+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card holder wondering if there would be any reason why I could not return to Canada

AJP1

Jun 10, 2017
Pretty simple question, and I am sure that I am fine as I have not found any information to the contrary.

I have a PR card, it is well within its expiry date. I have been abroad for 7 months. Is there any reason why I may not be able to return. As far as I know I have no reason to suspect that I would not be able to.

Just really a little anxious that I won't be able to board my flight.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
No reason at all why you should have any issues as long as your PR card and passport are both valid when you present yourself at checkin.

Omar34

Jul 31, 2018
Nothing to worry about at all, as long as you respect the minimum residency requirement. i.e. be physically present in Canada at least 2 years in evry 5 year period. In your case, you are fine.

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
If anybody meet 365 days in 4years ? Will they face any problem?
If it is within the first five years of the initial landing as a PR, 365 days is sufficient provided there are at least another 365 days left in the first five year period at the time the PR is examined.

In all other cases, you need to look back 5 years from the time of examination, so having 365 days in the last 4 years is only enough if you also have 730 days in the last 5 years.

cyberdemon

May 8, 2019
If it is within the first five years of the initial landing as a PR, 365 days is sufficient provided there are at least another 365 days left in the first five year period at the time the PR is examined.

In all other cases, you need to look back 5 years from the time of examination, so having 365 days in the last 4 years is only enough if you also have 730 days in the last 5 years.
Thanks. But if he/she have valid PR card but have less than 730days during enter ?

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
Thanks. But if he/she have valid PR card but have less than 730days during enter ?
PR card validity is irrelevant for purposes of residency obligation compliance.

To answer your question, we will need to know:

When did you first land as a PR?

How many days exactly have you spent in Canada in the last five years?

cyberdemon

May 8, 2019
PR card validity is irrelevant for purposes of residency obligation compliance.

To answer your question, we will need to know:

When did you first land as a PR?

How many days exactly have you spent in Canada in the last five years?
5 days in last 3years.

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
5 days in last 3years.
So you landed more than 3 years ago, and you have accumulated 5 days of presence in Canada since you landed?

If so, you are likely in breach of the RO. It depends on when exactly you landed.

If you are in breach, you may be reported when you attempt to return to Canada.