+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

pr cannot drive us plated car? why not?

claxtonCT

Star Member
Oct 11, 2008
I read two times now (in forum posts) that as a canadian PR I'm not supposed to drive US car with US license plates on, is that true? If it is, where does it says it's not?

I'm in the process of bringing my car in Canada from the USA. To get the car titled in Ontario you first have to drive the car to get the modifications they want and drive the car to Canadian Tire for inspection... among other things (like Safety Standards Certificate, Drive Clean Vehicle Emissions Pass Report) you MUST drive the car in order to get registered and plated in Ontario.

My problem is that I just landed and I need to use the car ASAP to go to work, as there is limited access to transit here. I was planning to drive the car with US license plates until the car passes the inspection and I can get it plated here. The registration is valid, it has valid insurance and I have a valid Ontario Driver's License.

is anybody here familiar with this issue? has anybody done this before? any valid information is appreciated.

J1visa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2009
If you have imported it when landing, that is fine, you can drive with the US plate for 3 months. If you have not imported it when you landed, you can drive with the US plate as well but when you import it, you have to pay tax.

claxtonCT

Star Member
Oct 11, 2008
thanks.

I have not imported when I landed (came by plane) but the car is listed on my goods to follow list, it was stamped by the imm officer at landing. If it is in my goods to follow list, I don't have to pay taxes in any case right?

the issue is that I'm driving the car from Georgia to Niagara Falls, ON. I'm driving over the weekend, US customs does not export cars on weekends, they told me I have to do it monday morning. I plan do drive it into canada on sunday afternoon, sleep at home in niagara falls, ON and then monday morning cross the border to the again drive up to the bridge they handle exporting and do exporting/importing.

I don't want to leave the car in niagara falls, ny overnight (and have to walk the bridge) when I have a garage at home in niagara falls, ON.

Does anybody see a problem with that?

Thanks!

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
There is a difference between having PR status and being a legal resident of Canada. If you have PR status, but are a legal resident of the U.S. and not Canada, you can drive your U.S. plated vehicle all over Canada if you want.

If you are a resident of Canada, then no you can't.

max_lee

May 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2008
AOR Received.
01-11-2008
IELTS Request
02-03-2009
Med's Request
29-05-2009
Med's Done....
10-06-2009
Passport Req..
02-22-1010
VISA ISSUED...
02-25-1010
LANDED..........
01-04-2010
Hi Links18,

do you have any links to what you have mentioned, I am asking this as I want to take a print out and keep with me next time I drive my US Plated car into Canada as I was put into a lot of hazzle last time while completing my landing by CBSA. I am on H1B and work in US and live in US although I have completed my landing and have become a PR of Canada.

Rgds

Max

claxtonCT

Star Member
Oct 11, 2008
I understand completely the terminology of a resident of canada (holding canadian driver's license) not been allowed to drive a US plated car everyday, BUT there must be a period of time a canadian resident is allowed to drive the car with us plates after he/she became resident, otherwise it would not make sense. IE people who settle here have 60 days to drive around with their out of province/out of country driver's license, that's clear but how about license plates? I'm trying to get the website link that explains how long after becoming a resident one can drive with out-of-province plates but this is very complicated matter, as involves MTO, RIV and Canadian Customs.

I'm really need some clarification because I got to work. I'm trying to do my own research and contacting all theses departments but with no success yet, therefore IF you are familiar with this, if you have done this in the past and you know how it work or have a link explaining this please share here with us!

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
max_lee said:
Hi Links18,

do you have any links to what you have mentioned, I am asking this as I want to take a print out and keep with me next time I drive my US Plated car into Canada as I was put into a lot of hazzle last time while completing my landing by CBSA. I am on H1B and work in US and live in US although I have completed my landing and have become a PR of Canada.

Rgds

Max
I don't have any links. Did you hire an attorney to help with your application? If so, why not ask your attorney for a letter stating their legal opinion that a Canadian PR who is not in fact a legal resident of Canada can drive their U.S. plated vehicle in Canada w/o having to import it. If CBSA gives you trouble, produce the letter. That might work or it might not. CBSA is going to do what they are going to do. It doesn't mean they are right. That's why there is an appeal process and a court system. There is nothing you can do to guarantee you will not get an unfavourable decision from CBSA at the border. Every officer is authorized to use a certain amount of discretion; but they aren't flawless.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
claxtonCT said:
I understand completely the terminology of a resident of canada (holding canadian driver's license) not been allowed to drive a US plated car everyday, BUT there must be a period of time a canadian resident is allowed to drive the car with us plates after he/she became resident, otherwise it would not make sense. IE people who settle here have 60 days to drive around with their out of province/out of country driver's license, that's clear but how about license plates? I'm trying to get the website link that explains how long after becoming a resident one can drive with out-of-province plates but this is very complicated matter, as involves MTO, RIV and Canadian Customs.

I'm really need some clarification because I got to work. I'm trying to do my own research and contacting all theses departments but with no success yet, therefore IF you are familiar with this, if you have done this in the past and you know how it work or have a link explaining this please share here with us!
It depends on the province. Manitoba gives you 90 days to drive around on your old plates, before you must register the car there. During that time, the vehicle must be registered and insured in your old jurisdiction. RIV might give you less time to get the inspection and modifications done. But just because you get the RIV done, doesn't mean you have to register the car right away if your province gives you more time. I know its complicated.

max_lee

May 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2008
AOR Received.
01-11-2008
IELTS Request
02-03-2009
Med's Request
29-05-2009
Med's Done....
10-06-2009
Passport Req..
02-22-1010
VISA ISSUED...
02-25-1010
LANDED..........
01-04-2010
links18 said:
I don't have any links. Did you hire an attorney to help with your application? If so, why not ask your attorney for a letter stating their legal opinion that a Canadian PR who is not in fact a legal resident of Canada can drive their U.S. plated vehicle in Canada w/o having to import it. If CBSA gives you trouble, produce the letter. That might work or it might not. CBSA is going to do what they are going to do. It doesn't mean they are right. That's why there is an appeal process and a court system. There is nothing you can do to guarantee you will not get an unfavourable decision from CBSA at the border. Every officer is authorized to use a certain amount of discretion; but they aren't flawless.
I did not hire an attorney to process my case, just a consultancy agency, I checked with them and they also mentioned that this is the first case they are coming across with this issue, I know for sure that they have other clients like myself who are presently in US on H1B but have got Canadian PR through their firm as I was recomended by a couple of them who had got it through this agency. I am confused now as I do need to make a few trips across to Mississuaga for official purpose, earlier I had a visit visa which allowed me to drive my car, but now with me being a Canadian PR and my earlier experience at Ambassador bridge I am worried as to how to make the trip, my only option would be to fly to Toronto but I do need to check if I would ever be able to drive from US in my car again.

Max

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
max_lee said:
I did not hire an attorney to process my case, just a consultancy agency, I checked with them and they also mentioned that this is the first case they are coming across with this issue, I know for sure that they have other clients like myself who are presently in US on H1B but have got Canadian PR through their firm as I was recomended by a couple of them who had got it through this agency. I am confused now as I do need to make a few trips across to Mississuaga for official purpose, earlier I had a visit visa which allowed me to drive my car, but now with me being a Canadian PR and my earlier experience at Ambassador bridge I am worried as to how to make the trip, my only option would be to fly to Toronto but I do need to check if I would ever be able to drive from US in my car again.

Max
I would show them your U.S. driver's license and some other proof that you still have residential ties to the United States: proof that you are still working there, a utility bill or something. On your initial landing they may have given you a hard time, because they assumed that you were there to stay. Having PR status should not prevent you from being able to drive a U.S. car into Canada if you successfully convince CBSA you are there on an "exploratory visit." However, as I said before CBSA officers have some discretion to determine your intentions and they do not always get it right.

SINP 2017

Oct 11, 2016
I read two times now (in forum posts) that as a canadian PR I'm not supposed to drive US car with US license plates on, is that true? If it is, where does it says it's not?

I'm in the process of bringing my car in Canada from the USA. To get the car titled in Ontario you first have to drive the car to get the modifications they want and drive the car to Canadian Tire for inspection... among other things (like Safety Standards Certificate, Drive Clean Vehicle Emissions Pass Report) you MUST drive the car in order to get registered and plated in Ontario.

My problem is that I just landed and I need to use the car ASAP to go to work, as there is limited access to transit here. I was planning to drive the car with US license plates until the car passes the inspection and I can get it plated here. The registration is valid, it has valid insurance and I have a valid Ontario Driver's License.

is anybody here familiar with this issue? has anybody done this before? any valid information is appreciated.
Hello,

I am in the same situation as you were in the past. Could you find the solution? Pls share your experience. This will be extremely helpful.