+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal Eligibility

Parisa_k

Jun 19, 2022
Hi, I received my PR card in 2017. My card has a validity of 5 years and 1.5 months. I was away from Canada for more than 1,095 days. My PR card will expire on 30 June 2022 and I want to apply for renewal of my PR card. When I apply on 30 June, I will have completed the required 730 days. On the form IMM5444e, it mentions: "You must provide all your absences from Canada during the five (5) years or since becoming a PR if less than five (5) years ago."

If I consider the last 5 years from 30 June 2022 the date will be: 30 June 2017. In this case, I meet the required 730 days in Canada and also was not away from Canada for more than 1,095 days. No issues in this case.

If I consider the date I become a PR, I meet the required 730 days in Canada; however, I was away from Canada for more than 1,095 days.

I would really appreciate your view on this.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi, I received my PR card in 2017. My card has a validity of 5 years and 1.5 months. I was away from Canada for more than 1,095 days. My PR card will expire on 30 June 2022 and I want to apply for renewal of my PR card. When I apply on 30 June, I will have completed the required 730 days. On the form IMM5444e, it mentions: "You must provide all your absences from Canada during the five (5) years or since becoming a PR if less than five (5) years ago."

If I consider the last 5 years from 30 June 2022 the date will be: 30 June 2017. In this case, I meet the required 730 days in Canada and also was not away from Canada for more than 1,095 days. No issues in this case.

If I consider the date I become a PR, I meet the required 730 days in Canada; however, I was away from Canada for more than 1,095 days.

I would really appreciate your view on this.
Date of PR card expiration is NOT relevant when calculating Residency Obligation compliance.

It appears the day you landed and became a PR was MORE than five years ago (looks like it was sometime in May 2017). If this is true for you, then your RO compliance will always be based on days IN Canada within the preceding five years, during which you need to be in Canada at least 730. Examples:
-- Application made June 30, 2022: RO calculation based on (and period to report travel history) is June 30, 2017 to June 30, 2022​
-- Application made today, June 20, 2022: RO calculation based on (and period to report travel history) is June 20, 2017 to June 20, 2022​

The first five year time period is no longer relevant. Since there are only 1825 (1826 counting Feb 29 leap years) days in a five year time period, it is NOT possible that you spent more than 730 days in Canada during the first five years if you were outside Canada more than 1095 days during that time period (basic arithmetic). So it appears that you were in breach of the RO the last time you arrived in Canada; since you were not Reported it does not matter that you were previously in breach.

Note: it is OK if the PR card expires as long as you are IN Canada (if abroad you would need to obtain a PR TD to fly to Canada); so there is no rush to apply for a new card unless you have international travel plans.

Reactions: Parisa_k

meeta.s09

Mar 22, 2019
Date of PR card expiration is NOT relevant when calculating Residency Obligation compliance.

It appears the day you landed and became a PR was MORE than five years ago (looks like it was sometime in May 2017). If this is true for you, then your RO compliance will always be based on days IN Canada within the preceding five years, during which you need to be in Canada at least 730. Examples:
-- Application made June 30, 2022: RO calculation based on (and period to report travel history) is June 30, 2017 to June 30, 2022​
-- Application made today, June 20, 2022: RO calculation based on (and period to report travel history) is June 20, 2017 to June 20, 2022​

The first five year time period is no longer relevant. Since there are only 1825 (1826 counting Feb 29 leap years) days in a five year time period, it is NOT possible that you spent more than 730 days in Canada during the first five years if you were outside Canada more than 1095 days during that time period (basic arithmetic). So it appears that you were in breach of the RO the last time you arrived in Canada; since you were not Reported it does not matter that you were previously in breach.

Note: it is OK if the PR card expires as long as you are IN Canada (if abroad you would need to obtain a PR TD to fly to Canada); so there is no rush to apply for a new card unless you have international travel plans.
My husband and I arrived in Canada as permanent residents on March 12, 2020. Unfortunately, we were stranded there for four months due to airport closures. Eventually, we were able to return to our normal lives. Our PR cards were issued in July 2020 and are valid until July 17, 2025. A few months ago, my husband relocated to Canada on a job transfer while we were waiting for our daughter's visa. She was born after we obtained PR status in Dubai. My daughter and I are planning to join him by mid to end July, but I'm concerned because I will have less than 730 days left until my PR card expires. Will I encounter difficulties when renewing my PR card, considering that my husband has fulfilled his residency obligation?
Thanks in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My husband and I arrived in Canada as permanent residents on March 12, 2020. Unfortunately, we were stranded there for four months due to airport closures. Eventually, we were able to return to our normal lives. Our PR cards were issued in July 2020 and are valid until July 17, 2025. A few months ago, my husband relocated to Canada on a job transfer while we were waiting for our daughter's visa. She was born after we obtained PR status in Dubai. My daughter and I are planning to join him by mid to end July, but I'm concerned because I will have less than 730 days left until my PR card expires. Will I encounter difficulties when renewing my PR card, considering that my husband has fulfilled his residency obligation?
Thanks in advance!
FYI - The residency obligation is calculated from the date of landing. The PR card expiry date is irrelevant.

You will not be able to renew your PR card until you meet the residency obligation. The fact your husband has fulfilled RO is irrelevant. You must meet RO on your own. Your status is independent of his.

Don't apply to renew your PR card until you have at least 730 residency days within the previous 5 years from the date of your application.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My daughter and I are planning to join him by mid to end July, but I'm concerned because I will have less than 730 days left until my PR card expires. Will I encounter difficulties when renewing my PR card, considering that my husband has fulfilled his residency obligation?
Just to add to previous comment: when we say wait until in compliance (for you individually), keep in mind that while you reside in and remain in Canada, the lack of a valid card/having an expired card has absolutely zero significance - you will still be legal and lots of residents go years without renewing their cards. Just wait the exact few months and then renew.

Reactions: meeta.s09

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you haven’t met your RO you should avoid travel outside of Canada if you want 100% guarantee that you won’t be reported. Realistically if your husband remains compliant with his RO he could always sponsor you again if reported so as long as you have a valid PR card you should be fine. There is likely to be a period of multiple months where you don’t have a valid PR while you are waiting to hit the 730 days plus a buffer (around a month at least is recommended) plus the time waiting for the new PR card to be issued.

It’s unclear if you applied to sponsor your child or applied for a TRV. Your husband needed to be in Canada to sponsor your child and should be compliant with their RO. Given that you aren’t compliant with your RO you should avoid sponsoring anyone.

Reactions: meeta.s09