+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal & New - 2022 Processing Timeline

somey11

Nov 23, 2009
Lahore
NOC Code......
Hi I got a PR card back in 2018 in Manitoba on pmp basis and left Canada right away.(only lived 2 month) Now I want to renew my PR, Is it possible I come to Canada and apply PR than go back after apply, once I get PR by post someone send me?
I didn’t file my taxes.
Any idea how much time does it take to get PR Renewal?
Should I hire consultant?
Please guide me. Thanks

jk2ca10

Oct 5, 2019
Hi I got a PR card back in 2018 in Manitoba on pmp basis and left Canada right away.(only lived 2 month) Now I want to renew my PR, Is it possible I come to Canada and apply PR than go back after apply, once I get PR by post someone send me?
I didn’t file my taxes.
Please guide me. Thanks
You should know that in order to maintain your residency, you have to live 3 years out of 5 years in Canada. How will you prove that? Better contact an immigration lawyer.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I didn’t file my taxes.
Please guide me. Thanks
You are currently in breach of the PR Residency Obligation, clearly having been outside Canada more than 1095 days since the day you landed. So you do not meet the eligibility requirements to be issued a new PR card (sometimes referred to as a renewed PR card) unless there are H&C reasons sufficient to give you relief from the breach and allow you to retain PR status.

Given the length of your absence from Canada there is a substantial risk you will be examined at the Port-of-Entry upon your arrival here, resulting in an Inadmissibility Report being prepared, and in turn issued a Removal Order, again unless you get relief for H&C reasons. That would be a decision terminating your PR status but there is a right of appeal, so it is not immediately enforceable. That means you could still enter Canada and make an appeal.

Reminder: there is no renewal of PR status. Even if you got a new PR card, you still need to comply with the PR Residency Obligation. A new PR card does not restart the Residency Obligation clock.

@jk2ca10 has the gist of it, but not the right numbers; it is a 2/5 obligation not 3/5. In particular, a PR needs to spend at least 730 days in Canada during the first five years after landing, and then, after the fifth year anniversary of landing, always spend at least 730 days within five years, any and every five year period. Thus, for example, if you did get a PR card but left Canada, unless you stay for two years the next time you return to Canada you would still face the risk border officials would prepare an Inadmissibility Report and issue a Removal Order. Again, a new PR card does NOT restart the clock.

Whether an authorized representative, either a consultant or lawyer, could make the difference in how this goes, is difficult to forecast. Probably depends a lot on whether you have a strong H&C case. (Disclaimer: I have a strong bias against consultants, and tend to think one is more likely to get more for their money from a reputable immigration lawyer . . . not often anyone gets all that they pay for, dealing with lawyers, but many times they're the best bet . . . but they cannot change the facts or the law.)

How things go could also depend a lot on just when in 2018 you landed, and how soon you come to Canada. Basically the less you have breached the RO, the better your chances you are allowed into Canada without being issued a Removal Order. So the sooner you get here, the better your chances. But even if you are not issued a Removal Order at the PoE, you still do not meet the eligibility requirements for a PR card and would be relying on H&C relief. Even if you get H&C relief, if you do not plan to stay in Canada, to settle and live here more or less permanently, that's not likely to save your PR status going forward.

Reactions: somey11 and jk2ca10

BienCanada

Star Member
Jan 5, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vancouver
AOR Received.
23-03-2023
It looks like they cleared lot of applications last week regardless of their filing dates.
Which is the latest online application submission date for renewal that you may have noticed getting approved?

hazeT

Jul 9, 2014
Have u tried sending a webform urgent processing request with some proof I found that helped us get the process to go faster.
I sent a web form for some inquiry. I sent the paper form marking urgent and provided all supporting documents such as tickets for travel. mt fathers medical report. my pay stubs to prove I have been working here for 7 years. mt paper application was delivered today at case processing center. hoping I will receive email soon.

thank you I will surely send a web form with supporting documents soon as well

Saima2022

Sep 20, 2022
My uncle passed away today can i add his death note for urgent process? Or it must b family member like brother sister or fathers death? Or i can use my uncle death note?

BienCanada

Star Member
Jan 5, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vancouver
AOR Received.
23-03-2023
Hello everyone,

PR Card Renewal(online)

My timeline,

Application sent online- sept 23 2022
Gc key created- Nov 2nd 2022
Linked to GC key- Nov 17th 2022
Application approval and card dispatched- Nov 17th 2022
PR Card received in mail- Nov 30th 2022.

All the best everyone.
Congrats!! When you linked the application you directly saw that it was approved? And on Nov 02 you could not find the application and link it?
Did you receive any email (ghost update) on Nov 17th that prompted you to link on that day?
Looking forward to your reply.

Ashley472627

Nov 13, 2022
HI everyone. Just wanted to share my timeline so it can be helpful to others

Outland applicant - first pr card

Landed Yyz - September 14th
Linked application - September 27th ( showed date submitted as September 27th)
First ghost update - November 25th
Second update- Approved and mailed -November 30th
Card received - December 5th (Toronto)

Reactions: pivot2022 and Ca-Ke

Ca-Ke

Star Member
Feb 9, 2016
HI everyone. Just wanted to share my timeline so it can be helpful to others

Outland applicant - first pr card

Landed Yyz - September 14th
Linked application - September 27th ( showed date submitted as September 27th)
First ghost update - November 25th
Second update- Approved and mailed -November 30th
Card received - December 5th (Toronto)
Thanks for sharing we have a similar timeline ours was mailed Nov 30. Just waiting for the card.

discoatlanta

May 28, 2021
Hello everyone , just sharing my timeline, hopefully it can bring insight to those still waiting.

Inland applicant: first pr card

Pr approved on November 26th
Ecorp received on November 28th
Confirmation of pr on November 30th
Pr card mailed on december 01
Pr card received december 05th

It all happen very fast, altough status on pr portal still says photo in review, for those who have the same update

May everyone on this chat receive their card this week.

sublime765

Oct 25, 2022
Hi Sublime - i am filling out my paper application too but i cannot see the barcodes when i click on validate...have you encountered this issue? and can you please help? thanks. I am using a PC and latest adobe reader
Hi,
I just checked my application that I sent to CIC and noticed there were no barcodes on it. I believe the validate button only checks if you have left any fields blank on the application. If there are no errors shown during the validate stage, then an option to print the document shows up on the top, ensure that you print the document by which it becomes a new , non-editable document. Hope this helps if its not too late !