+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card or Travel Document

Candreamer

Oct 4, 2011
Hi Friends,

Before i start, i want to thank the hosts and the admin of this forum for maintaining such a great forum, also to all the members who have been contributing to the forum actively. I want to brief my situation and have a couple of questions to the fellow members, i have landed as a PR in Vancouver in mid November 2011, at the time of landing the officer asked me about the address i am staying at, i told i am staying at a hotel, and for the PR card to be mailed to, i provided the personal address of my future department secretary.

She has not yet received my PR card, as i am not in Canada and i want to return to Canada in the month of April/May the option for me is to apply for the Travel document to enter Canada. Now, my questions are..

How long does it take for one to receive an initial PR card (the CIC web page says around 38 business days) does one usually get it in that time? How do i know staying outside Canada about the status of my PR Card application? is there any way out?
If i don't receive my card say by mid April, and given that, i take a Travel document to enter into Canada, do i need to apply again for a PR Card, and in that case will i be counted as a existing resident or new permanent resident? and how long does it take for me to get a PR Card in such a case?

Thanks in anticipation,

Good luck to all of you :)

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Candreamer said:
Hi Friends,

Before i start, i want to thank the hosts and the admin of this forum for maintaining such a great forum, also to all the members who have been contributing to the forum actively. I want to brief my situation and have a couple of questions to the fellow members, i have landed as a PR in Vancouver in mid November 2011, at the time of landing the officer asked me about the address i am staying at, i told i am staying at a hotel, and for the PR card to be mailed to, i provided the personal address of my future department secretary.

She has not yet received my PR card, as i am not in Canada and i want to return to Canada in the month of April/May the option for me is to apply for the Travel document to enter Canada. Now, my questions are..

How long does it take for one to receive an initial PR card (the CIC web page says around 38 business days) does one usually get it in that time? How do i know staying outside Canada about the status of my PR Card application? is there any way out?
If i don't receive my card say by mid April, and given that, i take a Travel document to enter into Canada, do i need to apply again for a PR Card, and in that case will i be counted as a existing resident or new permanent resident? and how long does it take for me to get a PR Card in such a case?

Thanks in anticipation,

Good luck to all of you :)
There is nothing to worry much about your PR Card. If it has not yet been received till April, get the Travel document (PRTD) as you mentioned.

Delay up to 2 months for PR Card is normal.
In your case, I guess the chances could be:

(1) might have misplaced by the recipient in Canada.
(2) PR Card still not issued because of your photo specification problem.

However, once you arrive in Canada, you should call:

Call Centre telephone number: 1-888-242‑2100

Automated telephone service (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
If you have a touch-tone telephone, you can listen to prerecorded information about CIC programs, and check the status of your application.
Call Centre agents - Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., your local time, except for statutory holidays.
You must choose one of the first five recorded options before you can speak to an agent.

The agent will be able to tell you the status of the PR Card.

If it is already issued and you did not receive it, you should apply for a new PR Card against the lost card.

Please post again for any guidance if necessary.

Good luck.

Candreamer

Oct 4, 2011
Dear Wilson,

Thank you so much for the reply. Still i have a question, if i enter Canada with a travel document and reapply for a PR card under lost category, how long does it take for me to get a card...the reason why i am asking this question is, i have 2 important conferences in Europe, where i will be presenting my work, if i dont get the card in couple of months time, then i need to rethink about my travel abroad...

Thanks in anticipation,

Cheers

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Candreamer said:
Dear Wilson,

Thank you so much for the reply. Still i have a question, if i enter Canada with a travel document and reapply for a PR card under lost category, how long does it take for me to get a card...the reason why i am asking this question is, i have 2 important conferences in Europe, where i will be presenting my work, if i dont get the card in couple of months time, then i need to rethink about my travel abroad...

Thanks in anticipation,

Cheers
You are welcome Candreamer. As per my knowledge there is nothing sure that you will get the replacement PR card within 2 months. As I mentioned already, perhaps your card might not have been issued yet because of possible photo related problem. If you are prepared to shed out some money for telephone, you may make international call to CIC Call centre and enquire the status of your PR Card. If it is only due to a photo problem, you should send the new photos by post asap. Other wise you have to re-apply.

Call to CIC Call Centre from outside Canada

It is possible to reach the CIC call centre from outside Canada via Foreign Affairs Canada:

+1 613 944 4000 (for an agent: options 1,2,1,2,1 ... then 0 to skip the message)

Candreamer

Oct 4, 2011
Thank you so much Wilson, you're wonderful. I called to the number you had provided and it worked. The issue was, that although i provided the address for the card to be sent to, somehow it didnt feature in the database of CIC, so had to update it again, and hopefully be receiving my card by mid April as i was told by the call center agent.

Thanks again,

cheers

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Candreamer said:
Thank you so much Wilson, you're wonderful. I called to the number you had provided and it worked. The issue was, that although i provided the address for the card to be sent to, somehow it didnt feature in the database of CIC, so had to update it again, and hopefully be receiving my card by mid April as i was told by the call center agent.

Thanks again,

cheers
Great!!. So, you can attend the conference as per schedule.
Hope your friend will be able to send it by courier so that no need for PRTD.
Good luck Candreamer :D