+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card interview

sabina786

Jul 23, 2009
My husband had his wallet stolen which included the pr card. We filed a police report and applied for replacement card. That was almost a year ago. We received a letter stating that he needs to come in and bring in proof of stay along with abunch of other documents.

Why would he be called in for an interview?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

sabina786 said:
My husband had his wallet stolen which included the pr card. We filed a police report and applied for replacement card. That was almost a year ago. We received a letter stating that he needs to come in and bring in proof of stay along with abunch of other documents.

Why would he be called in for an interview?
1. Only the first PR card is mailed.
2. With the documents they are asking for, they want to determine if he has resided in Canada to determine if he has met his PR residency requirement.

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Like PMM said, it's only the first PR card that is mailed. After that, you have to show up and get it. It's not really an interview but you have to prove who you are. I do not remember anymore what documents they made me bring but I could take a wild guess and say it was the landing papers and passport.

sabina786

Jul 23, 2009
Yes, all the items mentioned but the list is very long.

Medical Expense and Personal claim history
Leases agreements for the past five years
Nopies of notices for assessment for the past 5 years
accounting records
tax records

The list goes on....is this normal? The required documents are very long. I just don't understand why this is all required all of the sudden for a replacement of a lost PR card.

Please advise.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, this is not normal. It seems that they believe he may not fulfill the residency requirements. Has he spent long periods in other countries?

One good way to help prove residency is bring bank statements and credit card statements from that time. If you don't have them anymore, you can get copies from the bank. They will show where he has been using his ATM card or credit cards over long periods of time.

sabina786

Jul 23, 2009
Leon said:
No, this is not normal. It seems that they believe he may not fulfill the residency requirements. Has he spent long periods in other countries?

One good way to help prove residency is bring bank statements and credit card statements from that time. If you don't have them anymore, you can get copies from the bank. They will show where he has been using his ATM card or credit cards over long periods of time.
He landed in 2000 Pr card was issused in July 2000
Pr card expires July 2011
He did go to the usa in 2001-Aug 2005.
Reutrned to Canada in aug 2005 and has been there since.

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
That seems to be the problem. If he landed in 2000, left canada in 2001 and didn't returned until 2005 there is a risk he hasn't met the residency requirements and need proof that he meets the minumin requirements of 2 years stay out of 5 years. I hope I'm wrong...

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

GK said:
That seems to be the problem. If he landed in 2000, left canada in 2001 and didn't returned until 2005 there is a risk he hasn't met the residency requirements and need proof that he meets the minumin requirements of 2 years stay out of 5 years. I hope I'm wrong...
Plus PR cards weren't issued until 2002.

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He could not have had a PR card in July of 2000. They didn't have them back then. I became a PR in early 2002 so I know. I did not get one until late 2003 when they started hammering the importance of everybody needing one for travel. It was a new thing then. Back in 2002, the residency requirements for PR were also 6 months a year. I think it was changed around the same time, I am not positive about that.

So.. basically, that means that if your husband was in the US for 4 years, 2001 to 2005, he would have lost his PR. Probably he would have lost it back in 2002 because of the old rules but even with the new rules, you are only allowed 3 years outside Canada. Since his PR card that was stolen was supposed to expire July 2011, he must have got it in 2006. I don't know why they would have given it to him. They should have told him he had lost his PR. That is unless you are a citizen and he's keeping it because of living with you or he was transferred to the US while working for a Canadian company or some such.

sabina786

Jul 23, 2009
It says date of issue on his card for 2000.... I don't know if that is the way they list it. Should he go? Will he be in trouble? Will he get deported?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no date of issue on the cards. It gives the date you became a PR. What is your status? Are you a citizen or PR? If he loses PR but you don't, then you can sponsor him back. If he has a life in Canada, kids etc. they may consider letting him stay for H&C reasons.

The question is what he said on his application for PR card back in 2006. If he actually said that he was in the US for 4 years, they probably would not have renewed it. If it was their mistake, they can't really hold it against him but if he lied to them and they are catching him for it now, then he could be in trouble.

sabina786

Jul 23, 2009
Just thought I would post a update.

He went to the interview with all of his paperwork. They reviewed it and asked several questions. After that they told him that he will have a letter sent stating his pr card is approved and then it will be mailed out.

SJK

Dec 3, 2008
Hi Sabina,

I too have been called for such an interview. Can you give me some insight to the kinds of questions they asked your husband?

Thanks