+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card delivery envelope

dm239

Jan 15, 2023
Hello,

I've recently completed a soft landing in Canada as a new permanent resident. I have a UPS mailbox, which is the address I gave for delivery of my PR card. I want to get an idea of what the envelope will look like when it comes with the PR card so I can ask the UPS store to forward it to me in the UK. I have some other less important items of mail coming which I don't want to have forwarded.

Could someone who recently received their PR card by mail please describe in as much detail as possible what the envelope looked like? In particular:
  • What size was the envelope?
  • What colour was the envelope?
  • Was the address written on the envelope by hand or printed?
  • Was the address on a sticker affixed to the envelope or written directly on it?
  • Was there a plastic window in the envelope?
  • Was there a return address and if so, what was it?
  • Was there any logo or other writing anywhere on the envelope?
  • Any other information about the envelope?
  • Did the PR card for each family member come in a separate envelope or did the whole family's PR cards come in one envelope?
  • If each family member's PR card came in a separate envelope, did they all arrive on the same day or was there a gap in delivery times? If there was a gap, then how long was it?
Even better, could anybody share a photograph of the envelope (with your own address obscured of course)?

I have looked around this forum, reddit, youtube and elsewhere and there is conflicting information - perhaps they have changed their envelopes over time or perhaps they just use different envelopes. In any case I'm interested in finding up to date information.

I appreciate any information that you can share.

Thank you,

Daniel

Last edited:

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
Hello,

I've recently completed a soft landing in Canada as a new permanent resident. I have a UPS mailbox, which is the address I gave for delivery of my PR card. I want to get an idea of what the envelope will look like when it comes with the PR card so I can ask the UPS store to forward it to me in the UK. I have some other less important items of mail coming which I don't want to have forwarded.

Could someone who recently received their PR card by mail please describe in as much detail as possible what the envelope looked like? In particular:
  • Was the address on a sticker affixed to the envelope or written directly on it?
  • Did the PR card for each family member come in a separate envelope or did the whole family's PR cards come in one envelope?
  • If each family member's PR card came in a separate envelope, did they all arrive on the same day or was there a gap in delivery times? If there was a gap, then how long was it?
Even better, could anybody share a photograph of the envelope (with your own address obscured of course)?

I have looked around this forum, reddit, youtube and elsewhere and there is conflicting information - perhaps they have changed their envelopes over time or perhaps they just use different envelopes. In any case I'm interested in finding up to date information.

Thank you,

Daniel
https://pasteboard.co/82Sbdl0iy6aT.jpg

Reactions: dm239

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
How long did it take from the date that you received notification that PR card application approved till the date you actually received the card?

It said could take to 6 weeks... Is it true?

Thanks.
Its true. 6-8 weeks

Traveller535

Aug 5, 2021
Hello,

Thank you,

Daniel
Hi,

How did you get the ups mailbox address before landing? I tried contacting UPS by email with no luck.

Thanks.

thaen

Star Member
Dec 12, 2021
Hello,

Thank you,

Daniel
Hi, did you received the PR cards ? What is the status?

dm239

Jan 15, 2023
Hi,

How did you get the ups mailbox address before landing? I tried contacting UPS by email with no luck.

Thanks.
There are a lot of UPS stores around, so if you just contacted one and they didn't reply, I would suggest contacting another one. I would also suggest calling them on the phone rather than email because that way you will get information immediately. I called several UPS stores in the GTA to compare their prices - the price is different at each store. The one I eventually went with was the one on Worthington Ave in Brampton and it cost $218.09 for six months. The staff at the store were very helpful and polite.

My mailbox address had the form:

Suite #NNN
8-17 Worthington Ave
Brampton ON
Canada

Where NNN is the number of my personal mailbox. I would also recommend looking closely at the format of the address of the UPS store you pick. The one on Worthington Ave has "8-17" in the street address, this caused me a bit of a headache because various organizations like banks may have restrictions on the format of addresses that they can enter in their computer system. I had some letters arrive with incorrect variations like "8 17" and "8 TO 17". This made me worried that my PR card might not be received due to IRCC recording the address in some weird way, but fortunately it was received okay. If I were doing this again, I'd prefer to choose a UPS store that has a simple address with a single number so it looks like a normal house address.

One more piece of advice - when you pay for your mailbox, you obviously won't be able to collect your key immediately because you aren't in Canada yet. This means UPS will give you a virtual mailbox number. After you arrive and visit the store for the first time, they may ask you if you want to transition from a virtual mailbox to a physical mailbox. Don't do this, just keep the virtual mailbox. If you switch to a physical mailbox, you will get a new mailbox number, different from the original one which you will have given to the border officer when they signed your COPR, which is a problem - you want your address to stay the same.

My PR card arrived at the UPS store on Jun/05/2023, 67 days after my landing which was on Mar/30/2023 - it was delayed because I had to resubmit a new photograph. The UPS store sent me a notification with a picture of the envelope. The envelope looked identical to the picture that mr.preetsingh kindly shared so I knew what it was and asked them to forward it to me. It cost $84.63 for them to forward it to me in the UK and it arrived after a few days.

I hope this information is useful for someone.

BRL4

Jun 15, 2023
There are a lot of UPS stores around, so if you just contacted one and they didn't reply, I would suggest contacting another one. I would also suggest calling them on the phone rather than email because that way you will get information immediately. I called several UPS stores in the GTA to compare their prices - the price is different at each store. The one I eventually went with was the one on Worthington Ave in Brampton and it cost $218.09 for six months. The staff at the store were very helpful and polite.

Suite #NNN
8-17 Worthington Ave
Brampton ON
Canada

Where NNN is the number of my personal mailbox. I would also recommend looking closely at the format of the address of the UPS store you pick. The one on Worthington Ave has "8-17" in the street address, this caused me a bit of a headache because various organizations like banks may have restrictions on the format of addresses that they can enter in their computer system. I had some letters arrive with incorrect variations like "8 17" and "8 TO 17". This made me worried that my PR card might not be received due to IRCC recording the address in some weird way, but fortunately it was received okay. If I were doing this again, I'd prefer to choose a UPS store that has a simple address with a single number so it looks like a normal house address.

One more piece of advice - when you pay for your mailbox, you obviously won't be able to collect your key immediately because you aren't in Canada yet. This means UPS will give you a virtual mailbox number. After you arrive and visit the store for the first time, they may ask you if you want to transition from a virtual mailbox to a physical mailbox. Don't do this, just keep the virtual mailbox. If you switch to a physical mailbox, you will get a new mailbox number, different from the original one which you will have given to the border officer when they signed your COPR, which is a problem - you want your address to stay the same.

My PR card arrived at the UPS store on Jun/05/2023, 67 days after my landing which was on Mar/30/2023 - it was delayed because I had to resubmit a new photograph. The UPS store sent me a notification with a picture of the envelope. The envelope looked identical to the picture that mr.preetsingh kindly shared so I knew what it was and asked them to forward it to me. It cost $84.63 for them to forward it to me in the UK and it arrived after a few days.

Hi there,
This thread has been SO helpful! Thank you. My husband and I will be doing our “soft landing” in July. We will be giving our friends address in Vancouver for our PR cards, and then once they arrive there, they will post to us in the UK, as we can only be away for a couple short weeks. We’ll move properly next year. Can I ask…at which point did you give the address for posting the PR card? Will the immigration officers at the border ask for it?
best wishes.

thaen

Star Member
Dec 12, 2021

Suite #NNN
8-17 Worthington Ave
Brampton ON
Canada

Really useful, thanks

dm239

Jan 15, 2023
Hi there,
This thread has been SO helpful! Thank you. My husband and I will be doing our “soft landing” in July. We will be giving our friends address in Vancouver for our PR cards, and then once they arrive there, they will post to us in the UK, as we can only be away for a couple short weeks. We’ll move properly next year. Can I ask…at which point did you give the address for posting the PR card? Will the immigration officers at the border ask for it?
best wishes.
Yes, you will give your friend's address to the immigration officer when you first enter Canada. Here is a detailed description of my experience landing at Pearson airport in Toronto, I presume the process will be similar at other major airports such as in Vancouver:

When I got off the plane, there was a security man of some description immediately at the gate where I entered the terminal. He was taking a brief look at everybody's passports. I tried to show him my COPR, but he wasn't interested in that and said I'd need to show it to somebody else further along. I followed the signs and came to a place with self-service machines where I had to let the machine take a photo of my face, scan my passport and answer a few questions about what I had with me etc. I had to bend down to eye level with the camera to get it to take my picture because I am tall and the camera does not move and it also doesn't give you any instructions - it just kept saying it failed to take the photo until I decided to try bending down. The machine then printed off a little form resembling a receipt which I had to carry with me.

I followed the signs further along and came to an area with some other self service machines, but I think these were just for people with Nexus cards. I walked past and came to an immigration officer at a desk. I showed him my passport, COPR and the form that I had from the self service machine. He took a marker and drew some pattern on the form and told me to go on through. I proceeded and came to another security man who asked to see my form from the self service machine. I showed it to him and he directed me off into an office with more immigration officers at desks. I waited in the queue and then approached one of the desks.

I handed my passport and COPR to the immigration officer and she asked me a few basic questions. She kept my passport and COPR and directed me to take a seat and wait. After a few minutes she called me back over. She asked me some more questions, including the "statutory questions" (i.e. have you ever been convicted of a crime? etc). I answered no to all the statutory questions and she got me to write "No" and my initials against each question on the COPR. She asked me to write down my address and I wrote down the UPS mailbox address. Lastly, she told me to sign the COPR and she signed it as well. I had two copies of the COPR, she kept one and returned the other to me. She also returned my passport and said we were finished. I had a whole load of supporting documents with me, but she didn't ask to see any of these. I then left the airport.

I recommend that before you leave you take inventory and make 100% sure that you actually have every party member's passport and COPR and that the COPR has been signed. The immigration officer actually forgot to hand over our copy of my wife's COPR until I reminded her and asked for it before we left. If we had left without this, it would have been a massive ballache.