Med's Done....
23-09-2010
Passport Req..
05-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
16-06-2011
LANDED..........
18-06-2011
I landed in Toronto on 18th June and completed the formalities for PR cards for me and my family at the airport on the same day. I gave one of my relatives address for PR card delivery and have returned back to Middle East. Question is, if I do not get the PR card after 40 days (which they normally mention as time for delivery), what is the next step ? I can wait for another 10-15 days but if I do not get the cards even after that, how can I get them ? Please advise

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is nothing much you can do but wait. Worst case, if they don't show up at all, you can get travel documents to return to Canada when you are ready and when you are back in Canada, you can apply for new PR cards again.

Peterleesg

Nov 24, 2011
Leon said:
There is nothing much you can do but wait. Worst case, if they don't show up at all, you can get travel documents to return to Canada when you are ready and when you are back in Canada, you can apply for new PR cards again.
Hi Leon

I do not receive my PR card due to the photograph being rejected. I was told to go to the local CIC within 180 days but I was already out of CANADA to settle my property sale at my home country. It's been a year plus, and I have sold off the property (it takes me quite a while to renovate the place and to get good buyers). I am now planning to get travel document to return to CANADA and reapply for PR card.

How long is the date of validity of this new PR card, 5 years from new date of issue or they will backdate it and give me 5 years minus the period I am absent from CANADA?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They will give you 5 years from the issue date of the new card but be aware that the period counted for the residency requirement is always a rolling 5 year period and has nothing to do with the PR card issue and expiry dates.

Peterleesg

Nov 24, 2011
Leon said:
They will give you 5 years from the issue date of the new card but be aware that the period counted for the residency requirement is always a rolling 5 year period and has nothing to do with the PR card issue and expiry dates.
Thanks for the reply and the good advice on the need to make sure the rolling five years (2/5) is adhered to. I have all intention to stay in Canada (Vancouver for me) and I will be going there next year, I have bought that one way ticket.

I am just wondering aloud:
If the expiry date of the PR card is 5 years from the date of issue and I will be issued with the card abt 1.5 years away from the date of landing due to photography error. Wouldn't that makes me as someone who have a PR card that expiry 6.5 years from the date of landing? Isn't this odd when others have PR card that expiry 5 years from landing date?

And from technical point of view. Someone in similar situation could return to Canada after being away for 6.5 years (minus the period he return to get his PR card done up). Thereafter stay in CANADA without leaving for 2 years and renew his card again, all the while retaining his PR status.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Peterleesg said:
Wouldn't that makes me as someone who have a PR card that expiry 6.5 years from the date of landing? Isn't this odd when others have PR card that expiry 5 years from landing date?
It is unusual but can happen. Could also happen when somebody has lost their PR card or it has been stolen in the middle of their PR card period and they had to apply for a new one.

Peterleesg said:
And from technical point of view. Someone in similar situation could return to Canada after being away for 6.5 years (minus the period he return to get his PR card done up). Thereafter stay in CANADA without leaving for 2 years and renew his card again, all the while retaining his PR status.
Yes and if you waited for almost 3 years outside Canada without a PR card, then got a travel document to go back, got your PR card and left again, you could be almost 8 years outside Canada but only assuming they would let you in at the end of the 8 years in regard to the residency requirements. Immigration can when you enter report you for not meeting the residency requirements. From what I have heard, they hardly ever do but they can so if they knew that a person had not been living in Canada for 6-8 years as they are entering, they could start proceedings to revoke their PR.

Peterleesg

Nov 24, 2011
Leon said:
It is unusual but can happen. Could also happen when somebody has lost their PR card or it has been stolen in the middle of their PR card period and they had to apply for a new one.

Yes and if you waited for almost 3 years outside Canada without a PR card, then got a travel document to go back, got your PR card and left again, you could be almost 8 years outside Canada but only assuming they would let you in at the end of the 8 years in regard to the residency requirements. Immigration can when you enter report you for not meeting the residency requirements. From what I have heard, they hardly ever do but they can so if they knew that a person had not been living in Canada for 6-8 years as they are entering, they could start proceedings to revoke their PR.
This is interestingly technical actually. Someone can actually stay out 3 years, then obtain a new PR card, and return 5 years later prior to PR card expiry.

Actually there is no assuming that they would or would not let this individual in. This person will be let in and can not be deny entry as his PR card is still valid. He can only wish that he is not reported, so that he can fulfill his 730 days requirements.