all the following documents to show you need urgent processing:
    • a letter explaining the reason for the urgency; and
    • proof of urgency (i.e. a doctor's note, death certificate, etc.)
---

I guess your reason qualifies under `other'.:)

rania.aiss

Star Member
Mar 1, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Paris
App. Filed.......
24-01-2017
Doc's Request.
01-03-2017
AOR Received.
11-02-2017
File Transfer...
20-02-2017
Med's Done....
21-02-2017 (Passed)

My husband applied for ugent processing on March 2nd and got his PR in the mail yesterday March 22nd