+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Expired (American)

123Traveller

Feb 7, 2018
Hi everyone, I just want to get clarification on something:
I'm a PR (American citizen, landed in 1982 and lived here ever since) with a PR card set to expire on April 8. Problem is, I booked a trip (not realizing card was expiring) to Netherlands with my family for April 18-May 2. Just a vacation, nothing urgent, but a real bummer if I have to cancel.

So, what I wanted clarified: as an American, can I travel from Netherlands back to Canada by plane with my valid US passport? I have the expired PR card for customs when I land, and can present other documents to show my PR status, but I'm worried about being let in the plane. Are American citizens still able to board a plane to Canada without showing anything else? Is it likely that the airline will ask for my pr card? (I've travelled extensively and this has never been asked of me until customs. But, still, I wonder!) any thoughts?

R

rish888

US citizens are both visa and eTA exempt. All you need to do is show your U.S. passport. At the airport don't mention that you're a PR, just show your American passport.

Once in Canada, show your expired PR card to customs and tell them that you've applied to renew the card. Canadian customs will be able to determine that you're a PR from the expired card. No worries here.

Also, after so many years of living in Canada, you should probably apply for citizenship.

tinycottage

Feb 2, 2018
I'm in almost the same situation as you, but leaving and hopefully returning within two weeks. I'm hoping this all goes as smoothly as the folks here have mentioned it should for US passport holders. I'll report back!

blupassion06

Apr 11, 2012
I'm in almost the same situation as you, but leaving and hopefully returning within two weeks. I'm hoping this all goes as smoothly as the folks here have mentioned it should for US passport holders. I'll report back!
Hi...I know this was a WHILE ago....how did you trip back go? I'm a US Citizen but my PR is expired..and still waiting on new card.