+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal - Minimum residency period question

Anvil_isopod

Jan 28, 2023
Hi all,

I landed as PR in Nov-2019.

Since then I have spent couple of months in Canada but only permanently moved to Canada in Oct-2023. Now I live here permanently and have a job in Toronto. My PR card expires in Nov-24.
Following my calculations I have about 40 days left that I can be outside the country for trips to be able to meet the 2 years out of 5 minimum residency period to maintain the PR status.

40 days is a bit tight over the next year and half. I have sales job and have to travel out of the country frequently and would also like to have a couple of vacations.

How strict is IRCC during renewal? Since technically PR status doesn't really expire, PR card does - if I exceed the 40 days I have left, can I just wait till I have been in the country for 2 years before I apply? can I have issues while entering the airport if its just few days here or there?
Do they check 5 years from the point of renewal application or do they check if I have been 2 years in each 5 years period?

Looking for your suggestions.

Thank you

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

I landed as PR in Nov-2019.

Since then I have spent couple of months in Canada but only permanently moved to Canada in Oct-2023. Now I live here permanently and have a job in Toronto. My PR card expires in Nov-24.
Following my calculations I have about 40 days left that I can be outside the country for trips to be able to meet the 2 years out of 5 minimum residency period to maintain the PR status.

40 days is a bit tight over the next year and half. I have sales job and have to travel out of the country frequently and would also like to have a couple of vacations.

How strict is IRCC during renewal? Since technically PR status doesn't really expire, PR card does - if I exceed the 40 days I have left, can I just wait till I have been in the country for 2 years before I apply? can I have issues while entering the airport if its just few days here or there?
Do they check 5 years from the point of renewal application or do they check if I have been 2 years in each 5 years period?

Looking for your suggestions.

Thank you
Did you mean to say Oct-2022? LOL!

It's impossible to say how strict IRCC is, but as long as you have 730 days OR MORE in Canada (with supporting evidence) when you apply to renew your card, you meet the requirement. Since you have not yet reached the full 5 year window since becoming a PR, future days that could be spent in Canada (especially if you show that you have settled in Canada) may help you in terms of the Residency Obligation forcast.

IRCC will assess the previous 5 year period from the day that the application is submitted. If you apply today, they go back to ~ August 18, 2018, but since you became a PR in Nov 2019, that is your `starting date' for PR Card renewal. You need to show (and/or convince IRCC) that you can meet the R.O. by Nov 2024.

Keep in mind that if you leave Canada for a 3 day trip, for example, two of those days count as a full day in Canada (departure day and return day). Does that help with your calculation for future travel?

Anvil_isopod

Jan 28, 2023
Thank you for your reply. I meant Oct-22 lol.

The thing is based on my future travels I will most likely exceed the 40 days I have left to travel outside canada to make it 720 days by Nov-24 - especially due to lot of travelling for my work, some of them week long trips.
However, it is good to know that IRCC calculates from the day you apply. So instead of Nov-24, even if my PR card expires, I will not apply for renewal until maybe jan or Feb-25, by when I would have met my 720 days requirement even If I travel frequently outside for work over coming months.

The only downside will be I probably won’t be able to travel outside canada from Nov-24 when my PR car expires till feb-25, when I would apply get my renewed PR card.

One concern I had was that I might be stopped at the airport during one of these trips if the system calculates and flags me while coming into canada as potentially not being able to meet my residency obligation, but the system doesn’t seem to be so advanced.

Thanks