+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal - Good and Bad News

noolan

Star Member
Apr 1, 2009
I applied for my wife’s PR Card renewal on Oct 24/ 2016. she had less than 730 days of physical presence in Canada i.e 695 days (due to her own cancer, father's cancer, high risk pregnancy, birth of our daughter in Hong kong and finally compassionate care to her father who died in June 2016). I stayed for 298 days with her outside Canada as Canadian Citizen (695+298= 993 days in Total). I sent all my tickets and boarding passes.
We Did not receive any confirmation email. I checked the status on Friday, Dec the 2nd showing processing started Nov 15th. We got a letter on our previous residential address asking to pick up the card. (we moved back to our own home on 1st November). My mailing address was our own home on which we did not receive any letter. They are asking us to pick up the card in person (ANY MONDAY within 180 days from this letter) and bring all the original of what we sent plus additional documents.
- All passports for the last 5 years
- If the date of entry to Canada is not documented by entry stamp, alternative proof such as airline ticket or boarding passes will be required.
- Your original landing paper
- Your driving license or health card
- If your spouse is Canadian citizen, please provide all his passports.
- Proof that your Canadian spouse accompanied you. please have your spouse with you for your appointment as he may be interviewed.
- Proof of residence at current address (mortgage, lease/ rental agreement)
- Detailed explanation to address above if you don’t own or rent this property.
- Your driver license/ health card
- Proof of income for the last three years ( NOA from CRA or pay stubs)
- Please bring this letter
- Any additional information and/ or explanation that would substantiate your residence in Canada

Now the problem we have is we could not find her first passport (2011-2013) and the original Landing paper attached to it…... although we have all the tickets for the last 5 years for her (we did not send these with application). We only sent mine to show I was with her.
She also did not work a single day but I could bring NOA from CRA.
Any words of wisdom for us? What could we do? I am thinking to order entry and exits from CBSA that will take 30-40 days, but again that would just prove what we already have like tickets or if they have ordered it, they will have it on file.
Has Anyone gone through this kind of interview? any help will be appreciated.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
A rough shot at it . . .

noolan said:
I applied for my wife’s PR Card renewal on Oct 24/ 2016. she had less than 730 days of physical presence in Canada i.e 695 days (due to her own cancer, father's cancer, high risk pregnancy, birth of our daughter in Hong kong and finally compassionate care to her father who died in June 2016). I stayed for 298 days with her outside Canada as Canadian Citizen (695+298= 993 days in Total). I sent my all tickets and boarding passes.
We Did not receive any confirmation email. I checked the status on Friday, Dec the 2nd showing processing started Nov 15th. We got a letter on our previous residential address asking to pick up the card. (we moved back to our own home on 1st November). My mailing address was our own home on which we did not receive any letter. They are asking us to pick up the card in person (ANY MONDAY within 180 days from this letter) and bring all the original of what we sent plus additional documents.
- All passports for the last 5 years
- If the date of entry to Canada is not documented by entry stamp, alternative proof such as airline ticket or boarding passes will be required.
- Your original landing paper
- Your driving license or health card
- If your spouse is Canadian citizen, please provide all his passports.
- Proof that your Canadian spouse accompanied you. please have your spouse with you for your appointment as he may be interviewed.
- Proof of residence at current address (mortgage, lease/ rental agreement)
- Detailed explanation to address above if you don’t own or rent this property.
- Your driver license/ health card
- Proof of income for the last three years ( NOA from CRA or pay stubs)
- Please bring this letter
- Any additional information and/ or explanation that would substantiate your residence in Canada

Now the problem we have is we could not find her first passport (2011-2013) and the original Landing paper attached to it…... although we have all the tickets for the last 5 years for her (we did not send these with application). We only sent mine to show I was with her.
She also did not work a single day but I could bring NOA from CRA.
Any words of wisdom for us? What could we do? I am thinking to order entry and exits from CBSA that will take 30-40 days, but again that would just prove what we already have like tickets or if they have ordered it, they will have it on file.
Has Anyone gone through this kind of interview? any help will be appreciated.
Bring what you have, as much of what they ask for as possible. Be prepared to explain what you do not have. If possible, bring alternative documents for any that you do not have.

Passport is an issue. Unavoidable now unless you find the passport. Just be sure to be able to document where she was during those particular years. As best you can.

While this correspondence suggests more than a routine counter-interview for PR card pick-up, suggesting a more formal residency examination, it is interesting that it is not for a particularly scheduled time.

My guess (I am NO expert however) is that this is more about verification and not about particular concerns, meaning that odds are good this should go smoothly, without a problem, if you both go and if you take a reasonable amount of documentation supporting the residency information and give credible responses to questions.

Obviously, you could and to some extent will likely be asked questions which will allow IRCC to assess the credibility of the residency information, including in particular dates she was in Canada and as to time together abroad . . . thus, for example, you may be interviewed about where you were staying abroad, the nature of the accommodations, location, dates, activities, and so on, to verify that the information given in the application is complete and accurate.

Be sure that your documents include some showing where you were staying together while abroad in addition to such information for time in Canada.

Be sure to bring all travel documentation (including tickets and such) for both of you.

The absent passport could be a problem. All you can do is either find it or be prepared to explain and offer alternative documentation for that period of time in particular.

If the information submitted in the application is accurate and complete, this should not be a difficult interview, not problematic.

All that said, lurking pitfalls:

I assume she is in Canada now. Which brings up the question about current compliance with the PR RO. Obviously, not only does she need to have been in compliance with the PR RO as of the date the PR card application was made, she also needs to be in compliance today based on presence plus credit for at least 730 days within the last five years as of today (and likewise for tomorrow, and for any day next month, and so on).

If, however, per chance she is not technically in compliance today, or more importantly as of the day you go in for the interview, that could be a problem.

Hopefully she is in Canada today and there will be no question about being in compliance with the PR RO as of the day you go in for the interview.

Was she in Canada on the date the application was made?

You state:
noolan said:
I applied for my wife’s PR Card renewal on Oct 24/ 2016 . . .
Technically, of course, you could not apply for her. She had to apply for herself. But an important question is where she was at the time of making the PR card renewal application, and hopefully she was in Canada.

Overall:

Given the timeline, how quickly this has been processed, within the routine timeline range, my guess is that there is no suspicion, no problem, you both just need to go in and verify the information already submitted.

noolan

Star Member
Apr 1, 2009
Thank you so much dpenabill. Yes, we are desperately trying to find the passport and landing Paper.
we have documented each and every travel she had to and from Canada, and luckily we have ALL the tickets. I also have all of my tickets for my travels.
She came back in August this year and yes, she was here when we applied. I filled all the application and she signed it. That is why I said I applied for her. ;D
Each and every information in application is Accurate and complete, no worries about that. when we were applying , she did not meet PR RO on her own. But now she is in compliance even without my 298 days.

noolan

Star Member
Apr 1, 2009
Update:
We Picked up the card in Kitchener Office. They took some time to verify stuff. We found out that the reason for the interview was 9 days UK trip of my wife in 2014, which I missed on her application. :'( :'( :'(. and another mistake where I wrote 12th April, 2012 arrival which in fact was 18th April, 2012 ::) ::) ::) ::)
They also asked me questions about my job and travels and my wife's reason of giving birth in Hong Kong. We took everything with ourselves including her medical records from Doctors. we were more than prepared and it helped.