+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card "not expired" but SIN is invalid

sairasaira

Jun 30, 2012
I received my PR card in July 2012 and I left for my home country in Oct 2012. My PR card is valid for 5 years. (I am principal applicant). I had to stay a little longer at my home country therefore i informed CCTB and PR related department on phone to stop my CCTB payments and also inform them that i will be returning in 2013. I have been told (on phone) by few of the companies that my SIN is invalid. (I had to clear few of my dues therfore i called these companies when i was NOT in canada).
Please let me know what will happen when i will be returning to canada in Dec 2013. My PR card is valid, my SIN is invalid/ blocked. Do i need to take some documents with me? do i need to report Government before i enter Canada on valid PR?
Thanks in advance

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Were you working in Canada before getting your PR and did you have a SIN that started with 9? If that is the case, that is a temporary SIN and would expire with your work permit. You would have had to apply for a new SIN as you got your PR.

If you were not working in Canada and you got this SIN after you got your PR and it doesn't start with 9, that sounds like a different problem.

In any case, when you return to Canada with your valid PR card, you do not have to notify anybody of anything until after you have entered when you will go to Service Canada and clear up the problem with your SIN. If it was a temporary SIN, you inform them of that and apply for a new one and if it wasn't a temporary SIN, go to them all the same and tell them that CRA and other agencies have told you that your SIN is invalid and you want them to look into that.

sairasaira

Jun 30, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I just checked my SIN doesnot start with 9. I landed as an immigrant. Got my SIN on my landing papers and then after about 2 months got the PR card. Never worked in Canada. After having my PR and health cards returned to home country. I hope its not going to be a big problem. or can it be? Just little concerned that CRA/ service Canada doesnot find any issue with it. Many people told me that I must haven't informed CRA or CCTB about leaving but i found it unfair. Hope things are not problematic....need ur words on this please!! THANKS

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You did right informing CRA that you left because you are not eligible to receive CCTB if you are not living in Canada. If you had not informed them and continued to receive it, you would have been in trouble if they found out.

You should also have told your health care that you were leaving. You may have lost your health care leaving for so long. If you are living in a province with a waiting period, you may have to serve the waiting period again when you return.

You should inform your health care right now when you left and once you come back, you should inform them that you are back and see what they do.