+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card as ID for minor applications

maddy044

Jan 22, 2016
Apologies if this has been asked before, can PR card be used as acceptable ID for a minors citizenship application?

I have seen posts where people have said no but never seen anyone provide a credible source for the information. Maybe they have first hand experience of rejection? Responses would be appreciated.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Apologies if this has been asked before, can PR card be used as acceptable ID for a minors citizenship application?

I have seen posts where people have said no but never seen anyone provide a credible source for the information. Maybe they have first hand experience of rejection? Responses would be appreciated.
You didn't mention which sub-section you are applying under. Generally, most minors apply under Section 5(2) where at least one parent is applying for citizenship along with the minor.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html#step2
  • Photocopy of two (2) pieces of personal identification.
    Both pieces of identification should show the minor’s name and date of birth, one of which must have a photo on it.
    Examples include:
    • school record;
    • health insurance card;
    • a passport page containing their photo and personal details;
    • a hospital or immunization record, may be provided.
    • Note: If there is information on both sides of the identification document, photocopy both sides.
There is NO mention of PR card here.

You can submit something like a foreign passport and their health insurance card for your child if at least one parent is applying with the child.

Compare this with the "Personal Identification" for minors applying under 5(1) where the minor doesn't have any Canadian parents AND neither parent is applying for citizenship at the same time as the minor

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0403-citizenship-minors-subsection-5-1.html#step3

e) Photocopy of two (2) pieces of identification, one which must have a photo. Examples include:

• a copy of the biographical page of the minor’s passport or travel document can be used as one (1) piece of identification;
  • permanent resident card (PR card);
    • A PR card may only be used as personal identification if your second piece of personal identification was issued by the Canadian government.

This is based on what I see on the IRCC website. May be someone who recently applied with a minor can confirm this!

maddy044

Jan 22, 2016
You didn't mention which sub-section you are applying under. Generally, most minors apply under Section 5(2) where at least one parent is applying for citizenship along with the minor.

You can submit something like a foreign passport and their health insurance card for your child if at least one parent is applying with the child.

Compare this with the "Personal Identification" for minors applying under 5(1) where the minor doesn't have any Canadian parents AND neither parent is applying for citizenship at the same time as the minor

This is based on what I see on the IRCC website. May be someone who recently applied with a minor can confirm this!
Thank you for the reply, the inquiry is for a family member applying for their minor under section 5 (2). Upon researching there is no concrete info on this topic.

The instruction guide for section 5(2) does not mention PR card at all but does that mean it’s not an acceptable form of ID? The instruction guide under step 2 “Gather the minor’s documents” says:
“Photocopy of two (2) pieces of personal identification.
Both pieces of identification should show the minor’s name and date of birth, one of which must have a photo on it.”

If this is the only basis of acceptable identification a PR card would be acceptable right?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thank you for the reply, the inquiry is for a family member applying for their minor under section 5 (2). Upon researching there is no concrete info on this topic.

The instruction guide for section 5(2) does not mention PR card at all but does that mean it’s not an acceptable form of ID? The instruction guide under step 2 “Gather the minor’s documents” says:
Both pieces of identification should show the minor’s name and date of birth, one of which must have a photo on it.”

If this is the only basis of acceptable identification a PR card would be acceptable right?
The instruction guide does NOT explicitly mention that PR card is NOT permitted. So, that part is in your favor.

Well, go ahead and submit 2 ID documents (including PR card). I think they might accept it but this is only my opinion.

The absolute worst that can happen is your application will be returned and you'll have to re-send the application again.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
For your peace of mind why don't you submit an ID which is listed as an example on the website? It can be very painful waiting for AORs for months and asking yourself if your application will be accepted or returned because of providing a PR card as an ID for your son. When I applied as a family last year the website specifically said a PR card cannot be used as a piece of ID for minor. Looks like the website was updated and they don't mention that information anymore. Don't you have any others IDs for your minor?

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

maddy044

Jan 22, 2016
For your peace of mind why don't you submit an ID which is listed as an example on the website? It can be very painful waiting for AORs for months and asking yourself if your application will be accepted or returned because of providing a PR card as an ID for your son. When I applied as a family last year the website specifically said a PR card cannot be used as a piece of ID for minor. Looks like the website was updated and they don't mention that information anymore. Don't you have any others IDs for your minor?
Application has already been submitted with PR card as a piece of ID. Since the instruction guide does not explicitly prohibit that and a PR card falls perfectly under this requirement

I really don’t see an issue with it. I guess time will tell, or somebody that has first hand experience with this after apparently, the rules were changed.

P.S if indeed it is not an acceptable form of ID it is extremely irresponsible of IRCC to not explicitly mention this in the instruction which is literally the only official guide to anyone going through this already stressful and complicated process

muralie krishna

Star Member
Apr 14, 2020

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html

To be eligible for a grant of Canadian citizenship, the minor must:
  • be under 18 years of age at the time the application is signed;
  • be a permanent resident of Canada;
  • have at least one parent (includes legally adoptive parent) who is a Canadian citizen or who will become a citizen at the same time as the minor (applying together as a family).

A parent is not required to apply along with the minor. If one of the parents is a citizen even then the minor can use subsection 5(2) which is what i did for my son. So i am pretty sure i am correct.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html

To be eligible for a grant of Canadian citizenship, the minor must:
  • be under 18 years of age at the time the application is signed;
  • be a permanent resident of Canada;
  • have at least one parent (includes legally adoptive parent) who is a Canadian citizen or who will become a citizen at the same time as the minor (applying together as a family).

A parent is not required to apply along with the minor. If one of the parents is a citizen even then the minor can use subsection 5(2) which is what i did for my son. So i am pretty sure i am correct.
My bad. If a parent is becoming a citizen at the same time OR if a parent is already a citizen, then the minor can apply under 5(2).