+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal status: "Your Permanent Resident card was sent by mail", but my home address is abroad?

barabashka

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Dear All
Perhaps someone knows the answer. I have submitted my PR card renewal application in August while being in Canada, and have indicated in the application the address where I resided at the time of the application submission.
I then moved back abroad a few weeks later, and updated my address through webform, and my home/mailing address has been updated to my current address abroad in the system (I have checked...).
I have then checked my application status today and it says "Complete" and when I click on it it says "Your Permanent Resident card was sent by mail on...".
Since the current address in the system is my address abroad - does it mean they sent it to my foreign address? I thought they do not do this and expected to be asked to pick up the card in person in the local office...
Is it possible they sent it to the address where I resided at the time of the submission of the application? I do not live there anymore...:(
Is there a way to know to what address the PR card has been sent?

p.s. I meet PR residents obligations as I accompany my Canadian Citizen spouse abroad

Many thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear All
Perhaps someone knows the answer. I have submitted my PR card renewal application in August while being in Canada, and have indicated in the application the address where I resided at the time of the application submission.
I then moved back abroad a few weeks later, and updated my address through webform, and my home/mailing address has been updated to my current address abroad in the system (I have checked...).
I have then checked my application status today and it says "Complete" and when I click on it it says "Your Permanent Resident card was sent by mail on...".
Since the current address in the system is my address abroad - does it mean they sent it to my foreign address? I thought they do not do this and expected to be asked to pick up the card in person in the local office...
Is it possible they sent it to the address where I resided at the time of the submission of the application? I do not live there anymore...:(
Is there a way to know to what address the PR card has been sent?

p.s. I meet PR residents obligations as I accompany my Canadian Citizen spouse abroad

Many thanks!
IRCC will not send a PR card outside of Canada. It would have been sent to a Canadian address. If the card was already sent, it would have sent your PR card to the Canadian address you used when you applied. It's 100% safe to assume IRCC has not sent it to your address outside of Canada.

barabashka

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
IRCC will not send a PR card outside of Canada. It would have been sent to a Canadian address. If the card was already sent, it would have sent your PR card to the Canadian address you used when you applied. It's 100% safe to assume IRCC has not sent it to your address outside of Canada.
Thanks scylla!
I guess I have to ask my friends to chase up the card with people who currently live at that address...
I am puzzled why I was not asked to come to pick it up in person...that is what I have expected...
Cheers
barabashka

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks scylla!
I guess I have to ask my friends to chase up the card with people who currently live at that address...
I am puzzled why I was not asked to come to pick it up in person...that is what I have expected...
Cheers
barabashka
Yeah - I can't answer that. Sounds like they messed up. But they definitely won't send to a foreign address.

barabashka

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Yeah - I can't answer that. Sounds like they messed up. But they definitely won't send to a foreign address.
Thanks!
Based on ECAS it was sent on Dec 29th...
From PR card processing centre, to Vancouver, BC - approximately when to expect the card to arrive?
Cheers
barabashka

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks!
Based on ECAS it was sent on Dec 29th...
From PR card processing centre, to Vancouver, BC - approximately when to expect the card to arrive?
Cheers
barabashka
Generally 2-3 weeks but maybe slower due to the holidays.

barabashka

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
The cold weather might also slow things.
Thanks, steaky and scylla.

I do not want to start the "chasing up" process too early, but also probably best not to postpone it too much as new tenants might just throw it away...
Perhaps contacting the landlord would be the best thing to do...
I made such an effort to avoid this situation, and yet finding myself not knowing where the card is.

Do you think submitting a webform asking where the card was sent to is something worth pursuing? I cannot call IRCC I believe as I am abroad at the moment.

Cheers
barabashka

barabashka

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Generally 2-3 weeks but maybe slower due to the holidays.
Dear All
It has been 3 weeks now since the card was mailed, and it is not yet at my old address (Vancouver, BC).
Are there known current delays with Canada Post letter mails to BC?
I am starting to worry - hopefully needlessly...
Thanks!
barabashka