+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal, Legal Name Change

amitsmeet

Sep 11, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi I am in process of renewing my wife's PR card, one issue though, when she renewed her passport in India after getting PR, CoPR, etc. to have my middle name instead of her father's name. Now she wants the new PR card to have her new legal name as it is on the new passport i.e my name as middle name. I reviewed the CIC site and it says for legal name change out of Canada need to provide new passport and an official document linking new and old name,.
My question is, what can be that second document, could it be India's marriage certificate ?
If yes, do I need to notarize it here in Canada ?
Or Do I need an Ontario Name Change certificate for her which is a bit of process (we both live in Ontario)? If yes, do I need to then change all other documents like Health Card, DL, SIN ?
Or any other document sufficing the requirement?

Request guidance from members here. Thanks.

amitsmeet

Sep 11, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Replying to help others facing similar situation : My wife did not face any issues for her PR card renewal.

Mum2Can

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
01-10-2020
Med's Done....
13-11-2020
Replying to help others facing similar situation : My wife did not face any issues for her PR card renewal.
Hi..

I'm in similar position, I have applied for my wife PR name change application after updating her name on Indian passport.
Now IRCC sent an email :

We are unable to process your application without proof of a legal change of name linking your name at landing and the new name you are requesting. Please submit a copy of all the applicable linking documents from the list below which link the name on your Record of Landing and your new name:

· Legal Change of Name Document
· Court Order, divorce decree, revocation of declaration or annulment of union
· Adoption Order
· Marriage Certificate, registration, declaration of union (PROVIDED – NO NEED TO RESUBMIT)

Is your wife PR card renewal happened without "Legal name change process in Ontario"? Can you please guide me on next step?

amitsmeet

Sep 11, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there, my wife's PR was renewed without name change. So I didnt encounter any issues. We didnt have any travel issues either as only the middle name is different (not the last name)

Himanshu28

Oct 11, 2019
Hi there, my wife's PR was renewed without a name change. So I didn't encounter any issues. We didn't have any travel issues either as only the middle name is different (not the last name)
Hi
Did ur wife travel from India to Canada with a renewed passport? Did your wife receive any difficulty at the Indian Or Canadian airport with a different name on her passport and PR card??
and What documents need to carry?

Mum2Can

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
01-10-2020
Med's Done....
13-11-2020
I had travelled in similar scenario during April-2022 (post covid time). My wife travelled with new name on Indian passport + old name on PR card (same time PR name change and Ontario legal name change applications was in process). We have kept additional documents to support:
1. Indian Marriage certificate original + Maharashtra state name change Gazette
2. Canada PR name change + Ontario legal name change application details/printout
3. Notarized copy prepared in Canada before travel to showcase both name is for my wife.

As during landing in Toronto, Immigration office asked for marriage certificate to justify. so go with whatever documents you have to proof name change.

Hi
Did ur wife travel from India to Canada with a renewed passport? Did your wife receive any difficulty at the Indian Or Canadian airport with a different name on her passport and PR card??
and What documents need to carry?