+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card After Passport Renewal

karan321

Star Member
Jun 30, 2021
Hello Everyone,

My question is my passport is gonna expire in one year. And, i already possess a PR card. If i renew my passport, what happens to already existing PR Card?

Do i have to renew PR Card after passport renewal?
or Do i have to just inform IRCC about passport renewal?
or i have to take existing PR Card + old passport + new passport every time i travel?

if anyone can share official info. that would be great!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello Everyone,

My question is my passport is gonna expire in one year. And, i already possess a PR card. If i renew my passport, what happens to already existing PR Card?

Do i have to renew PR Card after passport renewal?
or Do i have to just inform IRCC about passport renewal?
or i have to take existing PR Card + old passport + new passport every time i travel?

if anyone can share official info. that would be great!
You don't have to notify them or do anything, the PR card does not contain info about the specific passport.

Only exception is if your new passport will somehow make it hard/impossible to see that "you are you" i.e. names and date of birth etc don't match. Basically name changes.

Of course won't be any harm if you bring your old passport just in case.

(There may be some unusual cases where eg photos look completely different and not much other supporting id or passport from different country where questions might come up about linking "you to you", but for the most part - they can match you to your PR card / UCI# (which is also the PR card number) if name dob etc match. Also some people with common names and by chance a doppelganger with same DOB - as unlikely as it seems, it apparently happens).