+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card (New/Renewal) Processing Timeline 2020

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

As the PR renewal application process time is so long - does anyone know the answer to this question?
Am PR. Already living in the country. Applied for PR renewal. While application is pending - can I leave the country - and re-enter on my existing PR card, so long as the date on the my current PR card is within validity?

Thank you
1/ Yes.

Orlaith

Nov 15, 2013
Hi

1/ Yes.
Yes but if for any reason you get stuck outside due to a second wave of COVID 19 - or some serious travel restrictions - and your PR card expires you will be stuck outside Canada until your PR card is renewed so think carefully before making any journey. I say this only because of my own experience which is that my PR card expired and I applied for renewal in March and I don't expect I will get my card until 2021 at the earliest. And I am stuck outside of Canada....

Reactions: carl321

IvanVano

Aug 29, 2017
Most probably my PR card will expire 2-3 months before I'm eligible to apply for citizenship. If I apply for PR renewal and it will be stuck in line for this long, will I be able to apply for citizenship while still waiting for PR card?

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Most probably my PR card will expire 2-3 months before I'm eligible to apply for citizenship. If I apply for PR renewal and it will be stuck in line for this long, will I be able to apply for citizenship while still waiting for PR card?
Yes you can apply, as long as you meet all the requirement. Having a valid pr card is not a must for citizenship, you do not need it to apply.

jn791

Star Member
Jul 23, 2019
Dear Friends,

I hope someone can help me with a query.

I am an Indian citizen and currently living in Canada. I became PR on June 1st, 2020. My Indian passport is going to get expired in the next few months. I am yet to receive my PR card. To renew my passport, I need to submit a status in Canada proof. Shall the PR confirmation letter serve the purpose?
I think that should be fine

kelly017

Star Member
Oct 15, 2016
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on February 27, 2020.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on March 12, 2020.
  3. We started processing your application on March 12, 2020.
  4. Your Permanent Resident card was sent by mail on March 18, 2020

I haven't checked the mail due to the COVID situation. But I assume it'll be delivered soon. I guess I don't need to worry about not having my PR card for my upcoming travels because I've had to cancel them
Hi may i know how can i check my pr card in ecas? What should i put? Thanks

Iam_cracker

Star Member
Nov 8, 2019
Received COPR in email on 6th July, I mailed 1 photo and Email COPR confirmation on 7th July, they were reached IRCC Montreal on 8th July. Linked PR application to my online account on 7th. Anyone who is in a similar phase ? When do they update a confirmation that they received my photo and PR card application!! I will appreciate you response

lloyd153

May 31, 2019
Received COPR in email on 6th July, I mailed 1 photo and Email COPR confirmation on 7th July, they were reached IRCC Montreal on 8th July. Linked PR application to my online account on 7th. Anyone who is in a similar phase ? When do they update a confirmation that they received my photo and PR card application!! I will appreciate you response
Sadly you will not receive confirmation until they open your letter and start processing your application.

I sent my photo and letter to the Montreal office and it arrived recorded delivery on June 11th. I have heard nothing since.

geekygod

Nov 21, 2017
Hi all, I have a small question regarding PR Cards. Lets say as a new permanent resident, I leave the country after a month to go to my country and finish off some business. From there I apply a PRTD to come back to Canada. My question is that my PR Card which would now have arrived at my relative's house - will they become invalid because I applied for PRTD saying that I don't have access to my PR Card? Does this mean that I will have to apply for a fresh PR Card once I come back to Canada using my PRTD?