+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Issue

Apr 4, 2019
Hi,

I have 6 months validity left on my PR Card (expires in September 2024). I want to enter Canada again next month however there is no way I will be meeting my residency obligation as I have only spent one month in Canada between Sep 2019 and now.

My question is, since there is an automated scanning kiosk system for PR holders to enter Canada now - how will the immigration officer be flagged that I am entering with no chance of meeting my RO?

Appreciate the guidance

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
Hi,

I have 6 months validity left on my PR Card (expires in September 2024). I want to enter Canada again next month however there is no way I will be meeting my residency obligation as I have only spent one month in Canada between Sep 2019 and now.

My question is, since there is an automated scanning kiosk system for PR holders to enter Canada now - how will the immigration officer be flagged that I am entering with no chance of meeting my RO?

Appreciate the guidance
Even if you are going through the automated kiosk, you will still speak to an officer on your way out. The system may flag you automatically based on your entry/exit history, and/or the officer may ask you questions, such as "when were you last in Canada?", "do you meet your residency obligation?", "where do you live?"

Some people may be tempted to answer these questions evasively or event outright lie, but that is a very bad idea if you want to retain any chances of keeping your PR status.

There are cases where officers have been quite lenient despite knowing that the person in front of them is not meeting RO. But there are no guarantees.

Apr 4, 2019
Thanks Besram. Just one more question - what's the worst case scenario? Can they deport me or stop me from entering just because I cannot meet RO requirements?

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
You will be allowed to enter, but it's possible they will start the process of revoking your PR status that can result in a removal order. It isn't enforceable for 30 days, and you can appeal it within this timeframe. If you appeal, you will be allowed to remain in Canada with the ability to work until the appeal is heard. This can take many months and often more than year.

Please do a search in this forum. These types of questions have been answered multiple times.

Reactions: Ponga