+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card - Necessities & Rules

prasadonwire

May 4, 2017
Dear Forum,

Have a question wrt PR card approval. I recently got PR through Express Entry approved (for self with family).

I now have a critical question with respect to moving there. For some personal exigency (one of my parent passed) my moving plans impacted a bit, as I wont be able to stay in Canada for long within next 1 year, but looking to make short visit if that can help initiate PR Card approvals process.

A couple of our friends suggested (& so did a few online blogs) that, we could temporarily visit Canada (I'm resident of India currently & planning to live in Toronto), before my Visa expires (which is by end of April 2018) and stay there for a few days & return to India. Where during my port of entry I could provide residential address of our friends at Toronto. With this authorities at Canada Immigration would start processing our PR & once the PR Card is ready it could be delivered to the given (such friend's) address.

Is this a plausible option for me to pursue? I highly appreciate your advise on this above or any other alternative solution that could help us.
Thanks for all the help!
Prasad

rockytg

Apr 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2016
Doc's Request.
22-Apr-2016, Additional Doc Request 13-July-2016
Nomination.....
29-July-2016
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2016
Med's Done....
22 August, further tests 18 Sep, 11 Oct Meds passed
Passport Req..
06-Mar-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2017
LANDED..........
Jun 2017
The moment you clear immigration at port of entry, you are a PR. So, you can go ahead with your plans of short landing and giving your friends address for PR card delivery.
For returning to Canada you can do one of the following
- have your friend post your PR card by courier
- apply for a PR travel document when in India. This would let you enter Canada without a PR card.

Last edited:
Reactions: prasadonwire

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
In addition to getting the PR card mailed to OP at a friends address who would then courier/ mail it to India also the OP should of course sort out their SIN on their short landing .

prasadonwire

May 4, 2017
The moment you clear immigration at port of entry, you are a PR. So, you can go ahead with your plans of short landing and giving your friends address for PR card delivery.
For returning to Canada you can do one of the following
- have your friend post your PR card by courier
- apply for a PR travel document when in India. This would let you enter Canada without a PR.
Thanks much! This is helpful.

prasadonwire

May 4, 2017
In addition to getting the PR card mailed to OP at a friends address who would then courier/ mail it to India also the OP should of course sort out their SIN on their short landing .
Thank you! Can you please also help me understand what's OP & SIN, so I get perspective?
Sorry, probably a stupid question!

rockytg

Apr 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2016
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
29-July-2016
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
06-Mar-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2017
LANDED..........
Jun 2017
Thank you! Can you please also help me understand what's OP & SIN, so I get perspective?
Sorry, probably a stupid question!
OP is original poster.
SIN is social insurance number.

Once in Canada , you can do the following
- apply for SIN. For some this happens at the POE
- open a bank account
- if possible get a credit card. This can help you in building credit history
- if you have to start from scratch, apply for driving license if possible. There is a waiting period before one can apply for the next level, hence your time out of Canada would help.
- medical insurance avoid. However, would like someone to confirm.

prasadonwire

May 4, 2017
OP is original poster.
SIN is social insurance number.

Once in Canada , you can do the following
- apply for SIN. For some this happens at the POE
- open a bank account
- if possible get a credit card. This can help you in building credit history
- if you have to start from scratch, apply for driving license if possible. There is a waiting period before one can apply for the next level, hence your time out of Canada would help.
- medical insurance avoid. However, would like someone to confirm.
This is very helpful, thank you!
I see SIN (is akin to SSN in the US) will be an important thing to have sorted once in Canada. Will research the process to get the process sorted during my brief stay over there.
Pls direct me to any other aspects that I need to read/research on to prep myself.

Best

rockytg

Apr 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2016
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
29-July-2016
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
06-Mar-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2017
LANDED..........
Jun 2017
I can let you about my landing formalities and the documents I had, might not hold in entirety for you.

At POE ensure you have the following
- passport
- COPR

In addition to the above I had the following documents with me, might not hold for all
- PR card application filled. This was not required at POE. The immigration officer just checked for passport and COPR and I was not required to fill or submit any form for PR
- goods to follow list(2 copies) I did not have much goods to follow but I did take the form with me. Was not asked for it. If you have goods that you want to bring later then do carry this form with you.. was not asked for it by the immigration officer.
- goods accompanying list(2 copies) was not asked for it.
- 2 photograph. Was not asked for it.
- proof of funds document. I had with me the following
* Last 6 months bank statement
* Letter from bank(stamped and on bank letterhead) that I was having the required amount in my account
* International Debit/credit card in case they ask how would I be transferring/using the funds in my account
* Online access to my account
As was the case with other documents I was not asked for it.
- travel insurance

And make a list of what all places you can visit :)

vig123

Star Member
Dec 29, 2015
Hey guys,

Currently I live in Canada and have also completed my 2 years full time studies here. I would be applying for my PR after 3-4 months. So, when is the right time to do the medical test and criminal record check? Do I need to do those before I submit my PR application or now ? And also in regards to the credential assessment, can I start the process now?

rockytg

Apr 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2016
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
29-July-2016
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
06-Mar-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2017
LANDED..........
Jun 2017
Hey guys,

Currently I live in Canada and have also completed my 2 years full time studies here. I would be applying for my PR after 3-4 months. So, when is the right time to do the medical test and criminal record check? Do I need to do those before I submit my PR application or now ? And also in regards to the credential assessment, can I start the process now?
Below post(pinned) should answer the questions you have

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/express-entry-expression-of-interest.54/

vig123

Star Member
Dec 29, 2015
Hello guys,

I was working in 2 different chartered accountancy firms in India. Though the roles & responsibilities were those of accountant/auditor, the experience letter for one of the firm says 'Article Trainee' and the other says 'Assistant Accountant', so, would those come under the NOC category for applying my PR?

ashwin85

Dec 28, 2017
Hello there,
Can you shed some light on this?

I Currently hold a stamped Passport (last date of entry-4/4/2018) along with CoPR as a reply to my PNP to Nova Scotia along with my wife. I am at the moment based in New Zealand with my Master Degree course finishing by the Mid July of 2018, and my wife working alongside. We wish to settle in Canada and find some job suitable to my qualifications. But the problem is that i cannot skip classes for long before the semester breaks. I need some inputs regarding how to tackle this problem of completing the course and holding on to the PR in Canada.

• Is it possible for me to enter Canada for a few days, give my friend's address for the PR card and then head back to NZ for my course?, if so what is the minimum days needed to be in Canada?.
  • How can i travel back to NZ and re-enter Canada( do i need to produce a statement proposing reason of travelling back to NZ).
  • What all essentials do i need to consider getting once in Canada (like Health Insurance, Tax number etc..)
  • Is Halifax only my Port of Entry as i was with PNP- Nova Scotia.
Any help on these matters would be of great help.

Cheers,

Ashwin Alex

R

rish888

Q1) Yes, it is ok. You can land and leave the same day if you want, but it's probably best to stay a few days if not for anything to see NS. As you're a NS PNP I think you may need to provide a NS address, but I'm not sure. Other members can comment on the requierments.

Q2) You can travel back to NZ as long as you have a NZ visa. You need your PR card to re-enter Canada (you friend can courier it) or you will need to apply for a PRTD at the Canadian embassy in NZ about a month to two months before you want to travel. The PRTD is like a visa they stamp in your passport and it lets you get on a plane to Canada.

Note as a PR you have a right to a PRTD. You don't need to explain anything, just fill out the application and the embassy is required by law to issue you a PRTD.

Q3) Get your Social Insurance number upon landing. There is a Service Canada office in Toronto airport that can issue this number to you. You should only apply for a health card and driver's license when you move for good.

Q4) You can enter at any airport, but have an onward ticket to Nova Scotia. Your final destination should be NS even if you're first entry to Canda is through another airport.

Note on the Residency Obligation:

As a PR you're required to stay in Canada for at least 2 years in the 5 year period following your landing. Make sure you return no later than 2 years after become a PR. The extra year's buffer will allow you vacations, emergency travel back home, etc.

Congratulations!

ttknil

Dec 28, 2017
Hi
1. if someone applies for the renewal of PR card and after applying if he leaves Canada for 4/5 months for urgency in the home country, does the IRCC will send the new card to his/her mailing address? he has already lived more than 1095 days in Canada
2. can one of his family member send the new PR card to his home country by mail/courier? I mean is it legal to send to renewed PR card to his back home if IRCC sent it by mail?
Thank you very much in advance for your reply.