+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card and Citizenship processing times

sharedknowledge

Nov 30, 2012
Dear all,

Just like the visa offices, I thought processing times to receive PR would be different for each province/city. If that is the case, then which province(s) have the fastest processing time for PR?

At landing, do I have to provide mailing address for receiving the PRC in the same province so that I will be eligible for receiving it with that province's processing time? Or, can I specify address at any other place?

Similarly, do the processing times differ among cities/provinces for Citizenship applications? Can I apply for citizenship from that province if I was living in a place other than that city/province?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
PR card processing times are the same for all provinces.

Citizenship process times vary office to office (not just province to province). Where you citizenship application is processed will be determined by your home address. No - you can't have your citizenship application processed through a province or city where you are not living.

sharedknowledge

Nov 30, 2012
scylla said:
PR card processing times are the same for all provinces.

Citizenship process times vary office to office (not just province to province). Where you citizenship application is processed will be determined by your home address. No - you can't have your citizenship application processed through a province or city where you are not living.
So, is it that PRC is a federal issue, and that's why its processing is irrespective of where you land, but citizenship is a provincial/local matter and its processing time may vary from province to another. Then, from where I can know which provinces process citizenship fast? Also, how much is the minimum period required to live in a certain place so that citizenship maybe applied from that place's office?

What about Health insurance and Social insurance cards? they look like provincial/local matters as well. I read elsewhere that, e.g., if you land in Toronto, it may take up to 3 months to get these cards whereas in Alberta, for example, these are provided at the time of landing. If so, which provinces provide fast delivery of these docs.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Citizenship is a federal matter. Different offices have different processing times due to application volumes. The processing times aren't posted and change regularly. If you want to know approximately how long your local office will take then you should return to this forum in four years once you are actually ready to submit your citizenship application.

Health insurance is a provincial matter. Some provinces (such as Ontario) have a three month waiting period before you qualify. You should not pick a province to land in based on how quickly you will get health care. You should pick a province based on where you want to live and where you think you will be able to get a job.

You will qualify for a Social Insurance Number as soon as you land regardless of the province.

sharedknowledge

Nov 30, 2012
scylla said:
Citizenship is a federal matter. Different offices have different processing times due to application volumes. The processing times aren't posted and change regularly. If you want to know approximately how long your local office will take then you should return to this forum in four years once you are actually ready to submit your citizenship application.

Health insurance is a provincial matter. Some provinces (such as Ontario) have a three month waiting period before you qualify. You should not pick a province to land in based on how quickly you will get health care. You should pick a province based on where you want to live and where you think you will be able to get a job.

You will qualify for a Social Insurance Number as soon as you land regardless of the province.
Thanks, Scylla for your insight. I have no idea which province will be the best. I know that most people head to Toronto by default. I wonder if there is sizable community of South Asians in any other places apart from the job itself.

Aah ...I am already feeling sick with this 4 years thing :(