+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR cancellation

Me to life

Oct 2, 2020
Hi everyone. I am posting my background so you can better assist me.
I came to Canada on visitor visa.I got married 8months back here to family friend of mine. I registered my marriage and applied for spousal PR and work permit in May. After 4 months wait I have got only this online status of received application. Haven't receive my PR yet. Process is delayed due to Covid.
My actual question is in all these months things are not working between me and my husband. I am planning to get a divorce from him now.My husband was previously divorce here.I think he fear the consequences of his second divorce so he tries to manipulate me by saying the moment you will apply for divorce you will loose your PR which fears me alot. Staying here and doing something for myself is the last resort.
Please let me know if its true? If I apply for divorce in between or end of my process will I loose my PR?

Last edited:

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Hi everyone. I am posting my background so you can better assisst me.
I have moved to Canada an year ago. I got married 8months back here. I registered my marriage and applied for spousal PR and work permit in May. After 4 months wait I have got only this online status of received application.
My actual question is in all these months things are not working between me and my husband. I am planning to get a divorce from him now.My husband was previously divorce here.I think he fears the consequences after his second divorce so he tries to manipulate me by saying the moment you will apply for divorce you will loose your PR which fears me alot. Staying here and doing something for myself is the last resort.
Please let me know of its true? if I apply for divorce in between or end of my process will I loose my PR?
I'm confused...it sounds like you have just applied for PR, but haven't received it yet. Yes, if you divorce at this time, you will no longer qualify for PR. That said, if you proceed with the intention of divorcing right after you receive your PR, you could be misrepresenting the facts (i.e., marriage of convenience) and could have your PR stripped anyway.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi, yes I haven't received my PR yet, things are delayed due to Covid. Thanks alot.
If you’re planning on divorcing the sponsor , he or you should be notifying immigration and withdrawing the application
It’s a breakdown in the relationship
You can’t loose something you haven’t been granted
Look at it this way . You came on a visitors visa , got hitched , put in a PR application ,months later then divorced
Not YEARS but MONTHS
How do you think that looks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone. I am posting my background so you can better assist me.
I came to Canada on visitor visa.I got married 8months back here to family friend of mine. I registered my marriage and applied for spousal PR and work permit in May. After 4 months wait I have got only this online status of received application. Haven't receive my PR yet. Process is delayed due to Covid.
My actual question is in all these months things are not working between me and my husband. I am planning to get a divorce from him now.My husband was previously divorce here.I think he fear the consequences of his second divorce so he tries to manipulate me by saying the moment you will apply for divorce you will loose your PR which fears me alot. Staying here and doing something for myself is the last resort.
Please let me know if its true? If I apply for divorce in between or end of my process will I loose my PR?
You are a very long way off to getting PR. Best case scenario you may be approved May 2021. If your husband divorces you before the application is approved, you will no longer qualify for PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This what he is been saying me. In that case do I have to apply for new application?
Yes, you would have to submit a brand new application and qualify for PR on your own through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry based on your education, skilled work experience, language test scores, age, and other factors.

Reactions: Me to life

MAIL2SUNDAREEE

Star Member
Oct 25, 2019
Mis-understanding is common among newly married couple and it is common for couple to have some fights in day-to-day life. Do you think Divorce is the only option?
Do you need only the PR not your husband?
or you dont need both PR and husband?