+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal (~1 year since Citizenship Application)

ahass

Nov 6, 2013
Hi All,

I applied for citizenship in October 2017 and still haven't received a test invite. My PR card expires in March 2019. I know that I should probably apply to renew my PR card asap. However, the problem is that only last month I moved to another country to be with my spouse and I expect to live outside of Canada for 1.5-2 years. I know that you need to be in Canada to apply for renewal of PR card. So I was thinking of the following two options:
a) Go to Canada for a short visit to apply for renewal of PR card with a cover letter clearly explaining my residency situation (I have a sufficient buffer of days for the residency obligation). Provide my family's Canadian address for mailing purposes. Can I leave after applying and then return to Canada once the card is issued (assuming my current PR card is still valid at that time)?

b) I heard that you can enter Canada in a private vehicle with a provincial health card/COPR or even an expired PR card. Is this true? I have a US visa. So whenever my test/oath comes, if it's after my current PR's expiry, can I use this option to enter Canada?

I know that PRTD is an option, but that's only valid after the PR expires. I just dont want to be in a situation where there's a time period when my card has expired and my PRTD hasnt arrived...as you never know when the test/oath arrives.

Any insights/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: CitizenSoon

CitizenSoon

Sep 19, 2018
a) Go to Canada for a short visit to apply for renewal of PR card with a cover letter clearly explaining my residency situation (I have a sufficient buffer of days for the residency obligation). Provide my family's Canadian address for mailing purposes. Can I leave after applying and then return to Canada once the card is issued (assuming my current PR card is still valid at that time)?
My friend applied for a new PR card and left Canada. He returned using a PR Travel Document (PRTD) and waited to go get the new PR card but it did not come till he visited the MP office who contacted the CIC then he received his new PR card. That happened three years ago or so.

He thinks that because he was abroad, CIC did not issue nor send him his PR card till MP contacted CIC and informed CIC he is back. He is not sure what could be the reason why CIC did not send his PR card while he was aboard to his Canadian address.

I know someone who landed then left Canada, the PR card was issued for first time and sent to the Canadian address but it took six months or so. That was more than four years ago. But renewing a PR card is a different story.

Ottawan

Nov 11, 2011
Come for a short visit. Apply to renew your card. Then when the card is received get it sent to your country of residence by dhl.

LEP_582

Jul 4, 2018
Hi All,

I applied for citizenship in October 2017 and still haven't received a test invite. My PR card expires in March 2019. I know that I should probably apply to renew my PR card asap. However, the problem is that only last month I moved to another country to be with my spouse and I expect to live outside of Canada for 1.5-2 years. I know that you need to be in Canada to apply for renewal of PR card. So I was thinking of the following two options:

b) I heard that you can enter Canada in a private vehicle with a provincial health card/COPR or even an expired PR card. Is this true? I have a US visa. So whenever my test/oath comes, if it's after my current PR's expiry, can I use this option to enter Canada?

I know that PRTD is an option, but that's only valid after the PR expires. I just dont want to be in a situation where there's a time period when my card has expired and my PRTD hasnt arrived...as you never know when the test/oath arrives.

Any insights/advice would be greatly appreciated.
I had a similar situation starting this year. In January I was invited to an event in the USA for the end of April but my PR card was expired so as soon as I knew about this event I applied for a PR renewal. According to CIC timeframe I would receive my PR card from 2 weeks to 1 week prior to the trip so I decided to apply intermediately (less than 24 hours passed since I was sending my paperwork )

Well, the day of the trip came and my PR card was still in process. I had to take the plane hoping for the PR card to arrive when I was in the USA so my wife could mail me my card, but that did not happen. So I had to return by plane to the closest airport to the US/CAN border and from there a friend would pick me up in his car, we would cross the border with my expired PR card.

The officers would ask you to park your car and go to the CIC offices, they will review your documents, ask you why you don't have a valid PR card in your possession among with other questions about what where you doing outside Canada, inside Canada, where do you live, etc.

After that the officer goes back to his/her computer to probably see your departure/arrivals records and if you fulfill the PR requirements ( probably also he/she is checking if a couple things of what you are saying are true ) and then if everything is OK, they'll let you enter the country.

Hope this helps,

Micbm

Star Member
Jul 14, 2015
Hi there, I can help with the question about crossing from US, as I did it myself.

You can cross on a car (the car can be a rental) with your COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Resident) that you receive once you become PR.

I once took a flight to buffalo and drove from there to Toronto, it worked out and had no issues.

Please note that a PR card or travel document is required for all permanent residents returning to Canada on a commercial vehicle (plane, train, boat or bus).

If you return to Canada in a private vehicle, the PR card is not mandatory; you can use your immigration document (i.e., Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688)). An officer will ask you questions to verify if you meet all of the requirements before allowing you to come back to Canada.