+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Application Issues

Yohaank

Dec 10, 2019
Hi everyone. I've just run into some issues with the PR card application process and im hoping i can get some info here.

My wife and i completed our first landing earlier this year, May the 17th to be precise. We provided a Canadian address of a family member for the PR card application and everything went fine. Upon returning back to Dubai and waiting for over 6 weeks, we contacted the Authorities stating we still have not received the card at said address. They then informed us that the address would be updated and the cards would be mailed out. We assumed that the officer at the airport probably did not file the address.

We waited some more and then filled out solemn declarations for the both of us and sent these to the PR card centre in Nova Scotia. Yesterday, our family member received my wifes PR card. The next we received a note regarding my PR card stating that i had not provided an address during the 180 day period after entering Canada and would now have to apply for a new PR card.

After checking the link provided :https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-renew-replace-permanent-resident-card.html

and navigating to the instruction guide (IMM 5445) and reading through it, we are extremely confused.
Do i have to be back in Canada to apply for a PR card or can this be done from Dubai?
The guide states that "If you are outside Canada and do not have a valid PR Card to return, you must get a Permanent Resident Travel Document from a Visa Application Centre or a Canadian visa office."

Does anyone have experience with this ? If this has happened to you before please do let me know.
Apologies for the long read.

Last edited:

Rel23

Nov 8, 2019
You'll need to apply for the PR card yourself because of the signature part. You have to also apply for PRTD in Dubai (if there's a processing office there) so you can come back in the country.