+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal & New - 2022 Processing Timeline

BogusApplicant

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
@dpenabill, i'm currently residing in the USA and meet RO until June 2025 (move to US in July 2022 after being in Canada continuously since 2018 Jan as PR). I have a Citizenship application in progress as well and expect it to complete in a few months.

My PR card is expiring in Feb 2023, and I want to renew it to be able to visit Canada for my citizenship process.
Would I be able to apply for PR renewal, after travelling temporarily to Canada, to apply? The renewal application does ask for a Canadian residence address - which I can use a hotel address and have it mailed to a friend in Canada. I've also updated CIC my US address as part of the Citizenship application process.
Thanks in advance.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
@dpenabill, i'm currently residing in the USA and meet RO until June 2025 (move to US in July 2022 after being in Canada continuously since 2018 Jan as PR). I have a Citizenship application in progress as well and expect it to complete in a few months.

My PR card is expiring in Feb 2023, and I want to renew it to be able to visit Canada for my citizenship process.
Would I be able to apply for PR renewal, after travelling temporarily to Canada, to apply? The renewal application does ask for a Canadian residence address - which I can use a hotel address and have it mailed to a friend in Canada. I've also updated CIC my US address as part of the Citizenship application process.
Thanks in advance.
I am NO expert. But even more importantly, I am NOT qualified or competent to offer personal advice, and this is as much about practical reasons as it is formalities.

How this will go I cannot say. There are uncertain contingencies. The particular details in your situation, including history as much as currently, can have a lot of influence.

It appears you largely know the score, so you should be able to figure out what that means and how it relates to your situation, sufficient to exercise your own judgment and make personal decisions, balancing your own needs, preferences, priorities, and risk-assessment.

It is obvious, for example, that IRCC's changes to the forms this year (among other indicators) signals an increase in the importance of distinguishing between PRs getting a PR card versus a PR Travel Document based on whether the PR is present in Canada or is located outside Canada. Temporarily being located in Canada means a PR can truthfully check the box, in the application, that says "I am in Canada," enabling them to proceed with making the PR card application. How it then goes, however, considering what IRCC can and will discern from address and work history, and information about travel history obtained through CBSA, remains to be seen, given how recent the changes have been, too recent to see how this might effect PRs taking the approach you are contemplating.

Obviously, if you have a citizenship application pending, officials handling the respective applications will likely compare and contrast the two applications, including respective address and work history. While historically it was clear that relocating abroad after applying for citizenship often triggered elevated scrutiny, and sometimes an outright more skeptical screening of the applicant, in recent years it has become less than clear what impact living outside Canada after applying might have; for many, no problem, but the jury is still out on whether being abroad after applying still increases certain risks like it has in the past.

Some further observations re residential address:

IRCC does not ask PRs for addresses they can "use." They ask, for example, for the PR's "current residential address in Canada." If you have established actual residence in a hotel, and can honestly declare that is where you are residing in Canada (not just a temporary place of abode, a location where you are temporarily staying or boarding), that's not about it being an address you can "use" but is about it truthfully being your residential address. And of course section 8 in the application requires the PR to certify that this information is "correct, complete and accurate," and acknowledge they understand the serious consequences for any false statement or concealment of a material fact. Sure, many, a great many PRs, play around in declaring addresses, and for many this does not lead to problems. There are risks in doing this however.

The current PR card application form does not appear to require the PR to verify they will notify IRCC if there is a change in the information provided, so for example if the PR changes residential address after applying and does not notify IRCC of the change, this might be interpreted to mean IRCC could not determine there is a misrepresentation by omission in failing to notify IRCC of a change in address. This is different from the citizenship application form, which does require the applicant to verify they will notify IRCC of changes, so on its face requires an applicant to notify IRCC if their residential address changes after making the citizenship application. Here too it appears many more or less conceal or hide a change in address from IRCC without that causing a problem, but here too this entails some risks, even if only as to the impact on the applicant's credibility.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
How long does it usually take for the PR card to reach us from NS? I am in SK.

Thanks.

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
How long does it take to be able to look up a PR card renewal application on ECAS that was submitted using the portal? Also, after submitting using the portal is there supposed to be an email confirmation?

AspiringCanadian29

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
Hi,

I applied for renewal of my PR card on 16 Oct through the PR card portal (online) and since then there's been no update, the status shows Submitted. I can't even find my application to link with GCKey and neither I'm able to see any status. Any tips for me, what should I do?

I have to travel outside Canada on Jan 15. Please help!

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Hi,

I applied for renewal of my PR card on 16 Oct through the PR card portal (online) and since then there's been no update, the status shows Submitted. I can't even find my application to link with GCKey and neither I'm able to see any status. Any tips for me, what should I do?

You probably wont be able to link applications till you get your AOR. You can call IRCC and let them know when you application was submitted. They may be able to give you a ballpark idea of which applications they are currently processing (like applications received month of sep., etc.). However, take that with a grain of salt as there seems to be no clear pattern as per the posts on this thread. More than likely you will have to be patient till you get AOR and hopefully you get your card soon after that.

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
You probably wont be able to link applications till you get your AOR. You can call IRCC and let them know when you application was submitted. They may be able to give you a ballpark idea of which applications they are currently processing (like applications received month of sep., etc.). However, take that with a grain of salt as there seems to be no clear pattern as per the posts on this thread. More than likely you will have to be patient till you get AOR and hopefully you get your card soon after that.

They give AOR for pr card renewals using the PR Portal?

gill367

Star Member
Feb 22, 2017
Punjab
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CHD
NOC Code......
My parents landed on 4th June 2022, We still have not received the cards. The online application shows submitted. No update.
Receive standard replies on raising web inquiries. Any suggestion? Getting to talk to an agent on the phone is next to impossible.
Is anyone else waiting since June?

BienCanada

Star Member
Jan 5, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vancouver
AOR Received.
23-03-2023
Hi,

We applied online for renewal on Oct 23 and I saw just now on cic portal that they approved it today and mailed the cards. Didn't receive any email though.

And our cards had expired. So it could be that put us above someone like yourself who applied before us.

Anyways fingers crossed, hope they arrive safely as right now we are not in a position to travel outside of Canada.

Hopefully yours is processed in a week or so! All the best!

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Hi,

Did you also try to link using your UCI + Last name route?

Last edited:

thephdguy

Oct 1, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
right now which month photo resubmission process going?
Anyone got pr card ?
Hello, today (Dec. 7th) I received a notification that my PR Card was approved (1st Card) after photo resubmission in August (details in my signature). They said they sent the card in the mail, so I'm still waiting for it.

Reactions: pivot2022