+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card expired,how can I get a driving license? Urgent help needed.

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
Hi, my PR card is expired and I can not renew my PR card yet because I do not meet the Residency obligation.
I do not have valid Primary ID requested by ICBC. They don't allow me to book an appointment for the knowledge test.
How Can I get a driving license?

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
Hi, my PR card is expired and I can not renew my PR card yet because I do not meet the Residency obligation.
I do not have valid Primary ID requested by ICBC. They don't allow me to book an appointment for the knowledge test.
How Can I get a driving license?
I guess BC Services Card or BC ID should work alongwith passport. Please check with ICBC

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The Primary ID requirements are the same for a BCID. Not sure how the OP is going to be able to get either without a valid PR card.

An expired DL or BCID is accepted up to 3 years after expiry, but not a PR card. It must be valid to obtain a DL.

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
The Primary ID requirements are the same for a BCID. Not sure how the OP is going to be able to get either without a valid PR card.

An expired DL or BCID is accepted up to 3 years after expiry, but not a PR card. It must be valid to obtain a DL.
I think OP talked about PR Card renewal, so assume must already have obtained BCID or BC Services Card when PR Card was valid. I suggested to check if those can be used as primary IDs for obtaining DL. Again, I clearly mentioned to check with ICBC because even I am not sure.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think OP talked about PR Card renewal, so assume must already have obtained BCID or BC Services Card when PR Card was valid. I suggested to check if those can be used as primary IDs for obtaining DL. Again, I clearly mentioned to check with ICBC because even I am not sure.
Normally, I would agree but the OP states that they do not have a valid Primary ID...which would include an expired DL, BCID or BC Services card...just not an expired PR card. Since the OP has not met the R.O., who knows how long they were outside of Canada and whether or not they even have/had a valid, or expired, BCID or BC Services Card. *shrug*

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022

Yes you are right.

The problem is I don't have drive licences, BCID, BC Service card, I don't have anything

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Yes you are right.

The problem is I don't have drive licences, BCID, BC Service card, I don't have anything
From today back five years, have many days do you have in which you were physically in Canada? Are any of this days dropping off, as in they were at beginning of five day period so that as another day in Canada occurs now you lose from that period?

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
From today back five years, have many days do you have in which you were physically in Canada? Are any of this days dropping off, as in they were at beginning of five day period so that as another day in Canada occurs now you lose from that period?
I got the PR in 2017. planned to settle in 2019, But then pregnant and had to stay in bed for 6 months. and then the Covid-19 begins. As I had to take my parents and my kids along to Canada, they are vulnerable to Covid. and China is really tight in Covid prevention. Lots of the flights are cancelled. So I thought I may have to wait for Covid to be over and then settle in B.C

I just stayed one month here in B.C. by far. I know I do not meet the obligation. Is it possible that I apply for PR card renewal on the grounds of Covid exemption?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got the PR in 2017. planned to settle in 2019, But then pregnant and had to stay in bed for 6 months. and then the Covid-19 begins. As I had to take my parents and my kids along to Canada, they are vulnerable to Covid. and China is really tight in Covid prevention. Lots of the flights are cancelled. So I thought I may have to wait for Covid to be over and then settle in B.C

I just stayed one month here in B.C. by far. I know I do not meet the obligation. Is it possible that I apply for PR card renewal on the grounds of Covid exemption?
Try to get your driver license from another province.

From what I heard, couldn't you stopover in HK and transfer flight to Canada?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't believe there is a `Covid exception' policy, or clause regarding failing to maintain Residency Obligation to maintain status.

You might want to speak with a qualified immigration lawyer about what would be your best option. This forum is provided by a law firm and they offer a free consultation.
Good luck!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Try to get your driver license from another province.

From what I heard, couldn't you stopover in HK and transfer flight to Canada?
I believe there would be a requirement for the person to actually reside/live in that other province.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Then why didn't you try to get a learner's before your PR expiry date?
I think the problem would be not being able to provide a status document as primary ID. Otherwise, a person that has overstayed (for example) could get an L.