+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal- proof of citizenship for spouse

bluemarlin

Nov 14, 2014
Hi all,

My husband's PR card is expiring in September 2021 and we were living abroad for the last 5 years up until December, so we need to prove that he has been living with me in order to renew the card.

I understand that the IRCC requires us to send:

-all passports or other travel documents that the person you are accompanying used in the five (5) years before the application;
-documents showing the citizenship of the person you are accompanying, including the date the person became a Canadian citizen;
-proof of the residential addresses of the person you are accompanying for the five (5) years before the application;
-marriage licence or proof of common-law partnership (if you are accompanying a spouse or common-law partner);

Does this mean they need both my Canadian passport and my birth certificate (I was born in Canada)? And do they really need the originals of all these documents (whereas my husband the main applicant only needs to send a photocopy of his passport)?? It does not specify whether originals or copies are required here, but for other documents it does specify.

If I send a pre-addressed tracked envelope for the return of the documents do you think they will use it? I am very nervous about sending my passport, birth certificate AND marriage certificate all in the mail. If they are lost it will be a complete nightmare... they destroyed our marriage certificate during the original PR application and lost my husband's first PR card in the regular post (making us pay to get a new one) so our experience with the IRCC and documents has not been too great so far...

I cannot get through to IRCC on the phone to ask and do not want to wait weeks for a (potential) response via the web form, so any thoughts you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

J.D.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

My husband's PR card is expiring in September 2021 and we were living abroad for the last 5 years up until December, so we need to prove that he has been living with me in order to renew the card.

-all passports or other travel documents that the person you are accompanying used in the five (5) years before the application;
-documents showing the citizenship of the person you are accompanying, including the date the person became a Canadian citizen;
-proof of the residential addresses of the person you are accompanying for the five (5) years before the application;
-marriage licence or proof of common-law partnership (if you are accompanying a spouse or common-law partner);

Does this mean they need both my Canadian passport and my birth certificate (I was born in Canada)? And do they really need the originals of all these documents (whereas my husband the main applicant only needs to send a photocopy of his passport)?? It does not specify whether originals or copies are required here, but for other documents it does specify.

If I send a pre-addressed tracked envelope for the return of the documents do you think they will use it? I am very nervous about sending my passport, birth certificate AND marriage certificate all in the mail. If they are lost it will be a complete nightmare... they destroyed our marriage certificate during the original PR application and lost my husband's first PR card in the regular post (making us pay to get a new one) so our experience with the IRCC and documents has not been too great so far...

I cannot get through to IRCC on the phone to ask and do not want to wait weeks for a (potential) response via the web form, so any thoughts you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

J.D.
Looking at your previous posts did you and your spouse live in Canada after he received his PR? How long did you spend in Canada after PR before relocating? Did he live in Canada before he got PR? Did you relocate because of you employment?

bluemarlin

Nov 14, 2014
Hi canuck78,

We have never lived in Canada together until now. We were living in London (UK) when my husband got PR, he went to Toronto just to activate his PR, and we have only visited Canada since. We had planned to move to Canada but decided to stay in the UK for a few years due to my work. He is in compliance with the RO due to living with me, so I am not worried about that part, just simply trying to understand why they seem to need all of my original documents. I guess its for further proof that I really have been living abroad?

bluemarlin

Nov 14, 2014
Hi all,

Thank you!

J.D.

I just wanted to follow up in case anyone else is in the same situation in the future. I managed to speak to the IRCC on the help line now and they have said that no original documents are required in this situation- photocopies can be sent.

Reactions: chs