+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Name Change

xKNA

Jun 28, 2023
Hello everyone,

I recently became a Permanent Resident of Canada (April 2023), and have done a legal name change in Canada since then. Today, I received my new passport with my new name and submitted a PR Card renewal online to change my name on my PR Card. However, I think I made a mistake. In the part where I had to upload proof of residence, or proof of presence, I only uploaded my Car Insurance because I've been a PR for three months and haven't left Canada yet. Will this cause my application to be returned? If so, what can I submit next time in this section. I don't have a NOA with my new SIN which is why I didn't upload my NOA.

Also, will my current PR Card be cancelled if my new PR Card application is returned, or will it only be cancelled if the new application is approved and a new PR card is mailed out?

xKNA

Jun 28, 2023
Submit the following to USCIS:
  1. Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card (Green Card);
  2. Applicable fees;
  3. The Green Card containing the incorrect information; and.
  4. Supporting documentation to show what the correct information should be (see Form I-90 instructions (PDF, 361.11 KB) for examples).
Thank you for this response, but USCIS is for the US, and I am talking about changing the name on my Canadian PR card. I've already changed the name on my U.S passport.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello everyone,

I recently became a Permanent Resident of Canada (April 2023), and have done a legal name change in Canada since then. Today, I received my new passport with my new name and submitted a PR Card renewal online to change my name on my PR Card. However, I think I made a mistake. In the part where I had to upload proof of residence, or proof of presence, I only uploaded my Car Insurance because I've been a PR for three months and haven't left Canada yet. Will this cause my application to be returned? If so, what can I submit next time in this section. I don't have a NOA with my new SIN which is why I didn't upload my NOA.

Also, will my current PR Card be cancelled if my new PR Card application is returned, or will it only be cancelled if the new application is approved and a new PR card is mailed out?
Only a guess but I think you should be fine if you're a new PR - checking your residency is only a formality as you're obviously compliant with the residency obligation. But wait and see.

I don't believe they would cancel your existing card until AFTER the new card has been issued, somebody here reported a specific figure, 60 days I think.

A q though: you did legal change of name in Canada even though only resident for three months? How? Or which province? I thought a requirement was resident for a year in most provinces (although quite possible they don't actually check).

xKNA

Jun 28, 2023
Only a guess but I think you should be fine if you're a new PR - checking your residency is only a formality as you're obviously compliant with the residency obligation. But wait and see.

I don't believe they would cancel your existing card until AFTER the new card has been issued, somebody here reported a specific figure, 60 days I think.

A q though: you did legal change of name in Canada even though only resident for three months? How? Or which province? I thought a requirement was resident for a year in most provinces (although quite possible they don't actually check).
Hello, thank you for responding. Ok, I guess if they return it I will try to upload other documents for residency. One more question, if they return my application can I reuse the same payment receipt, or would I have to pay again?

As for your question, I live in PEI, and their website says their requirements are to be a resident for at least three months, but when I went it with my Health Card to ask questions, they told me it's fine I can file it right away, and didn't bother to check anything, and changed my name. It took about three weeks.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello, thank you for responding. Ok, I guess if they return it I will try to upload other documents for residency. One more question, if they return my application can I reuse the same payment receipt, or would I have to pay again?
I don't know - I think it will likely not be refused, but they might ask you for more info, in which case, not an issue.

xKNA

Jun 28, 2023
I don't know - I think it will likely not be refused, but they might ask you for more info, in which case, not an issue.
Do they ask for more information on an online application? I thought they returned it and you had to resubmit it.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Do they ask for more information on an online application? I thought they returned it and you had to resubmit it.
They can always ask for more information.

As far as I'm aware, they return when the application is clearly incomplete - some missing form, signature, etc. Less information than they would like - they accept and proceed as needed.

Reactions: xKNA

xKNA

Jun 28, 2023
They can always ask for more information.

As far as I'm aware, they return when the application is clearly incomplete - some missing form, signature, etc. Less information than they would like - they accept and proceed as needed.
Perfect. Thank you for all of your responses. I have one last question. If they return my application as incomplete, can I reuse my old payment receipt to reapply or will I have to pay again?

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Perfect. Thank you for all of your responses. I have one last question. If they return my application as incomplete, can I reuse my old payment receipt to reapply or will I have to pay again?
You can use same payment receipt. I don’t think so your application will be returned however you can submit webform.

xKNA

Jun 28, 2023
You can use same payment receipt. I don’t think so your application will be returned however you can submit webform.
Thank you very much for your response. I'll update this post whenever I get an update on my application

xKNA

Jun 28, 2023
A little update on my case, I called IRCC on August 28th because I hadn't received any updates, and when I gave them my UCI I got an application number different than the original one. I linked it to GCKey and there have not been any updates at all. It's been sitting on Submitted Status since I linked it. I called twice a week since I received my Application number, and every time the agents told me I need to wait for the processing time to pass before they can send a note to the IRCC office handling my application. However, the last time I called on Friday I was told that the officer in charge left a note on August 28th that they need more time to process my application. Surprisingly, none of the other agent over the phone had said this before until my last call. I did call and speak to another agent to confirm this, and they too, confirmed a note was left on my application since August 28th.

I have been told by every agent that I passed "Eligibility" and everything looks good, and nothing extra has been requested, but the note from the officer has me a bit worried. Has anyone seen a case like this, where the officer leaves a note saying they need more time to process an application? I have a trip planned abroad, however, I am too scared to go now that my PR card application is stuck.

In GCKey and for the phone agent's my name shows as the old one for the PR Card application. Everytime I say the new name when I call the agents put me on hold and check the files I submitted and then say, oh I see the new name here, I am not sure why the application still shows the old name. I'm not sure if my application has issues at this point or not. This is another reason I am worried.

If it helps I checked and my file is still with the Sydney office, and it has not been referred to a local visa office for processing. I have also requested GCMS notes to see if there is anything the officer has mentioned in regards to this application.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Edit: One more piece of information about my name.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
In GCKey and for the phone agent's my name shows as the old one for the PR Card application. Everytime I say the new name when I call the agents put me on hold and check the files I submitted and then say, oh I see the new name here, I am not sure why the application still shows the old name. I'm not sure if my application has issues at this point or not. This is another reason I am worried.
Have you tried your MP's office? Just ask them for assistance in dislodging it.

Honestly the only thing I see as being odd is that you changed your name right after landing, whereas I thought most provinces required smeone to be resident for 12 months before doing so.

But I don't think that's relevant really, if it's legal in the province, it's legal, and it's none of IRCC's business to wonder about that.

My gut reaction is that this is nothing more than fuckwittery and not being very good at changing the name in the system, and most likley of all just a junior officer not very good at their job. I say this because they keep having trouble finding you in the system. (I also don't understand why a new UCI#.)

xKNA

Jun 28, 2023
Have you tried your MP's office? Just ask them for assistance in dislodging it.

Honestly the only thing I see as being odd is that you changed your name right after landing, whereas I thought most provinces required smeone to be resident for 12 months before doing so.

But I don't think that's relevant really, if it's legal in the province, it's legal, and it's none of IRCC's business to wonder about that.

My gut reaction is that this is nothing more than fuckwittery and not being very good at changing the name in the system, and most likley of all just a junior officer not very good at their job. I say this because they keep having trouble finding you in the system. (I also don't understand why a new UCI#.)
Thank you for your response Armoured.

No, I haven't tried to contact my MP's office as processing time just passed two days ago. I may try to reach out to them today.

I think an issue I have is that I am a dual citizen, and IRCC is aware of this because I submitted both passports at time of PR application, but I only managed to change the name on one passport, and only submitted the new passport in the new name for my PR Card renewal on June 28, and didn't submit the secondary passport which has the old name.

The name change is definitely legal in the province, and in other countries. It's been used to change the name on my Drivers License, Provincial Health Card, SIN number has my new name, and even managed to use the legal name change in the U.S. to get my passport, SSN, and birth certificate updated to my new name.

I'm sorry, there must have been a misunderstanding. There wasn't a new UCI issued. My UCI remains the same. The issue I had when I called the first time to check on the status of my PR card application was it's showing the old name, and when I gave them the new name they had to put me on hold to check the documents i've submitted to be able to confirm it's me. I still have this issue as neither my UCI or application number has my new name on it. It still shows the old name.

I called IRCC on Monday, and they sent out an email to the office in charge of my application as the agent said the processing time has passed. Oddly, this last agent couldn't see the note left by the agent requesting extra time, so she went ahead and sent an email to the office, and asked me to wait 60 days before calling back.

Last edited:

xKNA

Jun 28, 2023
I called my MP and their Liaison's office told me that since there is a legal name change involved the normal processing times don't apply anymore, and if there hasn't been any updates by the end of October to reach back out to her for her to check the status of my application. I spoke to an IRCC Agent after, and she told me that unless I have urgent travel plans then I need to wait to hear back however long that may take. Now, I do have travel plans in November. I mentioned this to the agent and she asked me to resubmit an urgent application along with proof of travel. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can reuse the same payment receipt to resubmit my PR Card application under Urgent processing, or should I use a new payment receipt? I forgot to ask this from the agent, and haven't been able to get through to them due to the call volume, and since my application wasn't returned I am not sure if the application receipt was used or not.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I called my MP and their Liaison's office told me that since there is a legal name change involved the normal processing times don't apply anymore, and if there hasn't been any updates by the end of October to reach back out to her for her to check the status of my application. I spoke to an IRCC Agent after, and she told me that unless I have urgent travel plans then I need to wait to hear back however long that may take. Now, I do have travel plans in November. I mentioned this to the agent and she asked me to resubmit an urgent application along with proof of travel. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can reuse the same payment receipt to resubmit my PR Card application under Urgent processing, or should I use a new payment receipt? I forgot to ask this from the agent, and haven't been able to get through to them due to the call volume, and since my application wasn't returned I am not sure if the application receipt was used or not.
You can probably use the same payment receipt.

But think about it - you say it's urgent and you're worried, do you want to risk it being sent back for not having paid fees?

It's $50. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.