+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card obligations and PR renewal

h.hussein

Mar 17, 2013
I and my family have been in Waterloo on the summer of 2010. We became Canadian residents since 24 July 2010. The expiry date of the permanent resident card is 8 Sept 2015. After I became a Canadian resident I traveled back to Saudi Arabia from Canada where currently I work as an assistant professor in a university. On July 2013 I will be spending three years outside Canada. The problem is that I have an employment contract with the university till the summer of 2014 and that I am obligated to finish it, there so I cannot leave Saudi Arabia in this coming summer. Is there any solution to my problem or am I going to lose my PR card. I have another question, can I enter Canada on the next year (2014) with valid PR card.
Please help me on this matter.
Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can enter Canada as long as your PR card is still valid but if the immigration officers believe that you do not meet the residency obligation, they can report you for it which is the first step to revoke your PR. If that happens, you will still be allowed to enter but you will have 30 days to appeal for your PR. Appealing based on a job outside Canada is not very strong and you will probably lose the appeal.

In order to save your PR, once you are ready to move to Canada permanently and you are able to enter without being reported, you can stay for 2 years straight to put your PR back in good standing. There is no law against this. You are a PR until immigration decides that you aren't and if you stay out of their way for the 2 years and do not apply for anything from them, you will be fine. Just make sure you apply for your health card, drivers license etc. before your PR card expires. After you have stayed for 2 years, you can apply to renew your PR card as you will then meet the residency requirements again.

If you lose your PR but your spouse is still a PR and meets the requirements and lives in Canada, your spouse could sponsor you again.

Mar 16, 2013
dear h.hussain
u can enter in Canada before the expiry date of ur pr card even 1 day before. there is very only 1% chance that they will give u hard time

h.hussein

Mar 17, 2013
Dear Leon, Dear Canadian helper and other members

Thank you for your valuable words and comments. Sure later I will share with you any other questions and thoughts that come to mind.

hearthems

Nov 4, 2009
Hi Canadian Helper,

My wife's PR will expire in March 2015 and she has not stayed till now in Canada but plans to come in December. Here are my questions.

1. Will she be allowed to come to Canada or immigration will give her hard time.

2. Can you suggest some good lawyers to take case of my wife for the renewal of her PR in March 2015.

HHH2000

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
hearthems said:
Hi Canadian Helper,

My wife's PR will expire in March 2015 and she has not stayed till now in Canada but plans to come in December. Here are my questions.

1. Will she be allowed to come to Canada or immigration will give her hard time.

2. Can you suggest some good lawyers to take case of my wife for the renewal of her PR in March 2015.

Hi Hearttheme

Your information is not complete to reply fully, you need to tell us if you are a Canadian Citizen or you/ your wife is from Visa Exempt country.

1. She will be allowed to enter Canada if she reached Canadian border agency desk, but at that point further, she may or may not be reported for her non- compliance to residency obligation.

2. No Lawyer (unless a fraud Lawyer) can help you renew your wife PR Card in March 2015, however if you are already a Canadian citizen then there could be a different story.