+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card collected by CIC.

HK96

Jan 4, 2019
Hi all.

I applied for citizenship for my minor son months ago. When I applied I had to send copies of his PR card with the application. Today, I received a letter from CIC that I need to send them the original card since they have to collect it before they approve his citizenship. Anybody received the same request?

Edit: Hi all, again. In the meantime I reallized that it is probably part of the final phase of the process. I was reminded that PR cards are collected at the oath ceremony except for minors under 14 who don't need to attend the oath. My son is under 14 so it makes sense that they would request me to send in his PR card.

Last edited:

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Hi all.

I applied for citizenship for my minor son months ago. When I applied I had to send copies of his PR card with the application. Today, I received a letter from CIC that I need to send them the original card since they have to collect it before they approve his citizenship. My biggest worry is that we are visiting family outside of Canada in a few months and I don't want any complications for my son when we reenter Canada since Permanent residents must provide their PR card before they can return to the country. Anybody had the same issue?
Are you sure this is a real request from the CIC? Was it a paper letter or email?

I would call them up, because my understanding is that the PR card is collected at the oath ceremony. At which point you then need a Canadian passport which can be requested about 48h after oath, and can be processed as quickly as a day in urgent cases, or a few weeks normal processing time.

Could be different for a minor I guess; but I'd still see if you can contact them via phone. Difficult as that may be.

Last edited:

HK96

Jan 4, 2019
Thank you for your answer. Yes it is real. The address they asked me to send it to is on the CIC website. The reason they do this is because there is no oath ceremony for minors under 14.

alienzz-00

Star Member
May 8, 2019
This was asked a week ago but Ill give an answer anyways because we applied for a minor in September and got the same request last month. If they asked for the PR card that means that they want it to be able to send you the citizenship certificate. Make sure you send it to the same PO Box in the email along with a print out of the email. You'll get the the certificate a couple of weeks after they receive the PR card.

Congratulations!!

HK96

Jan 4, 2019
This was asked a week ago but Ill give an answer anyways because we applied for a minor in September and got the same request last month. If they asked for the PR card that means that they want it to be able to send you the citizenship certificate. Make sure you send it to the same PO Box in the email along with a print out of the email. You'll get the the certificate a couple of weeks after they receive the PR card.

Congratulations!!
Thank you.

nlhugh

Star Member
Feb 6, 2017
Hi. Can someone share in how long you would receive the citizenship certificate after CPC Sydney received your original PR card? And will there be any status updates on ECAS/tracker? Thanks.

QueenPeaches

Star Member
Jun 10, 2021
Hi. Can someone share in how long you would receive the citizenship certificate after CPC Sydney received your original PR card? And will there be any status updates on ECAS/tracker? Thanks.
You may have to read up on what the current processes are. IRCC dies not request for the PR card to be sent to Sydney anymore.

• Wow
Reactions: nlhugh

nlhugh

Star Member
Feb 6, 2017
You may have to read up on what the current processes are. IRCC dies not request for the PR card to be sent to Sydney anymore.
No, you're talking about the adult/family applications.
This post is about the process for application for minor under 14 under subsection 5(1).

IRCC requested for the original PR card last month, I sent it to Sydney, and they acknowledged receiving it more than 2 weeks ago, but no further updates since then.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
No, you're talking about the adult/family applications.
This post is about the process for application for minor under 14 under subsection 5(1).

IRCC requested for the original PR card last month, I sent it to Sydney, and they acknowledged receiving it more than 2 weeks ago, but no further updates since then.
I'm not sure about the subsection reference but I think we're talking about the same thing, and I'm at roughly the same stage:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/citizenship-application-for-children.606330/post-9994777

Actually you're likely several weeks ahead of where we are (submitted the PR card and waiting, not yet acknowledged though).

I think you'll find that thread the most recent with such cases, hopefully easier to follow there (the more the merrier!).

nlhugh

Star Member
Feb 6, 2017
I'm not sure about the subsection reference but I think we're talking about the same thing, and I'm at roughly the same stage:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/citizenship-application-for-children.606330/post-9994777

Actually you're likely several weeks ahead of where we are (submitted the PR card and waiting, not yet acknowledged though).

I think you'll find that thread the most recent with such cases, hopefully easier to follow there (the more the merrier!).
My kid's status tracker was just updated today:

Your citizenship application status: Closed
Reason: We have approved your application to become a Canadian citizen.

Congratulations!
You are now a Canadian citizen. Welcome to the Canadian family!

Within the next few weeks, you’ll receive documents and information for your next steps as a new citizen.
Let's see in how long we'll receive the certificate.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
How long was the delay between you returning the card and getting acknowledgement from IRCC that they received it?

(Getting to over three weeks and probably nervous for no reason)

nlhugh

Star Member
Feb 6, 2017
How long was the delay between you returning the card and getting acknowledgement from IRCC that they received it?

(Getting to over three weeks and probably nervous for no reason)
For me, it appeared they acknowledged as soon as they received it, in about a week, which was also the time XpressPost took to deliver it.
The wait from after their acknowledgment to status closed was almost a month.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
For me, it appeared they acknowledged as soon as they received it, in about a week, which was also the time XpressPost took to deliver it.
The wait from after their acknowledgment to status closed was almost a month.
Damn, now I am worried. Thank you.

• Sad

nlhugh

Star Member
Feb 6, 2017
Damn, now I am worried. Thank you.
Which address did you send the PR card to? And what carrier did you use?

When I read it up, I felt that it has to be sent to the P.O. box in their email, that is dedicated for Additional document requests.
I think if you send it to the regular address, or the street address (for courier), it won't end up in the correct 'inbox'.
So then even I wanted to send it using courier (e.g: UPS...), I had to use Canada Post Xpresspost because only Canada Post services have access to P.O boxes.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Which address did you send the PR card to? And what carrier did you use?
I don't recall which exact address, but I followed the instructions exactly. And I sent it [something something] Canada Post ie registered I think.

And I included the page with instructions to send it to them, i.e. so it could not be mistaken why it was being sent.