+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card (New/Renewal) Processing Timeline 2021

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Yes. My wife application was DM the same day they started processing. Mine took a month for DM. Don't know how it works. Weird.
Yes, it is weird. Two kids and my applications were DMs one day after AORs. My wife case is still in process after AOR. Interesting...
Not really complicated. There is very little "processing" involved when a PR Card application is routine. Most PRC applications are decided when they are opened or very soon after that, and the only other steps or actions taken are those to physically issue a new card and deliver it.

For the routine application it is basically about establishing the identity of the applicant (the PR) and establishing their PR status (this takes just seconds in GCMS, but processing agents are probably allotted a number of minutes to do this), and reviewing the information in the application to determine if there are any reasons to question the PR's presence in Canada. If there are no questions, no concerns, done. Application approved and referred to whoever does the issuing of a PR card and then on to mailing.

If upon opening the application a processing agent has questions, concerns, or cause to initiate investigatory processing, typically in regards to the PR's presence in Canada and compliance with the Residency Obligation, the application is subject to non-routine processing. That means going into a queue for another processing agent to assess and deal with whatever reason tipped the application out of the routine processing work flow. The wait time is queue time. That can go long.

See or start another topic for discussion about particular non-routine procedures for PRC applications; they can range widely, ranging from those reviewed and approved without problem (other than the delay in time, mostly spent in queue waiting for an agent to take this step), to referral to a local office for investigatory processing, or referral to Secondary Review, with potential side trips along the way. Secondary Review, in particular, tends to result in rather lengthy timelines. That said, one of the side trips for approved applications can be in-person pick-up, which in normal times only delays getting the card by a matter of weeks or a couple months or so, but during Covid-times has resulted in a more or less indefinite delay, and is a situation which appears to still be in limbo.

More than a few PRs seem to think that because they know they have complied with the PR Residency Obligation, IRCC should not have any questions or concerns. Not how it works. Especially for those cutting-it-close, those with more or less obvious on-going residential ties or employment or businesses abroad, those with certain patterns of travel indicating a possibility they have not settled permanently in Canada, among other factors or circumstances which might trigger elevated scrutiny . . . meaning non-routine processing . . . meaning a significantly longer timeline.

For comparison purposes: Not sure, but I also suspect that minors, at least those who appear to be IN Canada, benefit from some positive presumptions that may lean heavily in favour of approving the issuance of a new PRC without delay.

ranjan05

Star Member
May 22, 2012
I am trying to contact CIC about my PR renewal application . I am trying morning at 8 AM but it always says we can not transfer your call to Agent. what is the best time to try & find status. Is there any other number also.

skidmarkz

Mar 15, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
SINGAPORE
NOC Code......
CIVIL ENGINEER
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
13-02-2015
AOR Received.
17-03-2015
Med's Request
11-12-2015
Med's Done....
30-12-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Jan 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 2016
This is my timeline but until today i have not received the AOR paper copy in the mail, anyone with the same experience?

1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on October 25, 2021.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on January 11, 2022.
  3. We started processing your application on January 11, 2022.
Your timeline is almost same with mine, have you got any update no 4 yet?

Sbs21

Aug 19, 2021
Hi All,
Below is the status for me and my spouse's PR, we both sent the applications in the same envelope on Nov 3rd.
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on November 8, 2021.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on January 17, 2022.
  3. We started processing your application on January 17, 2022, DM status on Jan 23rd
  4. Your Permanent Resident card was sent by mail on January 26, 2022.
  5. Received the PR card today by mail for both. :D, Thanks to GOD, Best wishes and prayers for all who are waiting !!!

JamesBox

Star Member
Jan 15, 2016
Med's Done....
11-02-2016
Received an email on Feb 2nd 2022, saying they received my application on December 6th, 2021.

Based on current processing times, when could I expect to have a decision? Seems to be moving quicker than the estimated 120 days.

benq

Star Member
Dec 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your timeline is almost same with mine, have you got any update no 4 yet?
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on November 3, 2021.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on January 14, 2022.
  3. We started processing your application on January 14, 2022.
we r on the same boat. DM on Jan 15, no more update

Vignesh1985

Nov 10, 2014
Hi All,
Below is the status for me and my spouse's PR, we both sent the applications in the same envelope on Nov 3rd.
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on November 8, 2021.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on January 17, 2022.
  3. We started processing your application on January 17, 2022, DM status on Jan 23rd
  5. Received the PR card today by mail for both. :D, Thanks to GOD, Best wishes and prayers for all who are waiting !!!
Lucky You...!!! That was very fast...!!! By the way did you get an email when they mail the PR cards?

Vignesh1985

Nov 10, 2014
Hi Friends, After the Decision is Made, do we get any emails or we just have to keep checking the eCAS page for the updates? So far got only one email for AOR.

7LUCKY7

Feb 3, 2022
Hi all, below is timeline for my PR card renewal application. Card received on Feb 01 2022.
  3. We started processing your application on January 17, 2022. ( I saw Decision Made on Jan 18)

JamesBox

Star Member
Jan 15, 2016
Med's Done....
11-02-2016
Update:

1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on Dec 6, 2021.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on Feb 2, 2022.
  3. We started processing your application on Feb 2, 2022.
  4. Decision Made Feb 3, 2022.

Received to Decision Made - 59 days.

Now waiting on hearing the outcome of the decision.

Reactions: UniqueCase