+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card expired entry by road

palaman4

May 6, 2015
Hello All,

Will surely thank you with a +1 vote (like) for your answer!
My PR card has expired last week but I need to go out of Canada. I still have a valid US visa on my Indian passport.
Can someone please confirm if I can enter from U.S into Canada by road (walking). with an expired pr card. I meet all requirements for renewing PR card and have already filed for it.
Can I still show my expired PR when I walk into Canada border at Niagara falls or else what documents are required in that case ?

Thank you

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All,

My PR card has expired last week but I need to go out of Canada. I still have a valid US visa on my Indian passport.
Can someone please confirm if I can enter from U.S into Canada by road (walking). with an expired pr card. I meet all requirements for renewing PR card and have already filed for it.
Can I still show my expired PR when I walk into Canada border at Niagara falls or else what documents are required in that case ?

Thank you
Yes you can use your expired PR card or the original COPR or passport - when you return to Canada.

Kamiste2

Jul 9, 2021
Hello All,

Thank you
Hi Palaman4,

Could you please share your experience at the border? What documents were requested? I’m planning to cross the border by private vehicle a few weeks after my PR card expires, but I won’t have my COPR, only the expired PR card.

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Palaman4,

Could you please share your experience at the border? What documents were requested? I’m planning to cross the border by private vehicle a few weeks after my PR card expires, but I won’t have my COPR, only the expired PR card.

Thanks
Expired PR cards are fine. What is most important is whether your have met RO and if you haven’t what concrete proof you have that you have H&C reasons.